• USF Bulls fans join us at The Bulls Pen

It's simple, free and connects you to other South Florida Bulls fans!

• Members do not see this ad, Register

Tampa Trib- Top 20 Most Entertaining Athletes in Tampa Bay history

• Group:  Admin
  • Topic Count:  0
  • Content Count:  97,090
  • Days Won:  469

Really, an elaborate puff piece for a guy that is leaving? 

I guess they make him look like a giant leaving out true giants like Lee Roy Selmon, HOFer and great guy.

• Replies 27
  • Created
  • Last Reply

• Group:  Member
  • Content Count:  12,293
  • Days Won:  0

I guess they make him look like a giant leaving out true giants like Lee Roy Selmon, HOFer and great guy.

I don't know.  Maybe Lee Roy Selmon was just a go about your business, nothing flashy type of player.  He was before my time so I don't really know.  But no one can argue that Carl Crawford isn't one of the most entertaining athletes out there.  Watching him play LF and watching him score from 1st base on a routine double or steal bases with ease.

I just think its funny that no matter what you will find something to complain about when it comes to the media.

You don't like the list.  Not even the Bulls who are on the list and you so quickly pointed out.  If someone called you to get your opinion on a top 20 list and published it you would probably complain about the font type or something.

::)

• Content Count:  791
  • Days Won:  3

A list for "entertaining" Tampa Bay athletes could be debated forever...there are hundreds.  If including fringe sports, how about Seffner dragracer "Big Daddy" Don Garlitts who jumped started the popularity of auto racing on TV and helped make auto sports like Nascar what it is today.

I don't know.  Maybe Lee Roy Selmon was just a go about your business, nothing flashy type of player.  He was before my time so I don't really know.  But no one can argue that Carl Crawford isn't one of the most entertaining athletes out there.  Watching him play LF and watching him score from 1st base on a routine double or steal bases with ease.

I just think its funny that no matter what you will find something to complain about when it comes to the media.

You don't like the list.  Not even the Bulls who are on the list and you so quickly pointed out.  If someone called you to get your opinion on a top 20 list and published it you would probably complain about the font type or something.

I don't work for or in the media.  I think the spacetaker was weak.  Sorry.

I think an ideal piece would be to suggest candidates and to poll the people, they truly know better what they find entertaining.  Complaining about the list is not a knock on "the media".  Its just a goofy list to have to begin with, and many people think they missed the boat with who the Trib finds most entertaining.

That makes people like me bad I suppose. 

They are only offering their OPINION.  If they (you) can't handle the fact that others will differ with it, they are in the wrong business.  That's my opinion.

• Content Count:  19,525
  • Days Won:  24

It isn't a lock that Crawford is leaving.  There has been some noise lately that an increase in attendance could convince ownership that CC should stay.

That racket huh?  Why not just print that?

I haven't been in several years, but stirring up interest to go to the Trop is much more complex than seeding Crawford number one on the pop charts.

Secondly, since when did the Trib care about boosting attendance at the Trop (or anywhere)?

• Content Count:  19,525
  • Days Won:  24

That racket huh?  Why not just print that?

I haven't been in several years, but stirring up interest to go to the Trop is much more complex than seeding Crawford number one on the pop charts.

Secondly, since when did the Trib care about boosting attendance at the Trop (or anywhere)?

I was merely responding to your assertion that Crawford is definitely leaving.  I could care less why the Trib created the puff piece.  Newspapers need filler. 

I find it amazing that we are arguing over whether this filler piece that is merely designed to generate interest and conversation is now considered a conspiracy theory.

Really, there are far fewer conspiracies in the world than people on thebullspen believe.

I don't think anyone said there was a conspiracy, DB.

I think the whole thing derailed when I was called out on my purported disagreement with the media.  sort of off topic, I should have ignored it.  And it wasn't my assertion he was leaving.

Let's get back to Hulk Hogan vs. Lee Roy Selmon vs. Carl Crawford

And as for my most entertaining USF players to watch.  Of those I saw, no one - no one - was more fun to watch than Hakim Shahid.  That's my opinion.  Gary Alexander, Vince Reynolds and Radenko Dobras were close in hoops.  Marquel Blackwell, Andre Hall and J.R. Reed in football.

Guest Sunburned

That's exactly what he and Dewey (his brother) were.

• Content Count:  4,879
  • Days Won:  0

JJ is not a puff piece writer; he is probably the very best choice to make a selection like this as he has been around TB sports for the entire 'big time sports teams' era.  I think the list actually demonstrates how short our 'history' is and how shallow the pool of truly electrifying performers is.  Our best is yet to come.

Archived