• USF Bulls fans join us at The Bulls Pen

It's simple, free and connects you to other South Florida Bulls fans!

• Members do not see this ad, Register

The Bulls arrive in Vero Beach!

• Replies 101
  • Created
  • Last Reply

• Group:  Member
  • Topic Count:  0
  • Content Count:  18,470
  • Days Won:  44

Bulls get settled quickly at Dodgertown

Posted August 09, 2010 by Scott Carter

VERO BEACH – In their first 24 hours here at the Vero Beach Sports Village, the USF Bulls appear to quickly have found a home away from home.

Shortly after arriving Sunday night, USF held team meetings and a team barbecue. The players also listened to the coaching staff talk about goals for the season and provide a history lesson about Dodgertown, the former spring training home of the Brooklyn and Los Angles Dodgers.

“This was built for a professional team to come to camp,’’ USF coach Skip Holtz said following Monday’s practice. “We’re not just at a camp. We’re at Dodgertown, and the legends that have walked across these fields and stayed in these dorm rooms and eaten in this dining facility. I think that’s part of what they need to understand. This is when you build a team.’’

Holtz told the team about Jackie Robinson and other great Dodgers who once played here in preparation for the season. While the facility is geared more for baseball, the Bulls had no problem with practicing in the outfield of one of the fields adjacent to Holman Stadium.

“I think the attitude and morale are great,’’ Holtz said. “The people here have been great. It’s a great set-up for our players right now.’’

MR. POPULARITY: The most popular player with the media on Monday was redshirt freshman receiver Isaac Virgin, who played in high school at nearby Fort Pierce Westwood. The same school also produced former major league catcher Charles Johnson.

Virgin’s parents and an uncle and cousin stopped by to watch the Bulls practice Monday. Despite his home only being about 10 minutes south down U.S. 1 from Vero Beach, Virgin can live with the fact he won’t be allowed to leave the complex for a home-cooked meal.

“I’m trying to get better every day of the week,’’ Virgin said. “I’m fully protein right now. I can’t go back to (home-cooked meals). I’ve got to keep my body healthy. There are a lot of things I wish I could eat, but I can’t go back to that right now.’’

PACE PICKS UP: The Bulls practiced in full pads for the first time on Monday. While Holtz limits how much live contact is allowed to try and keep players healthy, quarterback B.J. Daniels said he noticed a different mood.

“It picked up a little bit. Guys were bouncing around a little more excited,’’ Daniels said. “It doesn’t seem like a big difference, but it’s as close to a live situation as we’re going to get.’’

INJURY REPORT: OL Jacob Sims, OL Jeremiah Warren and TE Chase Griffiths were held out of practice Monday for precautionary reasons. All three are suffering from concussion-like symptoms from contact earlier in camp.

The most notable players to struggle with heat-related issues Monday were DE Ryne Giddins, DT Cory Grissom and TE Jeff Hawkins. Giddins and Grissom returned for significant reps, but Hawkins sat out most of the afternoon.

Holtz is expected to add another walk-on to the roster in the next couple of days to replace WR Colby Erskin, who suffered a torn ACL on Saturday and is scheduled to have the fourth major knee surgery of his career soon.

BULLS BITS: USF 2010 signee Michael Hayes, who rushed for more than 1,200 yards last season at Blinn (Texas) Junior College, is reportedly headed to the University of Houston. Hayes was given his release from USF last week after failing to qualify academically for the fall semester … USF is holding its first two-a-day of fall camp today, practicing 8:45 to 10:45 in the morning, and then 7:10 to 9:30 tonight … Former Houston Astros general manager Tim Purpuro, who now works for Minor League Baseball, attended part of Monday’s practice and spoke with Holtz. Minor League Baseball owns the Vero Beach Sports Village.

Scott Carter

http://sports.tboblogs.com/index.php/sports/related/C127/

Scott mentioned in another note that about 50 USF fans showed up to watch practice.

http://www.tboblogs.com/index.php/sports/comments/a-quick-hit-practice-report-from-vero-beach/

Rivals USF writer is also at Vero and tweeting away.

Hornes may have picked up an injury towards the end of practice.

about 3 hours ago via Twitter for Android .

A bunch of reps with full squads, 11-on-11.

Mo Plancher with a nice run up the gut.

Isaac Virgin could create some serious mismatches with his size.

about 4 hours ago via Twitter for Android .

Jerrell Young picks off Gunsby.

Daniels connects with Bogan on a square in.

Jacquain Williams and Quentin Washington with interceptions.

B.J. signing autographs for a fan.

Strange watching a practice from the infield of a baseball field. Decent amount of people here.

about 5 hours ago via Twitter for Android

http://twitter.com/cdowlar

Free Rivals photo galleries of day one practice at Vero Beach:

F708879.jpg

http://usf.rivals.com/photofeature.asp?SID=1074&fid=33807

F708981.jpg

http://usf.rivals.com/photofeature.asp?SID=1074&fid=33812

The USF video was put on You Tube.

USF coach Skip Holtz addresses the media in Vero Beach.

• Content Count:  10,367
  • Days Won:  40

I spent a lot of years beginning my spring baseball season with seats right next to the field at Dodgertown. This facility holds a magical place in my heart and I believe it carries a lot of the same weight with legions of Major League Baseball players who began storied careers here. I wasn't a Dodger Fan though i always came to watch my beloved Braves open the season here.. But one thing i can tell you is that each opening day was like the Hall of Fame had opened up on to the field. The likes of Bobby Cox and Tommy Lasorda. Maury Wills, Steve Garvey, Mike Piazza and Don Sutton. Braves greats like Hank Aaron, Dale Murphy, Rico Carty, John Smoltz and Tom Glavine.

<pg>Because I love the Bulls as much as I do those Braves, my world has come full circle. Tomorrow night, I will travel to Vero to watch the Bulls take the field on that magic ground. I know that that ground will impart something special to this team as it did to those great teams that came before them. I really feel like something magic is afoot here. Something that only happens in sports and something that transcends the parts, but rather becomes the whole, the team.

I was born in Brooklyn. When the Dodger's left town it was like a death in the family.  >:(

Dear Lord T.J. Knowles is huge!!!

USF official pics

ULHDEEEZJUHVVRU.20100810001851.jpg

http://www.gousfbulls.com/PhotoAlbum.dbml?&DB_OEM_ID=7700&PALBID=379206

• Content Count:  10,367
  • Days Won:  40

I was born in Brooklyn. When the Dodger's left town it was like a death in the family.  >:(

I grew up in Dc, they sold the Senators twice in 2 years, that's when I became a Braves fan. I couldn't cry enough tears, but Atlanta became my new home physically and my baseball allegiance switched to the Hammer, Eddie Matthews, Rico Carty and Joe Torre. Those guys made it a lot easier to move on. But I have met a lot of displaced Brooklyn Dodger fans near here and I share their misery at having their team taken from them. Maybe now is a new Era for a few of them, GO BULLS!!!!

I'm sure trhe people in Vero Beach must also feel like the Dodger's abandoned them.

I think most of the Dodger fans switched over to root for the Mets after they arrived, rather than continue to stick with them. I assume that was also true for a majority of the NY Giant fans. I don't think many true Dodger or Giant fans really ever rooted for the Yankees. LOL 

Archived