• USF Bulls fans join us at The Bulls Pen

It's simple, free and connects you to other South Florida Bulls fans!

• Members do not see this ad, Register

big east football members are better off staying put

• Group:  Member
  • Topic Count:  0
  • Content Count:  151
  • Days Won:  0

despite being in some big markets (i say this alot but many UCF fans dont seem to get it) you need to win big games to get people (tv execs included) to care and want to watch you and that is where the money comes from. 

This is exactly what I'm saying.  We need to be winning big games.  We need to be competing regularly in top tier bowls.  The best way to do this is to be dominant in the Big East.  If only one or two of the top football teams leaves the conference we might be better off in the long run than if the Big East disbanded and we ended up at the bottom of the totem pole in the SEC or ACC where we would have to overthrow the powerhouse teams at the top just to get into a bowl game.

If we go to the SEC or ACC it will be a very long time before we ever have shot at getting to a championship game.  I think that if we stay in a slightly weakened Big East we could get there a lot sooner.

• Content Count:  151

And yes, I know the idea of us playing for a national championship is absurd right now.  But it would be nice to have a shot at getting there someday.

• Content Count:  276

The money ACC teams make per year is about $300,000 more per year than Big East football team members.

That's just a lie, right there.

Here is a quote from a West Virginia newspaper article from a few days ago:

West Virginia, once it reached full revenue-sharing status in the ACC, would make about $4 million more than it will receive in Big East money this year.

Thanks to men's and women's basketball success, including $1 million for Huggins' Final Four run, WVU hiked its Big East money from the $7 million-plus range to a record $9.4 million in 2009-10.

Here's the link:

http://www.dailymail.com/Sports/JackBogaczyk/201004270033?page=2&build=cache

Now, that was a RECORD payout for one of the most successful teams in the Big East (WVU), and it was $9.4 million.  Since the BE formula rewards succesful teams more than less succesful teams, I'm going to assume that USF did not make as much as WVU.

On the other hand, the ACC payout in the 2006-2007 year (when BC wasn't even a full member yet) was between $11 and $12 million (the ACC payout happened to exceed the SEC payout that year, though I'm sure that is no longer the case).  And the ACC payout has only gone up since then, and the ACC is just about to head into a new TV contract.

So, please tell me how this is only a $300K difference.

Finally, that does not even take into account what the differential would be if, say, the ACC added 4 BE teams and the BE had to find 4 C-USA replacement teams.  In that case, I'm sure the conference payout differential would balloon even higher.

• Content Count:  276

The money ACC teams make per year is about $300,000 more per year than Big East football team members.

This is why I can't understand why the big east wouldn't be proactive and try to get a couple acc teams.  If they made the conference even more attractive they could start there own network and bundle basketball and football together.  I'm sure with that in a couple years the big east could be  competitive with the big conferences.

Why?  Because DEL's $300K number is a lie.

• Content Count:  17,061
  • Days Won:  19

My bad. Add a 0. Did some research. In 2007 to 2008 ACC teams averaged 11.47 million. BE teams averaged 7.84. Couldn't  find info for 2008 2009.

Archived