• USF Bulls fans join us at The Bulls Pen

It's simple, free and connects you to other South Florida Bulls fans!

• Members do not see this ad, Register

Pitt is having a "Blue" Out...

• Group:  TBP Subscriber III
  • Topic Count:  0
  • Content Count:  5,491
  • Days Won:  13

Pitt Notebook: Panthers' fans feeling 'blue'

Tuesday, October 20, 2009

By Paul Zeise, Pittsburgh Post-Gazette

Matt Freed/Post-Gazette

The students spoke, and Pitt athletic director Steve Pederson listened.

That's pretty much how Saturday's "Turn it Blue" promotion -- a show of spirit for the Panthers' homecoming game against South Florida -- came to be.

"A couple of weeks ago I got a letter from some of our students who said they thought it would be fun to turn the stadium blue," Pederson said. "And so we'll ask not only all the students, but all of our fans to come in blue to the game and celebrate and have fun together, and homecoming is a good time to do that."

Pederson said those with student tickets will receive a dark blue Pitt T-shirt to wear as they enter the stadium, and the stadium itself, as well as many different spots on campus, will be decorated in blue.

This is actually just one of a number of marketing initiatives the athletic department has implemented at the requests of groups of students and fans.

Pederson and his group of marketing gurus have taken these suggestions and run with them in order to improve the game-day atmosphere at Heinz Field. That would include a Fanfest-like atmosphere outside the stadium, a student tailgate on the Great Lawn and, among other things, the singing of "Sweet Caroline" at the end of the third quarter.

"It is a fun place to be," Pederson said. "And this was a neat idea, we thought, and we've listened to the students on a number of other things. Our attitude has been 'let's do it,' and our fans have appreciated it. Our fans have made great suggestions.

"The people that come to the games know what is going on and have great ideas. If we don't listen to the people who are most important to us, our fans, we are making a big mistake."

Link

• Replies 20
  • Created
  • Last Reply

• Group:  Member
  • Content Count:  3,649
  • Days Won:  4

They should call it "Screwed, blued, and tatooed "!  ;D

• Content Count:  2,994
  • Days Won:  4

this should be interesting. heinz field's seats are yellow. if you thought trying to green out a red seated stadium was fun, try watching to see how much yellow peeks through their "attempt" at a navy out.

• Content Count:  808
  • Days Won:  0

I'll be glad when this "white out" trend (and all its variations) are done.

• Content Count:  54

I'm afraid I just blue myself.

• Group:  Bull Backers
  • Content Count:  894

I can't believe that we're their Homecoming game when their next home game is against 'Cuse.

• Content Count:  2,363

What? Pittsburgh's getting blew out?

Archived