• USF Bulls fans join us at The Bulls Pen

It's simple, free and connects you to other South Florida Bulls fans!

• Members do not see this ad, Register

hype and unreachable goals

• Group:  Member
  • Topic Count:  0
  • Content Count:  667
  • Days Won:  0

will people stop using "#2 ranking in 2007"?? we didn't FINISH #2.. we were at #2 for like the first quarter of the season, then we did the annual choke-job.  Trust me, i was at rutgers that thursday night and endured the brunt of it.

and for "unreachable goals", i don't think winning the Big East at this point is "Unreachable".. We're located in TAMPA, surrounded by america's best football talent, and if UConn can do it from way up in Storrs, CT, i think we can manage a little.  UL, Cincy and UConn started in the Big East the same time we did and have won it already.  I don't think it's asking for too much.  Hell, at this point, i just want some 'meaningful' Big East games towards the end of the year (meaningful = still in the hunt for the conference title).  with 2 losses in conference, we've kissed the conference title goodbye.

• Replies 34
  • Created
  • Last Reply

• Group:  Admin
  • Content Count:  97,073
  • Days Won:  469

will people stop using "#2 ranking in 2007"?? we didn't FINISH #2.. we were at #2 for like the first quarter of the season, then we did the annual choke-job.  Trust me, i was at rutgers that thursday night and endured the brunt of it.

It's an accomplishment that the media uses.  It happened.  End of story.

Would you stop using "0-2 in conference" please since we won't end the season that way?

• Content Count:  8,174
  • Days Won:  6

USF fans are so unrealistic it is crazy.  You all have no clue how lucky we are to have a team that is competative, has risen so fast in such a short peroid of time.  IF you were unaware FSU, UM, and UF (the big three if you will) all started off as nothing as well.  Lets take a look at their progression shall we???  FSU started in 1947 and took them until 1992 to join the ACC, UM started in 1927 and took them untill 1991 to join the BE (mind you they were quite good as an independant for a few years before that) and the national darling UF started in 1906 joined the SEC in 1933 and didnt win their first conference title till 1991.

Now lets look at USF shall we.  Started football in 1997 in Division 1 AA, joined D1A in 2001 and CUSA in 2003 then made the jump to BE in 2005.  Does anyone else see a difference in our ascension into big time football versus those other teams???

It takes time to build a program.  Sometimes I wish we would have come into the BE and fell on our faces for 10 years while building a solid program instead of how we overacheived.  Now its like being 5-2 is a bad thing and if we are not undefeated we suck and all the coaches should be fired, the players benched, and the university should shut down the athletics program.  

Our program is now basically an awkward teenager in the grand scheme of things and is going through its growing phase.  IF you think we can go from nothing to NC contenders overnight then you are sadly mistaken.  I am proud to be a USF Alumni, proud to be a USF Football fan, and proud to see my program growing each and every year.  

the BCS system did not exist back then.

• Group:  Bull Backers
  • Content Count:  2,527

Why is it unrealistic to expect improvement with better recruits?  Cincy doesn't think so, why should we?

Our recruiting has improved every year since joining the Big East.  Our performance has actually declined.

Clinging to the "we've beaten ranked teams" doesn't have much value if we have 6 or 7 consecutive mid to low middle conference finishes.

• Group:  Admin
  • Content Count:  97,073
  • Days Won:  469

Why is it unrealistic to expect improvement with better recruits?

It's not

Our recruiting has improved every year since joining the Big East.  Our performance has actually declined.

How so?

Clinging to the "we've beaten ranked teams" doesn't have much value if we have 6 or 7 consecutive mid to low middle conference finishes.

Don't get dragged to the gutter, no one is "Clinging to "we've beaten ranked teams"" and Sitting_BULL, we've had one losing record in the BE - last season.  We need to do better, but it could be much worse too.

Come on.

• Content Count:  150

USF fans are so unrealistic it is crazy.  You all have no clue how lucky we are to have a team that is competative, has risen so fast in such a short peroid of time.  IF you were unaware FSU, UM, and UF (the big three if you will) all started off as nothing as well.  Lets take a look at their progression shall we???  FSU started in 1947 and took them until 1992 to join the ACC, UM started in 1927 and took them untill 1991 to join the BE (mind you they were quite good as an independant for a few years before that) and the national darling UF started in 1906 joined the SEC in 1933 and didnt win their first conference title till 1991.

Now lets look at USF shall we.  Started football in 1997 in Division 1 AA, joined D1A in 2001 and CUSA in 2003 then made the jump to BE in 2005.  Does anyone else see a difference in our ascension into big time football versus those other teams???

It takes time to build a program.  Sometimes I wish we would have come into the BE and fell on our faces for 10 years while building a solid program instead of how we overacheived.  Now its like being 5-2 is a bad thing and if we are not undefeated we suck and all the coaches should be fired, the players benched, and the university should shut down the athletics program.  

Our program is now basically an awkward teenager in the grand scheme of things and is going through its growing phase.  IF you think we can go from nothing to NC contenders overnight then you are sadly mistaken.  I am proud to be a USF Alumni, proud to be a USF Football fan, and proud to see my program growing each and every year.  

What does the BSCS have to do with how we  began?  Our goals and expectations have nothing to do when the BCS began, our goals and expectaions should be more realistic with our program and the stage of where USF football is.  Our team should be focused on recruting D1 BE players, getting more consistant, depth, fundamentals, and the like.  National champions are not made over night they are built with hard work time and dedication.  Look at the teams that are comepeting for the NC, they are not one hit wonders, young programs, they are teams that have built thier programs over years.  Those programs have 2-3 deep at every position that are basically just as good as the starters or maybe a slight step below.  We are not to that level yet but we are striving towards it, and at a greater pace then any before us.  We need time and patience and support from our fans and alumni to continue to grow and mature.

• Content Count:  959

Give me a time frame of when I can expect to contend for a Big East title so I do not set myself up for a major disappointment ? 2010-2020  I mean it has to fall within this time frame. If not, let me know so I can enroll in another school and graduate. I am starting to get a little long in the tooth. Also when will we learn penalties are bad and if you do not show up for games the other team will kick your teeth in.

• Group:  Bull Backers
  • Content Count:  2,527

Why is it unrealistic to expect improvement with better recruits?

It's not

[glow=red,2,300]How so?[/glow]

Don't get dragged to the gutter, no one is "Clinging to "we've beaten ranked teams"" and Sitting_BULL, we've had one losing record in the BE -[glow=red,2,300] last season. [/glow] We need to do better, but it could be much worse too.

Come on.

• Content Count:  8,174
  • Days Won:  6

What does the BSCS have to do with how we  began?  Our goals and expectations have nothing to do when the BCS began, our goals and expectaions should be more realistic with our program and the stage of where USF football is.  Our team should be focused on recruting D1 BE players, getting more consistant, depth, fundamentals, and the like.  National champions are not made over night they are built with hard work time and dedication.  Look at the teams that are comepeting for the NC, they are not one hit wonders, young programs, they are teams that have built thier programs over years.  Those programs have 2-3 deep at every position that are basically just as good as the starters or maybe a slight step below.  We are not to that level yet but we are striving towards it, and at a greater pace then any before us.  We need time and patience and support from our fans and alumni to continue to grow and mature.

what it means is that the teams you mentioned had no need to join a good conference.

• Content Count:  3,649
  • Days Won:  4

Well I do think if Leavitt gets the team hyped up and actually beats UM then this will be considered a successful season. I still think 4 wins in the conference is not impossible but I doubt UWV will be one of them. UConn is struggling and so is Rutgers. The question is can we actually beat them in their place? We have .......... but it has been a long time.

Archived