• USF Bulls fans join us at The Bulls Pen

It's simple, free and connects you to other South Florida Bulls fans!

• Members do not see this ad, Register

Fennelly: Selvie, USF are moving forward

• Group:  TBP Subscriber III
  • Topic Count:  0
  • Content Count:  5,473
  • Days Won:  13

Selvie, USF are moving forward

By MARTIN FENNELLY | The Tampa Tribune

Published: August 18, 2009

TAMPA - Not that it means anything, but when Jim Leavitt's 2009 South Florida football team went to pose for a team picture at media day/fan fest on Saturday at Raymond James Stadium, it began to rain. Big, strong men kept blinking their eyes. You're right. It probably didn't mean a thing.

You make your own history.

Bulls senior defensive end George Selvie, the most decorated player in USF football history, a future NFL first-rounder(?), just loves history. He recently earned his USF degree and hopes one day to teach history. Standing in a Raymond James locker room before the team snapshot, someone asked the likable Selvie to pick a moment in history he'd like to have witnessed. What about Gettysburg?

"No, I don't want to be where the bullets are flying," he said with a laugh. "I would want to be around to hear Martin Luther King's speech, be there in Washington, D.C., with that big crowd."

Selvie smiled.

"If you don't know your history, how can you move forward?"

Read the rest...

• Group:  Member
  • Content Count:  4,016
  • Days Won:  0

Selvie, USF are moving forward

By MARTIN FENNELLY | The Tampa Tribune

Published: August 18, 2009

TAMPA - Not that it means anything, but when Jim Leavitt's 2009 South Florida football team went to pose for a team picture at media day/fan fest on Saturday at Raymond James Stadium, it began to rain. Big, strong men kept blinking their eyes. You're right. It probably didn't mean a thing.

You make your own history.

Bulls senior defensive end George Selvie, the most decorated player in USF football history, a future NFL first-rounder(?), just loves history. He recently earned his USF degree and hopes one day to teach history. Standing in a Raymond James locker room before the team snapshot, someone asked the likable Selvie to pick a moment in history he'd like to have witnessed. What about Gettysburg?

"No, I don't want to be where the bullets are flying," he said with a laugh. "I would want to be around to hear Martin Luther King's speech, be there in Washington, D.C., with that big crowd."

Selvie smiled.

"If you don't know your history, how can you move forward?"

Read the rest...

When Fennelly's writing a good article about your team you love it...they're fun to read, and always so witty.  When he's bashing it's oh so tough, he's witty, and relentless without much fact, what do you expect he's a columnist, but in the end he's a good writer. 

• Content Count:  12,293

When Fennelly's writing a good article about your team you love it...they're fun to read, and always so witty.  When he's bashing it's oh so tough, he's witty, and relentless without much fact, what do you expect he's a columnist, but in the end he's a good writer. 

dont let brad read that.  he will ban you.

• Group:  Admin
  • Content Count:  97,043
  • Days Won:  469

dont let brad read that.  he will ban you.

LOL.

People don't get banned for commenting positively (or negatively) about people like Fennelly.  Most make their own minds up on how much insult they will take to get a chuckle.  Me, I get my humor from comedians, not columnists.  If I want sports, I read a sports writer. 

• Content Count:  4,016

I am with Brad on this too.  Columnist are really for entertainment value.  Fennelly is entertaining, but like anyone you always hold your breath when you see he wrote a column about your team.  If it's positive it will always be funny, and certainly void of lots of factual content, ditto if it's negative.  For positive articles you laugh it off, negative you get angry.  What can you say.

Look at Orlando and the Sentinel.  The Sentinel loves to paw with UCF fans, and their ignorant obsessions.  One week Leavitt supposedly 'wanted UCF in the BE', then Whitley and others write columns how he's against it.  They talk about the foolish position but fail to rationalize how insignificant USF is in the decision making process.

In the end they managed to stir-up controversy.

BTW, this Fennelly good feeling article for USF means he's out of balance 50/50 on good to bad columns on USF.  Expect something negative shortly to help stir-up the fan base especially after BMM's hoopla dies down.  ;D He'll probably follow-up with a column about Leavitt not allowing media in, how stupid, how short-sighted...or something on racism. :D :D

Just brace for it, it is only a matter of time and is like a right of passage.  But on a plus at least he's writing about us which is a stark change from 10 years ago.

Archived