• USF Bulls fans join us at The Bulls Pen

It's simple, free and connects you to other South Florida Bulls fans!

• Members do not see this ad, Register

Marinatto - Big East Dismisses UCF, Memphis Expansion Report

• Group:  Member
  • Topic Count:  0
  • Content Count:  132
  • Days Won:  0

Big East commissioner John Marinatto on UCF and Memphis Big East expansion.

"Those reports are not true," Marinatto (right) told FanHouse Thursday.

http://ncaafootball.fanhouse.com/2010/06/17/big-east-dismisses-ucf-memphis-expansion-report/

Glad we are not adding two programs that do not bring extra revenue to the table.

• Content Count:  3,307
  • Days Won:  1

The Terry Holland essay is still operative. The basketball schools would block a move like this every time. The league is stuck with its current setup until football teams are lured away, whenever that is.

• Content Count:  771

http://www.orlandosentinel.com/sports/college/knights/

most of these reports were coming out of orlando.  They are just trying to stir things up over in UCiF land. 

• Content Count:  10,565
  • Days Won:  7

The basketball schools would block a move like this every time. The league is stuck with its current setup until football teams are lured away, whenever that is.

I mentioned that in one of the other threads and that's why I didn't put much stock into that rumor.

• Content Count:  3,307

I don't really put any stock into any Big East expansion rumors. With the way the league is set up, it's almost impossible to expand, only to react.

I still think Marinatto needs to come to grips with the fact that eventually Big East football is going to disband, instead of trying to make contingency plans like this one.

• Content Count:  1,570

I thought they were trying to destroy the BE(football). I hope that they can work on a tv deal pending teamS from the ACC.

• Content Count:  19,525
  • Days Won:  24

I don't really put any stock into any Big East expansion rumors. With the way the league is set up, it's almost impossible to expand, only to react.

I'm not sure that's the case.  I think 20 teams is doable in the non-football sports.  And I'm beginning to believe in kicking out some of the non-football schools.  It appears some of them may leave willingly.

I still think Marinatto needs to come to grips with the fact that eventually Big East football is going to disband, instead of trying to make contingency plans like this one.

You would think that's what eventually would happen.  Again, the unique Notre Dame situation is the only thing that has kept the league together so far.  At some point, the football Big East schools may just decide they need to stop waiting on ND, and either sink or swim on their own.  Forcing ND into a decision may backfire, but it may be better than waiting in a holding pattern while the world continues to change around the BE.

• Content Count:  808

;D I'm so tempted to post this on their fan board right now

haha.jpg

• Content Count:  100

I'm not sure that's the case.  I think 20 teams is doable in the non-football sports.  And I'm beginning to believe in kicking out some of the non-football schools.  It appears some of them may leave willingly.

You would think that's what eventually would happen.  Again, the unique Notre Dame situation is the only thing that has kept the league together so far.  At some point, the football Big East schools may just decide they need to stop waiting on ND, and either sink or swim on their own.  Forcing ND into a decision may backfire, but it may be better than waiting in a holding pattern while the world continues to change around the BE.

Nobody in any position of importance is "waiting on" Notre Dame. There is no chance whatsoever of Notre Dame joining the Big East for football. None at all. Zero. It will never, ever happen.

There is no practical difference between Notre Dame's presence in the Big East and that of any other non-football school in the conference, and while a deal with Notre Dame may have helped acquire slightly more lucrative bowls, I don't know what you're basing your "Notre DAme's presence has kept the league together" argument on. I don't think two Gator Bowl appearances by West Virginia really made that huge of a difference.

• Group:  TBP Subscriber III
  • Content Count:  17,499
  • Days Won:  13

;D I'm so tempted to post this on their fan board right now

haha.jpg

LOL LOL LOL LOL LOL LOL

Archived