• USF Bulls fans join us at The Bulls Pen

It's simple, free and connects you to other South Florida Bulls fans!

• Members do not see this ad, Register

2010 Our Shirt

• Group:  Member
  • Topic Count:  0
  • Content Count:  2,035
  • Days Won:  20

I've designed several shirts for athletics but basically had to quit trying because the designs were being perverted into something I couldn't even be proud of anymore. I've tried designing shirts that I felt were on par with other universities student organizations but to no avail. Their was too much concern over using a logo, image, or slogan wrong that everything basically became a rigid template leaving no room for creative expression.

Please post an example of your designs

Not sure why you'd want to see my designs. If you're looking for an Our Shirt idea from me, that's not my thing. I was an opponent of Our Shirt from year one because it referred to itself as the official athletics shirt of USF, essentially taking away from the Student Bulls Club membership and leaving us out to dry.

As far as my personal designs, I don't really have all of them anymore. I might have cared about them before I graduated but that was a lifetime ago. The link below has the only file i've kept that has any of my work. If anyone's going to henpeck it, no need to comment. You don't have to tell me they're not the greatest, I already know this, hence the rant in the first place. I was limited to single colors, no slogans, vanilla designs, and allowed to use only the back of the shirt. Would I have liked to do graphic tees with multiple colors and offset grunge effects? Sure. Did I get to? No.

sbcwork.png

Clockwise, from top:

-A mailer for the 2008 athletics auction

-Prototype design for the 2008 SBC shirt

-Design chosen for the 2008 SBC shirt

-Another prototype design for the shirt

-Yet another

-The 2007 SBC shirt

There were also several designs for SBC correspondence I don't have anymore: the 2006 membership handout/promo, the promo for the Auburn trip, etc. There's another shirt out there somewhere. I believe it was handed out by athletics to certain individuals at the Auburn game. It's a white shirt with a  Disney-esque looking bull that said "I bleed green and gold." It may have said something about a tailgate tour on it, too but not sure. It sickened me to look at. DixieBull or AndytheBull have seen it I'm pretty sure.

[Rant]

It was originally going to be a spirit shirt with a bull skull and the "Bleed Green and Gold" in more intense lettering. Athletics felt that it wasn't "vanilla" enough (exact wording used). Me and my friends still refer to the shirt as "Hello Bully" because it was too friendly and looked like it could have been a Hello Kitty character. The point of this all being that this is the stuff you're going to be seeing from athletics for the forseeable future. It was that way when I started in 2004 and it's the way things are going to be 2010 and on. I originally wanted to apply to the marketing department for graphic design but realized that I'd be doing this same kind of stuff.

That's the whole reason I stopped doing any USF design work: I got fed up with the red tape. The shirt that was eventually chosen for SBC 2008 (Go Green) was probably the last straw. It was originally designed with a hand giving the bull horns but I was told to put the iconic U instead since we were trying to move away from the hand sign (as it was a Texas trademark). Meanwhile, they're putting up billboards on Fowler with Leavitt, Grothe, and Selvie sticking it in our faces. Additionally, two weeks later a nearly identical 'Go Green' shirt came out from athletics for the Kansas game (and I still see it at Publix today), allowing them to essentially profit from the design of what was supposed to be an SBC only shirt. Is there a chance that they came up with it themselves? Sure, but two weeks after me with a nearly identical design. I didn't mind them selling it (money is ending up in the same place), but it should have been done through SBC as it would have allowed us to make the athletics contributions in our name. It would have been nice for some proceeds to go to SBC as well as we never had any dues and had a negligible budget.

[/Rant]

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply

• Content Count:  342
  • Days Won:  0

I've designed several shirts for athletics but basically had to quit trying because the designs were being perverted into something I couldn't even be proud of anymore. I've tried designing shirts that I felt were on par with other universities student organizations but to no avail. Their was too much concern over using a logo, image, or slogan wrong that everything basically became a rigid template leaving no room for creative expression.

Not sure why you'd want to see my designs. If you're looking for an Our Shirt idea from me, that's not my thing. I was an opponent of Our Shirt from year one because it referred to itself as the official athletics shirt of USF, essentially taking away from the Student Bulls Club membership and leaving us out to dry.

As far as my personal designs, I don't really have all of them anymore. I might have cared about them before I graduated but that was a lifetime ago. The link below has the only file i've kept that has any of my work. If anyone's going to henpeck it, no need to comment. You don't have to tell me they're not the greatest, I already know this, hence the rant in the first place. I was limited to single colors, no slogans, vanilla designs, and allowed to use only the back of the shirt. Would I have liked to do graphic tees with multiple colors and offset grunge effects? Sure. Did I get to? No.

sbcwork.png

Clockwise, from top:

-Yet another

-The 2007 SBC shirt

There were also several designs for SBC correspondence I don't have anymore: the 2006 membership handout/promo, the promo for the Auburn trip, etc. There's another shirt out there somewhere. I believe it was handed out by athletics to certain individuals at the Auburn game. It's a white shirt with a  Disney-esque looking bull that said "I bleed green and gold." It may have said something about a tailgate tour on it, too but not sure. It sickened me to look at. DixieBull or AndytheBull have seen it I'm pretty sure.

[Rant]

It was originally going to be a spirit shirt with a bull skull and the "Bleed Green and Gold" in more intense lettering. Athletics felt that it wasn't "vanilla" enough (exact wording used). Me and my friends still refer to the shirt as "Hello Bully" because it was too friendly and looked like it could have been a Hello Kitty character. The point of this all being that this is the stuff you're going to be seeing from athletics for the forseeable future. It was that way when I started in 2004 and it's the way things are going to be 2010 and on. I originally wanted to apply to the marketing department for graphic design but realized that I'd be doing this same kind of stuff.

That's the whole reason I stopped doing any USF design work: I got fed up with the red tape. The shirt that was eventually chosen for SBC 2008 (Go Green) was probably the last straw. It was originally designed with a hand giving the bull horns but I was told to put the iconic U instead since we were trying to move away from the hand sign (as it was a Texas trademark). Meanwhile, they're putting up billboards on Fowler with Leavitt, Grothe, and Selvie sticking it in our faces. Additionally, two weeks later a nearly identical 'Go Green' shirt came out from athletics for the Kansas game (and I still see it at Publix today), allowing them to essentially profit from the design of what was supposed to be an SBC only shirt. Is there a chance that they came up with it themselves? Sure, but two weeks after me with a nearly identical design. I didn't mind them selling it (money is ending up in the same place), but it should have been done through SBC as it would have allowed us to make the athletics contributions in our name. It would have been nice for some proceeds to go to SBC as well as we never had any dues and had a negligible budget.

[/Rant]

I love the GO GREEN design.  Wish I could get one of those.

• Content Count:  1,479

sbcwork.png

Clockwise, from top:

-Yet another

-The 2007 SBC shirt

[Rant]

[/Rant]

Yes, the "Hello Bully" shirt was the one given out at the official USF tailgate at Auburn. Says something like "USF Tailgate Tour 2007" on front with the "I Bleed Green and Gold" on the back before the Finish Strong road game shirts were adopted.

• Content Count:  743

the Beasts of the East shirts are pretty sweet.

• Content Count:  1,985

When are we going to get pocket t-shrits?  We live in a state where the vast majority of people own a Guy Harvey fish t-shirt. 

That hat is absolutely terrible. 

What the hell good is a pocket in a T shirt?

• Content Count:  3,827

Maybe the Class of '11 can spend more than 6 minutes on the design.

• Content Count:  508
  • Days Won:  1

When are we going to get pocket t-shrits?  We live in a state where the vast majority of people own a Guy Harvey fish t-shirt. 

That hat is absolutely terrible. 

What the hell good is a pocket in a T shirt?

You mean "on" a t-shirt?  Brother, it is simple yet elegant.

A lot of people prefer the pockets, look at how many people wear Guy Harvey shirts.

• Content Count:  140

Ohh **** we forgot to design "Our Shirt" for next year....its ok i make something up real quick

I think this is about how it went down this year for designing the shirt

• Content Count:  508
  • Days Won:  1

FF_345754ALT1_xl.jpg

FF_345754ALT2_xl.jpg

FF_345754ALT3_xl.jpg

Terrible shirt

• Content Count:  743

we're not snobs shirt > this years our shirt hands down.

Archived