• USF Bulls fans join us at The Bulls Pen

It's simple, free and connects you to other South Florida Bulls fans!

• Members do not see this ad, Register

big east football members are better off staying put

• Group:  Member
  • Topic Count:  0
  • Content Count:  66,091
  • Days Won:  172

have nots will make more money but will never win in super conferences

• Content Count:  24
  • Days Won:  0

have nots will make more money but will never win in super conferences

football wise you are correct but unfortunately Mr. Benjamin Franklin will be making the decisions.  20 million vs 10 million (guess who wins out)

• Content Count:  23,185
  • Days Won:  65

If the Big East had been proactive before the ACC raid, they wouldn't be in this mess.  It might have looked something like this:

Big East North:

Boston College

Connecticut

Pitt

Syracuse

Rutgers

Cincinnati

Big East South:

Miami

USF

VaTech

West Virginia

Louisville

TBD

• Content Count:  276

If the Big East had been proactive before the ACC raid, they wouldn't be in this mess.  It might have looked something like this:

Big East North:

Boston College

Connecticut

Pitt

Syracuse

Rutgers

Cincinnati

Big East South:

Miami

USF

VaTech

West Virginia

Louisville

TBD

Completely correct, except that UCF would have been the TBD, regardless of whether you like it.

Tranghese was a MORON.

• Content Count:  23,185
  • Days Won:  65

I wouldn't have minded UCF in that scenario above.

• Content Count:  151

I have to agree with Smazza.  If one or two of the top teams in the BE bails and we stay put we'll be in a very good spot to become the dominant football team in our conference.  In this scenario we'll have lots of national exposure and play in big name bowl games every year.  I'd be worried that if we ended up in a conference like the SEC or ACC we might end up near the bottom of the pack and miss out on bowl games and exposure.

It's all about money though I guess, so if the SEC or ACC came knocking it would be foolish of us to turn it down.  Who knows, we could move to another conference and surprise everyone again.

• Content Count:  711

I have to agree with Smazza.  If one or two of the top teams in the BE bails and we stay put we'll be in a very good spot to become the dominant football team in our conference.  In this scenario we'll have lots of national exposure and play in big name bowl games every year.  I'd be worried that if we ended up in a conference like the SEC or ACC we might end up near the bottom of the pack and miss out on bowl games and exposure.

It's all about money though I guess, so if the SEC or ACC came knocking it would be foolish of us to turn it down.  Who knows, we could move to another conference and surprise everyone again.

Foolish?  There would be riots!!  Trust me.  USF would never turn down either the ACC or SEC.  If the BCS conferences form five 16 team conferences...it is good for USF and UCF!!  That would create 80 BCS spots.  Four 16 teamers...could mean doom.

• Content Count:  17,061
  • Days Won:  19

The money ACC teams make per year is about $300,000 more per year than Big East football team members.

• Content Count:  771

The money ACC teams make per year is about $300,000 more per year than Big East football team members.

This is why I can't understand why the big east wouldn't be proactive and try to get a couple acc teams.  If they made the conference even more attractive they could start there own network and bundle basketball and football together.  I'm sure with that in a couple years the big east could be  competitive with the big conferences.

• Content Count:  24

This is why I can't understand why the big east wouldn't be proactive and try to get a couple acc teams.  If they made the conference even more attractive they could start there own network and bundle basketball and football together.  I'm sure with that in a couple years the big east could be  competitive with the big conferences.

regardless of what you think school presidents really dont care about sports, other than how much money they bring in.  So the only way to make the Big East more attractive to other presidents is to offer them more money.  The big 11 can offer insane amounts of money because of their tv station. 

The big east is dependent on the money the tv channels that air their games will give them.  you have to remember that only SU, Rutgers (it is debatable), Pitt, and West Virginia were BCS prior to the last expansion.  you are currently dealing with UCONN, Cincy, UL, and USF as relative new comers to the big games.  on top of that look at what happened when the big easts best team this year took on the SEC's second best team.  The BCS tag has helped the 4 new schools greatly but they arent at the level where TV execs are beating down your doors to give the big east a huge deal.  despite being in some big markets (i say this alot but many UCF fans dont seem to get it) you need to win big games to get people (tv execs included) to care and want to watch you and that is where the money comes from.  Winning fixes everything but in this case it may be too late to keep a team or two from jumping ship.

Archived