• USF Bulls fans join us at The Bulls Pen

It's simple, free and connects you to other South Florida Bulls fans!

• Members do not see this ad, Register

:-( ... says everything

• Group:  Moderator
  • Topic Count:  0
  • Content Count:  74,539
  • Days Won:  423

The day the Rays traded Kaz you knew they were thinking the same.

DING DING DING. There is a voice of reason on this board.

LOL .... just the fact that you agree with him negates that assessment.

• Group:  Member
  • Content Count:  1,768
  • Days Won:  1

Its not looking good, but the one and only good thing the Rays got going for them is that they still meet the Red Sox 4 times and the Rangers 3.   So in some fashion, they have control over their own fate.   They absolutely have to take 3/4 remaining games against Boston to have even a remote shot, and realistically need to take all 4 (winning 3/4 only brings us within 3 games that would need to be made up in just the other 25 games left....not impossible, but highly unlikely).  

And to keep things in perspective, Im just happy that here it is going on into Sept and Rays games still matter.  We knew coming into the season it was going to be a dogfight with the Yanks and BoSox on who was going to make it to the playoffs.  Ended up that way, we may just be the one with the short stick this year.  

And as Matt has pointed out, things still look bright for the future.  Realistically, the Rays had to trade a starting pitcher sometime before next year.   With Wade Davis knocking on the door and even greater talented Hellboy right behind him, a spot in the rotation needed to open up.   Trading Kaz allows them to let Aki go (Rodriguez taking his place), and possibly keep Crawford and Pena for next year to make another run.   The big decisions come after the 2010 season when Crawford/Pena/Burrell's contracts are up and BJ and Garza will be entering Arbitration.  

• Group:  Member
  • Content Count:  4,016
  • Days Won:  0

Good post bullshiznitz.  The trading of Kazmir while unfortunate was unnecessary, and that one trade cleared the way for a number of things to occur to put the team on solid footing for the 2010 season, with Rodriguez getting picked up in the trade, that gives the team the 2nd baseman to replace Aki, who they can let go.  They can put Zobrist in at RF, and let Kapler and his fat 10 year league min salary go.  Also losing Percival will help, with Zaun on the team, even if they stick with him and Navi rotating in 2010, that should still save approximately $14M in future salary, and keep the team well below the $66M they want to be at.  It should give them the ammunition to hopefully finally pick up a good true closer.  Bartlett, Crawford, Rodriguez, Pena, Longoria, Upton, Zaun, Burrell, and Zobrist.  Rodriguez gives you 20+ homerun power...if Burrell can recapture his form that is a line-up that has 5 batters with 20+ homerun pop, and 3 guys that swing for speed, and bases.  I like that line-up, with a good closer, and the starters coming back again.  That is a core that should be capable of making another run inn 2010.

Archived