• USF Bulls fans join us at The Bulls Pen

It's simple, free and connects you to other South Florida Bulls fans!

• Members do not see this ad, Register

Nature Coast ATH Ja'Juan Story down to 14 schools

• Group:  Member
  • Topic Count:  132
  • Content Count:  10,380
  • Days Won:  18

Should've come to USF directly from high school. The grass is not always greener in Gator, Hurricane, and Seminole Land.

Not exactly sure how that follows.... he passed up OSU's offer to go to UF under intense family pressure. If anything he'd be in Columbus right now.

Ok, add Buckeye Land to my list of "grass is greener" locales. A lot of local kids (and I'm loosely thinking Hernando County is local) think that the spot light will shine brighter for them at some of the more traditional programs. They need to realize, while in high school, that the light will shine brighter yet putting USF on the map. Talk about an amazing story, if USF were to make some serious news and win that elusive Big East conference a few times all with the help of Florida kids. Hang on, Howard Schnellenberger just called and said, "If I did it in Miami, why can't it be done in Tampa?" :D

• Topic Count:  4
  • Content Count:  423
  • Days Won:  1

Should've come to USF directly from high school. The grass is not always greener in Gator, Hurricane, and Seminole Land.

Not exactly sure how that follows.... he passed up OSU's offer to go to UF under intense family pressure. If anything he'd be in Columbus right now.

Ok, add Buckeye Land to my list of "grass is greener" locales. A lot of local kids (and I'm loosely thinking Hernando County is local) think that the spot light will shine brighter for them at some of the more traditional programs. They need to realize, while in high school, that the light will shine brighter yet putting USF on the map. Talk about an amazing story, if USF were to make some serious news and win that elusive Big East conference a few times all with the help of Florida kids. Hang on, Howard Schnellenberger just called and said, "If I did it in Miami, why can't it be done in Tampa?" :D

You think the talent pool is equal he had a certain type of athlete...

• Topic Count:  1,207
  • Content Count:  18,470
  • Days Won:  44

Miami isn't getting as many top kids from their area as they once did.

More and more of the top 100 Florida HS players are opting to go out of state.

And among the very best Florida HS players, the Florida schools are getting less of them.

AUGUST 14, 2012

Why are Florida's five-star players leaving the state?

Rivals has an interesting story here on the exodus of elite prospects from Florida. Only five of the 13 players with five-star status from 2011 or 2012 stayed in the state to play college football. That includes Lakewood DE Dante Fowler (UF) and Plant RB James Wilder Jr. (FSU).

Compare those numbers to 2002 and 2003. Rivals writes that the state produced 11 five-star players in those years – and they all signed with Florida programs. Why the change?

I agree with Rivals’ premise that top players are leaving because the Gators, Seminoles and Hurricanes have struggled recently. Why play for a so-so UF team when you can play for a national title at Alabama?

I’ll add two other theories. All three schools have had coaching changes since 2010. That instability means coaches haven’t had as much time to build relationships with the elite prospects, who are identified and recruited earlier in their high school careers than, say, a two-star offensive guard.

Second, the SEC’s profile has continued to rise the last few years. One of the biggest factors in a recruit’s decision is proximity to home. How often can my friends and family come see me play? If a player goes to the SEC, his parents can see him play often – and he’ll play for a high-profile program with a shot at a national title. That sounds like a good option to some top players.

What do you think? Why have top talents left Florida over the last few years? Do you think the trend will reverse itself soon?

Posted by matt_baker at 10:33:11 am on August 14, 2012

http://www.tampabay.com/blogs/hometeam/content/why-are-floridas-five-star-players-leaving-state

• Topic Count:  2,338
  • Content Count:  21,346
  • Days Won:  10

This guy is guessing, why does not do a survey and call the Florida 5 star players and ask them. It is called qualitative research. No, why not guess it is easier.

• Topic Count:  731
  • Content Count:  10,367
  • Days Won:  40

Miami isn't getting as many top kids from their area as they once did.

More and more of the top 100 Florida HS players are opting to go out of state.

And among the very best Florida HS players, the Florida schools are getting less of them.

AUGUST 14, 2012

Why are Florida's five-star players leaving the state?

Rivals has an interesting story here on the exodus of elite prospects from Florida. Only five of the 13 players with five-star status from 2011 or 2012 stayed in the state to play college football. That includes Lakewood DE Dante Fowler (UF) and Plant RB James Wilder Jr. (FSU).

Compare those numbers to 2002 and 2003. Rivals writes that the state produced 11 five-star players in those years – and they all signed with Florida programs. Why the change?

I agree with Rivals’ premise that top players are leaving because the Gators, Seminoles and Hurricanes have struggled recently. Why play for a so-so UF team when you can play for a national title at Alabama?

I’ll add two other theories. All three schools have had coaching changes since 2010. That instability means coaches haven’t had as much time to build relationships with the elite prospects, who are identified and recruited earlier in their high school careers than, say, a two-star offensive guard.

Second, the SEC’s profile has continued to rise the last few years. One of the biggest factors in a recruit’s decision is proximity to home.How often can my friends and family come see me play? If a player goes to the SEC, his parents can see him play often – and he’ll play for a high-profile program with a shot at a national title. That sounds like a good option to some top players.

What do you think? Why have top talents left Florida over the last few years? Do you think the trend will reverse itself soon?

Posted by matt_baker at 10:33:11 am on August 14, 2012

http://www.tampabay....s-leaving-state

If you look at the stats, you'll see why the story is crap sensationalism. FL KEPT 111- 5 stars during the 2002-2012 time frame. 20% more than any state in the country(incl vastly overrated CA). Nebraska kept 4. Nowhere is the talent pool more heavily recruited. We suffer from an embarrassment of riches. And beside that, star ratings are rat pellets anyway. None of that translates into success.

Oh and maybe he should survey and see how many of those 5 Stars come back to FL after they find that there is no pot of gold at the end of the Leprechaun's Rainbow.

Edited by Bullwinkle

Scout says. Looks like he is taking whirlwind tours to try to get settled. Heat index in Dallas today, 102 degrees. Sucks to be in TX during training camp.

Who was the big time visitor on #TCU's campus today? Former Florida Gators WR Ja'Juan

Wow. Went to TX and realized he wanted to stay home or went to the inferno and decided that was where he wanted to land. Hmm. the timing is crazy.

Woody Wommack â€@RivalsWoody

Working on some very late-breaking news on Florida #Gators transfer Ja'Juan Story. Gonna shock people where he ends up.

randy Shannon is recruiting him at TCU. Read into that what you will.

Edited by Bullwinkle

Sounds like TCU thinks they have him but won't confirm until morning

Travis L. Brown â€@TLBrown_Rivals

Big news BREAKING on http://PurpleMenace.com right now. Stay tuned to our board as this story develops. Join for 30-days free w/ code: BIG12

Retweeted by Woody Wommack

@BILLREEF talk to me in the morning

Maybe Randy has some of his old contacts working. Wonder where you would park a stripper boat in Dallas?

Edited by Bullwinkle

• Topic Count:  1,207
  • Content Count:  18,470
  • Days Won:  44

Sounds like TCU thinks they have him but won't confirm until morning

Travis L. Brown â€@TLBrown_Rivals

Big news BREAKING on http://PurpleMenace.com right now. Stay tuned to our board as this story develops. Join for 30-days free w/ code: BIG12

Retweeted by Woody Wommack

@BILLREEF talk to me in the morning

Maybe Randy has some of his old contacts working. Wonder where you would park a stripper boat in Dallas?

He should take his time to make sure, after his experience at UF.