• USF Bulls fans join us at The Bulls Pen

It's simple, free and connects you to other South Florida Bulls fans!

• Members do not see this ad, Register

Marcus Jordan and UCF issue

• Group:  Member
  • Topic Count:  0
  • Content Count:  5,241
  • Days Won:  0

Think Nike might pick em up and give em Oregon Style Unis for dropping its competition?  ;D

Jordan's kid better be really good, he just cost the school $3 million

• Replies 45
  • Created
  • Last Reply

• Content Count:  5,881
  • Days Won:  7

kid is a headcase already. get over wearing daddy's shoes. i can already tell its all about "him" and not about the team.

• Content Count:  66,091
  • Days Won:  172

Jordan's son wears NikeComment Email Print Share Associated Press

ORLANDO, Fla. -- A fight over the shoes Michael Jordan's son will wear at the University of Central Florida has cost the school any future sponsorship with adidas.

"The University of Central Florida has chosen not to deliver on their contractual commitment to adidas," adidas spokeswoman Andrea Corso wrote in an e-mail to The Associated Press. "As a result we have chosen not to continue our relationship with them moving forward."

Freshman guard Marcus Jordan wore a pair of white Air Jordans during UCF's 84-65 win in an exhibition game against Saint Leo on Wednesday night, the Orlando Sentinel reported on its Web site. Jordan has said he will only wear his father's Nike Air Jordan shoes because they hold special meaning to his family.

UCF is in the final year of a five-year contract with adidas that requires coaches and athletes to use the company's apparel and equipment.

"We are disappointed to learn that adidas has chosen to discontinue its relationship with UCF Athletics," the school said in a statement Wednesday night released by spokesman Joe Hornstein. "Once we receive official notice we will be able to further respond."

• Content Count:  66,091
  • Days Won:  172

the president of school needs to step in and tell the kid he needs to wear addidas

and ftu/ou/oc needs to stand by the contract

• Content Count:  10,369
  • Days Won:  7

the president of school needs to step in and tell the kid he needs to wear addidas

That would be about the worst thing the school could do.  They promissed him, when he was being recruited, he could wear his fathers shoes.  It was a condition he had to accepting the scholarship offer.  UCF should have cleared the issue with adidas before hand.  To be honest, I think adidas is making way to big a deal out of it.  Still, UCF should have addressed it with them prior to making the committment to this athlete.

• Content Count:  3,307
  • Days Won:  1

This is probably going to end OK for UCF. Nike has a wide-open opportunity to get some good PR by swooping in to sponsor the school. It may even end up being a good thing. The only people who will look bad are the Adidas people, who now look petty.

Maybe UCF will even stop wearing their stupid gold football jerseys where you can't tell the difference between them and the road whites.

• Group:  Moderator
  • Content Count:  74,678
  • Days Won:  424

That would be about the worst thing the school could do.  They promissed him, when he was being recruited, he could wear his fathers shoes.  It was a condition he had to accepting the scholarship offer.  UCF should have cleared the issue with adidas before hand.  To be honest, I think adidas is making way to big a deal out of it.  Still, UCF should have addressed it with them prior to making the committment to this athlete.

To be fair, if reports are true, UCF did clear it with Addidas ... problem was they didn't clear it with someone high enough in Addidas for the final approval .... supposedly. No matter what, I still think it shows badly on the younger Jordan, "shoes ...hold special meaning to his family" .... Please.

• Content Count:  645
  • Days Won:  0

I am no NCAA rules guru to be sure, but something about this strikes me as strange.  If they did promise him something before he signed, and all indications are that they did, then would that be some sort of "special favor" given to one athelete that is not available to all?  And if so, would that cause the NCAA to raise an eyebrow?

I really don't know the answer.

• Content Count:  7,042
  • Days Won:  11

I figured it out. O'leary must have been the one to tell the kid it would be okay to wear his dad's shoes....we all know he's okay with telling a little lie.  ;D

• Group:  Moderator
  • Content Count:  74,678
  • Days Won:  424

Reading all the quotes about this situation, two things are abundantly clear:

- No team with Nike deal offered the young Jordan.

- No other team would cave in to this having to wear Nike nonsense.

Archived