• USF Bulls fans join us at The Bulls Pen

It's simple, free and connects you to other South Florida Bulls fans!

• Members do not see this ad, Register

hype and unreachable goals

• Group:  Member
  • Topic Count:  0
  • Content Count:  4,259
  • Days Won:  3

Don't confuse anger over Saturday's performance with disappointment due to unrealistic expectations.   It's not "hype" or an "unreachable goal" to expect the team to show up and play with heart.  That's all I'm looking for.  I didn't see it Saturday.

The sportscasters commented on it during the game.  I guess they broadcast the game realizing that it wouldn't be competitive because having it be competitive would be unrealistic. ::) Some of you have no friggin clue about competitive sports and seem to think that participation alone merits accolades.  Go ahead and see how many "participation" trophies are in the USF trophy case - NONE!  That crap is only used for your adolescent son or daughter (fortunately) - not NCAA sports.

• Replies 34
  • Created
  • Last Reply

• Group:  Bull Backers
  • Content Count:  4,741
  • Days Won:  3

USF fans are so unrealistic it is crazy.  You all have no clue how lucky we are to have a team that is competative, has risen so fast in such a short peroid of time.  IF you were unaware FSU, UM, and UF (the big three if you will) all started off as nothing as well.  Lets take a look at their progression shall we???  FSU started in 1947 and took them until 1992 to join the ACC, UM started in 1927 and took them untill 1991 to join the BE (mind you they were quite good as an independant for a few years before that) and the national darling UF started in 1906 joined the SEC in 1933 and didnt win their first conference title till 1991.

Now lets look at USF shall we.  Started football in 1997 in Division 1 AA, joined D1A in 2001 and CUSA in 2003 then made the jump to BE in 2005.  Does anyone else see a difference in our ascension into big time football versus those other teams???

It takes time to build a program.  Sometimes I wish we would have come into the BE and fell on our faces for 10 years while building a solid program instead of how we overacheived.  Now its like being 5-2 is a bad thing and if we are not undefeated we suck and all the coaches should be fired, the players benched, and the university should shut down the athletics program.  

Our program is now basically an awkward teenager in the grand scheme of things and is going through its growing phase.  IF you think we can go from nothing to NC contenders overnight then you are sadly mistaken.  I am proud to be a USF Alumni, proud to be a USF Football fan, and proud to see my program growing each and every year.  

the BCS system did not exist back then.

What does the BSCS have to do with how we  began?  Our goals and expectations have nothing to do when the BCS began, our goals and expectaions should be more realistic with our program and the stage of where USF football is.  Our team should be focused on recruting D1 BE players, getting more consistant, depth, fundamentals, and the like.  National champions are not made over night they are built with hard work time and dedication.  Look at the teams that are comepeting for the NC, they are not one hit wonders, young programs, they are teams that have built thier programs over years.  Those programs have 2-3 deep at every position that are basically just as good as the starters or maybe a slight step below.  We are not to that level yet but we are striving towards it, and at a greater pace then any before us.  We need time and patience and support from our fans and alumni to continue to grow and mature.

The 13 year old excuse is just that old. Bobby Bowden got to FSU in 1976, very little infrastructure, very little facilities etc.. The Noles played for a NC 3 years later. They playd OU in the Organe Bowl. The atomsphere in the state of Florida has changed dramatically in the last 30 years. Florida has become a hot bed of High School recruits. That wasn't the case before the 80's. We are in a much better situation than FSU, UF, and UM were every in. We just have to keep the local talent home, and occasionally get the out of state recruit. I am not satisfied with 7-5, 8-4 seasons, year after year after year. I will continue to support the team, that is a given. However, I think that we could put a better product on the field. How many years are we going to have to accept the "well we're only XX years old" excuse??

• Content Count:  1,412
  • Days Won:  0

So why does it seem our program is a sick version of Groundhog day, every year?

Young, Talented, no discipline, stupid mistakes, etc. etc.

Very simple, we are young and we are talented.

Every YEAR our recruiting improves, that is great, problem is the current batch of recruits are so talented they outperform the veterans when they show up on campus and we get the same thing on the field...

Mistakes, penalties and big plays by the other teams make our defense looks stupid.  (sounds a lot like FSU right now too)

'07 we had a team that was experienced and talented but very thin and when we started to get beat up on each line, we couldn't compete and were never the same.

A lot of you will not understand this but talent will make you look more stupid when you make the wrong play than someone without talent!

Talent and speed allows you to be more disciplined and not cheat, if you don't have talent, you have to cheat or you will get burnt!  Our young guys need to learn this!

Additionally, we need size, size size!  There is a lot of speed and skill out there, the difference in recruiting appears to be the size!  I guess 300 lb lineman don't grow on trees!

• Content Count:  66,091
  • Days Won:  172

USF fans are so unrealistic it is crazy.  You all have no clue how lucky we are to have a team that is competative, has risen so fast in such a short peroid of time.  IF you were unaware FSU, UM, and UF (the big three if you will) all started off as nothing as well.  Lets take a look at their progression shall we???  FSU started in 1947 and took them until 1992 to join the ACC, UM started in 1927 and took them untill 1991 to join the BE (mind you they were quite good as an independant for a few years before that) and the national darling UF started in 1906 joined the SEC in 1933 and didnt win their first conference title till 1991.

Now lets look at USF shall we.  Started football in 1997 in Division 1 AA, joined D1A in 2001 and CUSA in 2003 then made the jump to BE in 2005.  Does anyone else see a difference in our ascension into big time football versus those other teams???

It takes time to build a program.  Sometimes I wish we would have come into the BE and fell on our faces for 10 years while building a solid program instead of how we overacheived.  Now its like being 5-2 is a bad thing and if we are not undefeated we suck and all the coaches should be fired, the players benched, and the university should shut down the athletics program.  

Our program is now basically an awkward teenager in the grand scheme of things and is going through its growing phase.  IF you think we can go from nothing to NC contenders overnight then you are sadly mistaken.  I am proud to be a USF Alumni, proud to be a USF Football fan, and proud to see my program growing each and every year.  

What does the BSCS have to do with how we  began?  Our goals and expectations have nothing to do when the BCS began, our goals and expectaions should be more realistic with our program and the stage of where USF football is.  Our team should be focused on recruting D1 BE players, getting more consistant, depth, fundamentals, and the like.  National champions are not made over night they are built with hard work time and dedication.  Look at the teams that are comepeting for the NC, they are not one hit wonders, young programs, they are teams that have built thier programs over years.  Those programs have 2-3 deep at every position that are basically just as good as the starters or maybe a slight step below.  We are not to that level yet but we are striving towards it, and at a greater pace then any before us.  We need time and patience and support from our fans and alumni to continue to grow and mature.

what it means is that the teams you mentioned had no need to join a good conference.

Hatter your comments make no sense once so ever.  First the BCS has no relevance on the fact that although we have have had some moderate success early in the past 3 seasons, we are a young football program still tryng to get recruts to buld a team and program.  Secondly What does UF FSU and UM not needed aconference have anythng to do wth the fact that those teams took decades to buld a respectable program, and thnkng that USF wll somehow overnght be a National contender and championship team after just 13 seasons is ludicris.  You expectation are not only rediculous but youa re just setting yourself up for disappointment.  The program needs time to build, to develop, and to grow into what we eventaually will become.  As a good point of view may to be kto look at USF football like we look at BJ daniels.  Like USF BJ is young and extremelty talented, however he as USF is undeveloped and raw.  Bj will need years of expereince, coaching, mentoring, growing, and just plain time to develop all of his talents and skills into the QB we all know he can be, like USF.  USf needs the same time to build, grow develop.  

Just my 2 cents though

excuses for failure

are you related to anyone on coaching staff

usc is starting a true freshman

it is a different game today and usf could have easily dominated this sorry conference had they been able to out recruit and out coach cinncinati(never considered a football power)

usf doesnt need more time it nees another coach

it matters very little what happen last year it matters what happens next year and that is why programs get turned around

leavitt had his chance

• Content Count:  1,768
  • Days Won:  1

The 13 year old excuse is just that old. Bobby Bowden got to FSU in 1976, very little infrastructure, very little facilities etc.. The Noles played for a NC 3 years later. They playd OU in the Organe Bowl. The atomsphere in the state of Florida has changed dramatically in the last 30 years. Florida has become a hot bed of High School recruits. That wasn't the case before the 80's. We are in a much better situation than FSU, UF, and UM were every in. We just have to keep the local talent home, and occasionally get the out of state recruit. I am not satisfied with 7-5, 8-4 seasons, year after year after year. I will continue to support the team, that is a given. However, I think that we could put a better product on the field. How many years are we going to have to accept the "well we're only XX years old" excuse??

I don't think this is even remotely correct.  When FSU, UM and UF got going, there wasn't scholarship limitations like now.  Other schools didn't recruit Florida as hard as they do now.  Not to mention, they were only competing for those recruits amongst themselves in state.  Now theres 4 more DIA schools in the state.  If things were that easy now, then wouldn't FSU, UM and UF, with all their history (national titles, conference titles, bowl victories, etc...) and resources never go through a 8-5/9-4 season?  Hmmm, seems to me that all 3 have had a down year or two (or four or five for FSU) with the current state of affairs.  Again, some of you are living a pipe dream if you think its that easy to build a national title contender.  (Really does give our fanbase that ignorant/entitled perception that UCF fans comlain about)

Archived