• USF Bulls fans join us at The Bulls Pen

It's simple, free and connects you to other South Florida Bulls fans!

• Members do not see this ad, Register

Bulls football 2009

• Group:  Member
  • Topic Count:  0
  • Content Count:  6,828
  • Days Won:  22

Taking out the two 1AAs and WKY

Here are some interesting facts about this team.

If we lead at the half we are 4-0, if we trail at the half we are 0-4

Leading in FIRST Quarter we are 3-1, we trail in FIRST quarter we are 0-3

So keep an eye on our game saturday vs UConn and hope we stay in the lead early or it will get ugly and have no shot.

• Content Count:  9,759
  • Days Won:  9

Cuban you're right.  This team is either in it to win it, or out of it by the 2nd Quarter.  We haven't really lost a close game this year.  I guess Cincinnati would be the closest thing to a close loss, but we played so horribly in the 2nd Half that I don't even count that.  This team is only as good as BJ is on a certain day.  Against good competition (power teams that play smashmouth) we tend to play poorly, but against speed teams or lower echelon teams we seem to compete.  They are actually pretty easy to figure out.  Its not BJs fault, he needs time to get better, but the team is way to predictable.  It would be a really good win in my opinion if we beat UConn.  Add in the snow element and I just don't see us hanging with that team.  In our losses it seems we have no heart.  Look at the games we've lost and how we've lost them.  Pitt, RU, Miami were all blowouts.  Our guys had everything to play for and they pretty much laid an egg.  Kion Wilson is the only one that I've seen plays the same way win or lose.  He's a true competitor and leaves it all on the field.  I wish I could say the same for the other players, but I can't.  I hope I'm wrong but I think I've seen enough of the '09 Bulls to realize we are an average at best team. 

Joe

You are correct this team is average at best right now. Many of us were blinded by the early start when we didnt face any of those teams that we have probling matching up against. I think the reality is that when we face those teams is only a matter of time before they overwhelm us. As you said this game tonight is a perfect example we dont match up well vs UConn so the key is not to fall behind and allow them to pound us into the ground.

BJ is a great athlete but he has some weaknesses. His short passing game is not consistent enough right now and he doesnt have confidence in it. You couple that with our OLine inexperience and problems and we really dont have much of a running threat unless BJ scrambles. Opposing teams can then bring the house on us and put presure on BJ.

It really doesnt matter what offense we run right now because with the current players skills and experience they wouldnt work. Our entire offense returns next year, so IF we dont see improvements in OL, WRs and QBs then it falls entirely on our coaching staff.

• Content Count:  16,407
  • Days Won:  43

Seems like the season ended in the second half of the Cincy game. That Collaros 78 yard TD run was the dagger for the 2009 season. I honestly cant wait until this season is over as I want to see this team get better and stronger for next season.

I wouldnt say that it was a dagger for the season.

I think we were well prepared for facing Pike and the Cincy offense, once he got knock out it was normal for the team to relax a bit and their new QB brought a style that we werent prepated for and was more efective vs our defense.

After that we faced teams like Pitt, Rutgers and UM with offensive lines big enough to push our defense and with our offense struggling they were able to keep pounding us.

• Content Count:  16,407
  • Days Won:  43

Also, that WKU team seemed to get too many yards running up the middle. Leavitt is right to be concerned about our interior linemen. They have to get better next year or teams are going to use that weakness next season. Cincy just ran up the middle in that second half to run out the clock and ice the game. USF's interior linemen must have been out of gas. Overall, a lot of areas USF needs to get better next season. Special teams, secondary, OL, running game, and interior line. I would through in QB play, but I really think BJ needs more of a supporting cast to really blame him.

• Content Count:  12,463
  • Days Won:  25

WKU ran up the middle, did we make adjustments KNOWING that our BE rivals watch film?

FSU tried, but fortunately we knocked the rb's jock sideways and showed we could stand up to them. Since then our D plays like they're afraid to hit someone. I've never seen so many attempts to tackle by grabbing arms and shoulders. it ain't gonna work!

One thing I do know, UConn will play for sixty minutes.

One thing I don't know, will we?

• Content Count:  6,348
  • Days Won:  8

Experience aside, one concern for the long term is are we building the team to match up against the Big East teams?  I have said this before and I think it bears repeating. USF can't recruit or build the team to play like a Florida speed team when the conferernce is built differently. We don't match up and haven't matched up well with a few of these bigger, smash mouth teams for a few years. We caught UL while they were down and WVU is a different team without White.

Before anyone starts comparing us to the Miami of old we aren't built like they were and their recruits were not all from Florida. Most were from out of state. You can't compare us to Florida. They play all of their games in warm weather. We are not built to compete consistently against smash mouth teams. I also question our toughness both mentally and physically.

I do agree that our lines need to get bigger, specially in the middle.

If you look at our roster McCalain is the only big body we had for the losses. Grissom is the only big size guy and he was hurt early on. We need to get bigger guys that will clog the middle and make it easier for our LBs to get to the backs.

It takes time and right now we dont have much depth or experience in those areas so once injuries start we cant replace them

Archived