• USF Bulls fans join us at The Bulls Pen

It's simple, free and connects you to other South Florida Bulls fans!

• Members do not see this ad, Register

Rumors Flew at Final Four: Interesting................

• Group:  Member
  • Topic Count:  0
  • Content Count:  3,307
  • Days Won:  1

At this point, with all these crazy scenarios being thrown out there, I just want it to be done so we can stop talking about it. The only thing I really care about is that USF remains in a conference with an automatic BCS berth.

That's almost assured. There would be lawsuits out the wazoo if anyone currently in a BCS league was tossed out, unless it was a Temple situation.

• Replies 23
  • Created
  • Last Reply

• Content Count:  809

At this point, with all these crazy scenarios being thrown out there, I just want it to be done so we can stop talking about it. The only thing I really care about is that USF remains in a conference with an automatic BCS berth.

I'm with you on that one!

Honestly, I really like our situation here in the Big East.  In a smaller, but admitfully weaker, conference we have a better shot at landing in a BCS bowl game.  In a 14-team ACC megaconference complete with a championship game, it would be much harder for us to get into a BCS game. 

That being said, if the Big East implodes like all signs seem to indicate, we're much better off in the ACC. 

• Content Count:  2,923

Makes for interesting reading, although having the Bulls in the ACC would be great.

• Content Count:  2,994
  • Days Won:  4

The ACC COULD afford to have 4 teams in FL, just like Texas and California because the state produces enough talent, so much that most of it leaves the state for big programs. Having 4 pretty big TV markets would also help.

North Carolina doesn't necessarily produce the same quantity of players that FL does, but somehow it works.

• Content Count:  1,235

I would rather be in the SEC than the ACC

and two Florida teams there would be a good

fit.  UF would probably rather have us there

than Texas, because they would assume USF

to be less of a threat.

• Content Count:  276
  • Days Won:  0

I'd like that new ACC.   That would suit me just fine.  I hate playing all of these up north teams.

But wouldn't the ACC take UCF before they would take Cinci?

Why would they want four teams in Florida (FSU, UM, USF & UCiF)? That would be almost as dumb as four teams in North Carolina.......

Not a very well-informed comment.

First, 4 Florida teams would be a GREAT counter-balance to 4 North Carolina teams.

Second, the Pac 10 has 4 California teams (40% of the vote) and the Big 12 has 4 Texas teams (33% of the vote).  If the ACC had 4 Florida teams (25% of the vote), it would simply reflect that FL, TX, and CA are the most dominant high school/college football states in the country.

I'm happy with the ACC as-is, but if we are forced to expand to match the Big 11 and any other 16-team conferences, then we need to have a compact footprint.  USF and UCF make sense and would represent a serious threat to the SEC domination in the state of Florida, as all of the major metropolitan areas would have an ACC team, or a nearby ACC team.

I've said this on other threads, but I would hope that USF fans would move past their issues with UCF and learn how to analyze these issues in light of the new economic issues.  We can all sit around and say that some other BE schools are better in football and/or basketball than UCF, but the HUGE dollars that are driving this right now involve TV, and more specifically, the cable channels.  The Big 10 Network represents the lion's share of the "new" revenue that is available to entice as many as 5 new teams.  You have to be honest:  the broadcast network contract only allows so many timeslots.  To add 5 teams if you are only on NBC or CBS is dilutive.  In reality, the 5 extra teams are needed if you hook into cable outlets, either through ESPN or your own network.  Then, you become desperate for content, which is the same reason why the NCAA tourney may move to 96 teams.

So regardless of whether Cincy had a great year, it is very possible that the ACC could choose to invite UCF instead.  UCF is one of the ten largest universities in the country, it's in a top 30 TV market, and it could help to create more in-state demand in the 4th largest state in the country.  Again, all of this assumes that the Big 11 would target northeastern markets, which would also be the ACC's first choice (we initially wanted Syracuse rather than VaTech).  But if the ACC gets aced out of the northeast, the most logical move is to add strength in the southeast, because that is also an overlap area with the SEC.

• Group:  Bull Backers
  • Content Count:  4,741
  • Days Won:  3

Why is UL a "lock" while the "choice" seems to be between UCF and UC. Why wouldn't UL be the odd man out, they are further West than Cincy. Cincinnati 33 market, Louiseville 49. FYI Tampa 14, Miami 17, Orlando 19, Tally 106, Gainesville 160 (But to be far all points North of Tampa and South of Lake City should be counted).

• Content Count:  4,501

Well Hurrican you have some good points. 

You put say Miami & USF in one conference and FSU & UCF in another -makes for good TV.  I don't like not including Cinci in part it take away from UL & WV.  They are all located near each other. 

As far as TV markets- you are right UCF is like 19th (about 2mil) but that includes Daytona Beach which seems a little strange to me and Cinci is about 33(1Mil) so if all things are equal and TV market decides it then it goes to UCF.  Since Cinci is in the BE I think that might give them a leg up.

• Content Count:  4,501

Why is UL a "lock" while the "choice" seems to be between UCF and UC. Why wouldn't UL be the odd man out, they are further West than Cincy. Cincinnati 33 market, Louiseville 49. FYI Tampa 14, Miami 17, Orlando 19, Tally 106, Gainesville 160 (But to be far all points North of Tampa and South of Lake City should be counted).

You should know the answer to that.  They bring a bolw game, if needed, great fans that travel, and can see the look on UNC & Duke when they now may have to face UL on regular basis on the hardwood.

By the way - USF would go from the best BB conference in the country to the best BB conference in the country.

Can you say "Road Trip'  Atalnta,Tally,Miami & maybe even Orlando.  NC State has a really cool stadium - very homey.

• Group:  Bull Backers
  • Content Count:  4,741
  • Days Won:  3

You should know the answer to that.  They bring a bolw game, if needed, great fans that travel, and can see the look on UNC & Duke when they now may have to face UL on regular basis on the hardwood.

By the way - USF would go from the best BB conference in the country to the best BB conference in the country.

Can you say "Road Trip'  Atalnta,Tally,Miami & maybe even Orlando.  NC State has a really cool stadium - very homey.

The travel would be incredible. Theoretically with 5 road games, we could play no more northern than Clemson (GREAT atmosphere). Like you said Atl, Tally, Miami, Orlando, and  Clemson.

Archived