• USF Bulls fans join us at The Bulls Pen

It's simple, free and connects you to other South Florida Bulls fans!

• Members do not see this ad, Register

How are we so optimistic ?

First, the Big Ten will not make another move without a formal decision from Notre Dame.  The only reason they acted now was the Big 12 "ultimatum" spurred on by the Pac 10 move.

Second, the SEC won't be the first to officially jump to 16 - which is what you're actually proposing.  The Pac 10 invites are forthcoming to the five Big 12 schools.  But the SEC will be waiting... will the Big 12 schools turn down the Pac 10 while waiting on the SEC?  I doubt it.

Moreover, Texas really REALLY is not interested in the SEC.  The only good thing about the SEC is the SEC's contracts allow schools to set up their own local contracts.  The "Pac 16" will want a Pac 16 Network, preventing the ability to form a Longhorn network (even syndicated). 

But the Pac 16 would be a lot like the Big 12 - with Texas and Oklahoma playing every year for a spot in the conference championship.  The conference revenue would be about the same.  The academics are better for Texas.

I still say the Big 12 teams end up out west.  So if the Big Ten does raid the Big East and take three teams, the SEC will have to look at the ACC.

It's logical.

And until we see another bolt out of the blue like the Pac 16, it's what I think will happen.

If it is profitable for the SEC to expand, isn't it profitable regardless of what the Big Ten does?  What is the dependency there?

First, money is not the only driving factor.  The SEC does not want to be known as the third best conference.  Right now it's the best.  The Pac 16 would likely claim that spot as soon as it's formed, but the SEC will take a wait and see approach.

So the SEC could tolerate being the best conference in the eastern half of the country - the part with more TVs and viewers.  They wouldn't have to expand just because they could get more money.

Thus, until the Big Ten actually threatens the SEC, there is no need to the SEC to expand.

Of course, there is one other factor: teams may not be available for long.  Texas A&M and Oklahoma have their invitations to the Pac 10 in hand. If the SEC really wants them, it's almost to the point of act now or forever hold your peace.  That could spur actions we cannot expect.

• Replies 24
  • Created
  • Last Reply

• Group:  Member
  • Topic Count:  0
  • Content Count:  13,697
  • Days Won:  45

The SEC will not be caught flat footed in all of this. 

Especially since the Pac 16 will push for two auto bids once they become official

• Group:  TBP Subscriber III
  • Content Count:  22,705
  • Days Won:  108

Woodford%20Reserve.jpg

The only cure for BCS musical chairs uneasiness. 

You my friend have good taste.  The only problem I see is that the bottle is still full.  >:D

• Group:  Member
  • Content Count:  13,697
  • Days Won:  45

hahaha well its not my bottle just one from a quick google search. 

• Group:  Bull Backers
  • Content Count:  3,034
  • Days Won:  5

I truly do not care where they end up. I'm an alum and fan of USF. I will still be there 4 hours before kickoff on game day, slinging burgers, drinking beer, and raising hell at the games. I'll still go to as many away games as I can and support the program as I always have whether they are in the Big East, SEC, C-USA, some mythical new conference, or the Sun Belt.

Besides with the way this economy is going, we won't be able to afford to go to the games, regardless of conference affiliation. Now that's a reason to be pessimistic.

Archived