• USF Bulls fans join us at The Bulls Pen

It's simple, free and connects you to other South Florida Bulls fans!

• Members do not see this ad, Register

Does anyone know how our # of on campus students compare to other schools?

• Group:  Member
  • Topic Count:  0
  • Content Count:  329
  • Days Won:  0

Most of the FSU non-campus students live well within 5miles to the campus.

• Replies 31
  • Created
  • Last Reply

• Content Count:  1,829
  • Days Won:  1

When I went to USF way back in 1999 the Bullrunner came right up to Oak Ramble Apartments, I considered myself on campus.

• Content Count:  1,829

Oh by the way how many people remember UTA parties after the games or just any Friday or Saturday? I considered that complex on campus as well.

• Content Count:  560

The figure is 95% live within FIVE miles of one of USF's campuses... which was true as recent as earlier this decade.

Sorry, yes I did get my figures messed up, you are correct on that. That figure still remains true as well. If you go around a 2-3 mile radius of Tampa campus, those are all students of USF living in those complexes. Making our commuter number very very high, yet they are all in reality on campus, especially when the Bull Runner has stops along these complexes as well.

• Content Count:  3,802
  • Days Won:  3

I lived on 42nd when i was a student and like others mentioned, walked or rode my bike to class and participated in events. I just couldn't get a dorm room immediately as a freshman and after i lived where I did I didn't feel like moving.

• Content Count:  7,201

I do not know about the other Universities, but I do know that at ours we have 5,500 beds on campus. Yet if you would count our "Commuter Students" 95% of them live within a 1.5 mile radius of the campus. So alot of the students live right on by USF

No way, sorry, but we are the 9th largest university in the country.  There is no way 95% live within 1.5 miles.  I would say you have maybe 50% in that range of the Tampa campus at best. 

We also do not have students who stay on campus, they take class and leave.

The figure is 95% live within FIVE miles of one of USF's campuses... which was true as recent as earlier this decade.

A few years ago, I had heard that the number was 17,000 within 1 mile of campus, or on campus, and given only teh Tampa campus.  That was from a USF Admin at a USF event.  As you know, USF has Lakeland, St Pete, and Sarasota as well, though with less students at each.  There is approx 46,000 total FT equiv students.  I suspect the on/close to tampus is more like 22k or so now, but that would be a swag. 

• Content Count:  1,524

Everyone is right. We have a ton of students that live around the campus area but are considered "commuters." The difference between USF and say FSU or UF is that USF does not provide a good shuttle system to all the student apartment complexes around campus, forcing students to drive or "commute" to campus, even though they live one or two miles away from campus. I live in a brand new apartment complex that is right by campus and is affiliated with the university, yet there is no bull runner that comes by here. But the bull runner will go down 22nd where no students live? They need to fix the bull runner routes to pick up more students instead of going to the mall and down 22nd street and picking up people who bring guns on campus. There is a much larger number of student who drive to campus and park at USF then UF, and the difference being that UF has a better shuttle service that will pick students up from ALL student housing apartments.

Everyone is right. We have a ton of students that live around the campus area but are considered "commuters." The difference between USF and say FSU or UF is that USF does not provide a good shuttle system to all the student apartment complexes around campus, forcing students to drive or "commute" to campus, even though they live one or two miles away from campus. I live in a brand new apartment complex that is right by campus and is affiliated with the university, yet there is no bull runner that comes by here. But the bull runner will go down 22nd where no students live? They need to fix the bull runner routes to pick up more students instead of going to the mall and down 22nd street and picking up people who bring guns on campus. There is a much larger number of student who drive to campus and park at USF then UF, and the difference being that UF has a better shuttle service that will pick students up from ALL student housing apartments.

Really? In all my years off campus I hardly ever bothered to drive in and opted for the shuttle instead. It may require you to walk a bit but if you expect a stop in front of each apartment you're lazy.

• Content Count:  1,524

Really? In all my years off campus I hardly ever bothered to drive in and opted for the shuttle instead. It may require you to walk a bit but if you expect a stop in front of each apartment you're lazy.

That's not what I am talking about. There is no shuttle service ANYWHERE on my road. I also know of several other areas around campus that have ZERO stops around them. No one lives down 22nd and by the mall, but that is the only bull runner route off campus beside going down 42nd. So basically 42nd street loop is the only off campus useful route. That is not the only area around campus that students live.

That's not what I am talking about. There is no shuttle service ANYWHERE on my road. I also know of several other areas around campus that have ZERO stops around them. No one lives down 22nd and by the mall, but that is the only bull runner route off campus beside going down 42nd. So basically 42nd street loop is the only off campus useful route. That is not the only area around campus that students live.

Honestly, I'd consider those students "off campus" I'm not sure how wide you want the shuttles running bu the only reason it even goes to the mall is because there's classes there. Though, I'm not sure why there's the stop by the sweet bay-ish area.

The only other location that is adjacent to campus is what, 36th for whatever? I forget what street that is now...

Archived