• USF Bulls fans join us at The Bulls Pen

It's simple, free and connects you to other South Florida Bulls fans!

• Members do not see this ad, Register

ESPN's Brian Bennett's practice notes/Interview w/Skip

• Group:  Member
  • Topic Count:  0
  • Content Count:  693
  • Days Won:  0

Havent heard this in a while

"Depth won't be a problem for the offensive line. It looks like there are lot of capable big bodies."

Having all starting and reserve lineman from last year return is huge...hopefully they drastically improve and cut the penalties.

• Content Count:  66,091
  • Days Won:  172

the thing that sticks with me:

this isn't the first interview where he has stressed that our team is not where it needs to be fundamentally

I have $10 that you hear that from Holtz every spring, and through much of every season.  He wants them to think basics all the time, and let the coaches do the thinking.  It likely isn't a reflection on the previous regime nearly as much as a reflection that the current one stresses fundamentals.

fundamentals were never stressed in past

athleticism was counted on to win the day

• Content Count:  1,204

the thing that sticks with me:

this isn't the first interview where he has stressed that our team is not where it needs to be fundamentally

I have $10 that you hear that from Holtz every spring, and through much of every season.  He wants them to think basics all the time, and let the coaches do the thinking.  It likely isn't a reflection on the previous regime nearly as much as a reflection that the current one stresses fundamentals.

fundamentals were never stressed in past

athleticism was counted on to win the day

I don't think fundamentals or discipline when it comes to making mistakes were stressed all that much.  I think part of the problem may have been that we weren't as centered on scheme, so there weren't positions for players to be in on offense or defense.  Most all of our success came from athleticism.

Skip is more scheme oriented.  He's going to expect that guys not miss their blocks, that they stick to their routes, that they not be out of position on D, that they tackle.  I think Leavitt only cared about that stuff when things went wrong but didn't stress it as much.  You have to get after a player for missing blocks even if things turned out okay.  Same thing on the route running.  If everyone is executing then it makes things easier and a good scheme can make up for any weaknesses you might have as a team.

I betcha Skip is concerned about how to play more physically versus the Miami and Florida's because he wants to win those teams.  Beating Florida would further endear him to USF students, alums, and donors.  Beating Miami and Florida in the same year would further do that.

Holtz's approach is definitely different.  He doesn't seem as "in your face".  In many ways he strikes me as closer to Tony Dungy - you respect the guy a lot as a player and feel like dirt when you let him down.  He'll yell more than Dungy ever wood, but he has a more genial manner.

And I think it's pretty clear that the press is starting to love him.  As that creep Bianchi said, he makes their lives easier.  But he's a likable guy who plays well with others. 

With Holtz's track record, I'm looking forward to seeing the offense.  And I love the defensive coaches.  Rick Smith could help improve the secondary. 

• Content Count:  1,204

Was Leavitt that much of an a-hole? Not seeing him except on the sidelines, where that sure seems possible, or on his show where he comes off as an "aw shucks" unpolished kinda guy, its hard to tell how he is off camera. But this is not the first reference to how he treated people. or at least the press, that I have read. I wonder if he has read these comments about the night and day personalities and has learned something, like the press can make or break you so you might want to be a little nicer to them.

I think he was pretty gruff to some.  But dealing with the press was never his thing and I can understand that, but it also hurts the program because it needs an ambassador.  That's a huge difference.  Skip knows the power of the media and that getting along with them can help the program.

I think Leavitt was always focused on the work and that's good to a point, though I don't think that the workaholic personality equates to quality.  I'm not shy of work, but I'm big on efficiency.  Doing work for work's sake is not something I like - and I think there was too much of "work for work's sake" under Leavitt because of his whole workaholic personality.  He just never really saw the media as part of that.  He cared more for breaking down tape or practices because that's what he saw as coaching.  I don't think he ever thought that dealing with the media was a vital part of that.

And I think the team got worn out due to some of the work and possibly because they saw it more as work and less as a fun game.  You need a balance because you want to maintain the competitiveness, but it's like any job or anything you do - if you don't enjoy it then you can't really put your whole heart into it.

I think Skip creates an atmosphere more in line with the "it's work but it's fun work - and we want to win at it and put our best foot forward every time."  Just driving players hard in practice does not mean you'll get your best.  And I think that Leavitt may have thought that that would solve and technical problems or penalty problems the team might have. 

I see that attitude in business all the time, people that think that more work will necessarily make them better.  It won't if it's not the right kind of work needed.  I'm all about efficiency and finding solutions to problems.  A coach needs to do that too.  Find the most efficient offense and defense for the players you have and figure out how to minimize any issues that might arise due to the talent and skills at your disposal.  In this, a coach is very much a manager.  He also has to maintain morale daily and make sure the gig never becomes a chore.

• Content Count:  8,159
  • Days Won:  8

Love the Skipper's approach...and glad the media likes him.

• Content Count:  66,091
  • Days Won:  172

holtz is the future

leavitt was past

the difference is obvious like night and day

• Group:  Moderator
  • Content Count:  74,647
  • Days Won:  424

holtz is the future

leavitt was past

the difference is obvious like night and day

Thde difference is more like dawn and day ...

Archived