• USF Bulls fans join us at The Bulls Pen

It's simple, free and connects you to other South Florida Bulls fans!

• Members do not see this ad, Register

Timeouts

• Group:  Member
  • Topic Count:  0
  • Content Count:  10,369
  • Days Won:  7

Anyone think our coaches are aware we only get three per half and that they can be somewhat valuable toward the end of a close game?

We have had a lot of threads about quality of our coaching, and I honestly think it is very high, but we seem to just waste an absurd number of time outs.  Wasted two early on defense in the first half, then wasted the third on our TD drive - really want to save that last one in case you need it to get the field goal team on.  Now, early in the 4th we have just burnt our last on a punt...  What did our coaching staff thing WVU was going to do on 4th an 4 from their own 20?

Baffling...

• Content Count:  10,369
  • Days Won:  7

Apparently BJ isn't aware we only get 3

• Content Count:  45
  • Days Won:  0

May cost them the game..delay of game on a critical 3rd down because they used them all on special teams.

• Content Count:  8,159
  • Days Won:  8

Agree here...so bizarre.  I can't conceive of a reason for these last two TOs on punt downs.

• Group:  Admin
  • Content Count:  97,090
  • Days Won:  469

Thank heavens it wasn't a close game.  Timeouts have been an issue for a long time.  Some value them more than others.

• Content Count:  3,307
  • Days Won:  1

Agree here...so bizarre.  I can't conceive of a reason for these last two TOs on punt downs.

Afraid of a fake. WVU bringing a player in motion out of the punt formation must have made them think they might try to run for a first down. Especially with it being 4th and short on both of them and everyone spread out on the LOS because of the rugby punt formation.

On the flip side, there were a couple times I couldn't believe WVU decided to punt. Especially in the third quarter when they had it what, 4th and 8 on the USF 33? That's a spot where you need to go for it.

• Content Count:  6,348
  • Days Won:  8

Actually, I diidn't have that much of a problem in the situations that they called them on.  They were confused both times when the guy sprinted out to the wing.  I'd rather call time out there rand make sure of the coverage rather than have a pass to an open receiver on 4th down like what happened with Ito a few years ago vs Rutgers.  

Not saying I was crazy about wasting them, but I'd rather be safe there if they were confused.

• Content Count:  1,412
  • Days Won:  0

Injuries screwed up the personnel on the punt team, they were scrambling to get the right healthy guys in there.

Archived