• USF Bulls fans join us at The Bulls Pen

It's simple, free and connects you to other South Florida Bulls fans!

• Members do not see this ad, Register

Second OL commit of the weekend

• Group:  Member
  • Topic Count:  0
  • Content Count:  7,993
  • Days Won:  21

Per Greg's blog.  Lakewood Ranch OT Austin Reiter.  6'4" and 255 pounds.  January enrollee.

3 year project.  Hoping to build him up given that weight.

• Content Count:  12,293
  • Days Won:  0

we need the RIGHT NOW guys.  its funny, we obviously have openings to where guys could start right away but we still cant get the solid OL recruits.

is daren rose gonna be here next year?  popek will be solid.

Non-juco right now linemen are few and far between.  And they tend to go to the usc, uf, ohio state schools.  Rose is supposed to be here in the summer, which means he'll miss spring practice and at best be here for the summer.  He also has to serve a 4 game suspension.  If he is in shape and picks up the offense he may give us 7-8 games.  Too many ifs for me.

i would take JuCo guys.

as for Rose...if he hasnt figured it out by now then we dont need him.  however, if he does make it on team i think he will be our best OL ever.  even if he plays 9 games next year.

as you said....a lot of ifs and if he solves those ifs...he will be a great player.  you would think that would be enough for him.

• Content Count:  6,827
  • Days Won:  22

We have a nucleus right here right now that can get better during the offseason and make next year better.

Genus at Center

Herrmann at Guard- was out last 4 games due to injury

Bass at guard

Popek- Tackle

Sims at Tackle

Those guys can get stronger and be our best line ever, this will allow time for guys like Jacques, Green and the incoming freshmen to get bigger and stronger. If Rose comes in he could be the other starting tackle or add depth by conference time.

cuban...i hope you are right.

if we had a decent OL we would win the big east.

but we have the worst OL in the big east and our talent at the skill position cant make up for it.

i wish our coaches would realize that.  the qb/rb option only works when you can run block.  we cant.

can we mix a lead blocker in there?  i would love to see richard kelly line up in front of mike ford and tell the OL...hey we are just gonna try to get 7 yards...lets do this....

instead we try to "trick" everyone.  it doesnt work.  cause we cant block but in our scheme...i dont blame our players....

Matt

We knew going into this season that OLine would struggle.

We had

Genus at center after being moved from defense.

Popek a RS freshmen with no starts in college

Bass a JUCO that was forcedto play out position at tackle due to lack of depth

Sims and Hine, two walk ons that ended up starting

Herrman the most experienced guy was out last 4 games

So very little if any playing experience, or time playing together

Now you have ALL of these guys back and get more time to gain weight strength.

add back ups that played like McCaskill, Estenor and RS guys like Jacques

and I think you have to expect that our Oline will be stronger and deeper next year.

• Content Count:  5,241

IF we could get that 4 star JUCO John Cullen as well I'd be very happy with our O-line.  I dont think we should be wasing any time on Rose, as he'd only be eligible for 8 games and that would be it for his eligibility.

Here is the deal with rose. If he is GOOD enough to come in and START or be a capable back up then I say bring him in. He will be ready for conference games and we all know how halfway thru every season our team gets banged up specially in the oline and we struggle. Its a no brainer to bring him in if he can produce

We brought in juco linemen as stopgaps.  Last year was supposed to be Bass, Rose and Savala, but Savala and Rose didn't make it in.  This year is Justin Green and Rose again.

Sr- Genus, Hermann, Bass, Sims, Rose

Jr.-  Hines, McCaskill, Warren

So.-  Popek, Garvin, Estenor, Green, Edwards

RFr.-McGhin, Jacques

Fr.- Kibler, Reiter, Eatmon

That is my unofficial count for next year, with the guys in bold being incoming (provided they clear academically).  Hermann is coming off a neck injury, Rose is a big IF, Sims is average at best (mostly important because he can play any position).  There is a lot of bodies on the interior.  The huge question is at tackle where only Popek, Edwards and Eatmon have the frames to be true BCS OT.  Eatmon will be a freshman so he can't be there.  Can Edwards be an OT?  I don't know, but I have heard mixed things.  If the staff took another 1 or 2 linemen I would not be surprised, but we're pushing close to 20 guys on scholarship there.

Archived