• USF Bulls fans join us at The Bulls Pen

It's simple, free and connects you to other South Florida Bulls fans!

• Members do not see this ad, Register

Welcome to stepping stone U

• Group:  Member
  • Topic Count:  0
  • Content Count:  879
  • Days Won:  0

I dont see how you would leave USF. Great facilities, right in the middle of one of America's hotbeds for recruiting, with the Big East it gives us a tie into BCS Bowls and probably the easiest road to a BCS bowl than any other BCS conference out there. Only jobs that I would see us as stepping stones for would be the USC's, Florida's, Notre Dame jobs. And those don't come around every year, well recently they do  ::). I don't want to hire a coach because he is less likely to leave us for another program, hell if he is being hunted by other programs that means he's doing a good job at USF.

I agree with everything except the great facilities.  Sure, we play in an NFL stadium, but every other facility we have pretty much stinks.

• Replies 21
  • Created
  • Last Reply

• Content Count:  5,241

I dont see how you would leave USF. Great facilities, right in the middle of one of America's hotbeds for recruiting, with the Big East it gives us a tie into BCS Bowls and probably the easiest road to a BCS bowl than any other BCS conference out there. Only jobs that I would see us as stepping stones for would be the USC's, Florida's, Notre Dame jobs. And those don't come around every year, well recently they do  ::). I don't want to hire a coach because he is less likely to leave us for another program, hell if he is being hunted by other programs that means he's doing a good job at USF.

I agree with everything except the great facilities.  Sure, we play in an NFL stadium, but every other facility we have pretty much stinks.

Actually our Gym (athletes gym not the student one) and Athletic building are top notch

• Content Count:  1,867
  • Days Won:  2

The "stepping stone" idea would mean coaches would come here and raise the program to a more elite status and then leave.  Frankly as long as we can maintain a high-level of coaching staff, I'd be OK with that.

• Group:  Moderator
  • Content Count:  74,639
  • Days Won:  424

I'm not totally convinced of that. The only two Big East coaches to leave for other jobs lately went to the NFL (Petrino) and Notre Dame (Kelly). You can't do anything about the first one, and Cincinnati doesn't have some of the advantages of USF as far as facilities, access to talent, size of stadium, etc.

Don't forget RichRod .... but I can't buy into the stepping stone theory too much, either. Only thing that would concern me is you need someone in here who thinks somewhat outsdie the box when it comes to the stadium situation ... at least, for a while.

• Content Count:  1,797

And Dantonio, John L Smith.  We have some things going for us, except the pay thing, tradition thing, booster thing, attendance thing (no matter who we are playing), etc.  I love USF, but we are not 'big time' in the national conscience by any means.

Normal

• Content Count:  21,336
  • Days Won:  10

We will not be able to hire anyone of talent because we don't have the money.  Take 10 giant steps back and go to jail.

• Content Count:  1,079

We will not be able to hire anyone of talent because we don't have the money.   Take 10 giant steps back and go to jail.

I've been saving this in my wallet for a special occasion:

get%20out%20of%20jail%20free.jpg

• Content Count:  4,879

good chance McCarney would stay.  He's far enough along career/age wise and they have a home in Sarasota

Guest nybullsfan

I agree with Normal's original post. Below is some of my my analysis from a couple of days ago

If we were to fire CJL now, what would happen?

- We'd have to hire another coach, whose loyalty would be to himself first, USF second.

- Duh.

However. USF is not seen as a top-tier, desirable football school, so...

- We wouldn't be able to get the BEST coach available, and

- For whoever we DID get, as soon as a better offer came along, he'd be gone (see Brian Kelly)

Therefore, as soon as our new coach started getting a little success, he'd also be getting offers to leave. USF won't be able to compete with many of these other offers because (1) we don't have the money, and (2) we don't have the prestige. So for the next 10-15 years, we'd be constantly running a coaching carousel, as coaches would only see a job here as an intermediate step on the ladder. It would take us forever to get to the elite level doing this.

• Content Count:  21,081
  • Days Won:  39

Welcome to stepping stone U conference.

Fixed  >:D

Well it's a done deal people.  There is no going back.  Yes coaches flee from the Big East at the first sniff of success but we will have to just live with any future turmoil and hope we are not looking like Cinci in a coachless bowl game.

Archived