• USF Bulls fans join us at The Bulls Pen

It's simple, free and connects you to other South Florida Bulls fans!

• Members do not see this ad, Register

Brion Carnes on UGA visit

• Group:  Member
  • Topic Count:  0
  • Content Count:  557
  • Days Won:  0

Brion went to UGA this weekend for a 7 on 7 event. Afterward Brion said it is down to UGA and USF, so much for that "solid commitment"

http://southflorida.scout.com/a.z?s=359&p=2&c=880097

• 3 weeks later...

• Content Count:  14,405
  • Days Won:  13

Scout.com has a possible decommit comment on his profile now and rivals has him as a "soft" verbal. You would think with his style of dual threat he would be a much better match at USF.

• Content Count:  18,470
  • Days Won:  44

That was an article from a couple of weeks ago. He did not decommit.

USF is still #1 for him but he will take some visits:

Manatee High quarterback Brion Carnes felt that kind of sting when ESPN.com reported that he withdrew his commitment from the University of South Florida.

Carnes says he was shocked and worried that USF might pull his scholarship offer. He immediately went into damage repair, calling Bulls offensive coordinator Mike Canales to tell him it was not true.

Carnes verbally committed to the Bulls when he was 16 years old. He didn't have much on the table then. But entering his senior year, he has offers from Georgia, Clemson and West Virginia among others. In July, he was named the outstanding quarterback at the Georgia camp, where he believes the rumors surfaced that he had de-committed.

"I don't know where that started," Carnes said. "I never talked to anyone from ESPN. I was upset and so was my family about the report. I am still committed to USF, but I want to visit other schools. I don't know how many I will visit and I still consider myself a USF commit."

After word got out about Carnes' denial, including published reports, ESPN.com changed him from an uncommitted prospect back to being committed to USF.

Kinnan doesn't like early commitments and sees how it can cause problems, particularly when you are dealing with 16-year-olds. He and the other football coaches at his school have encouraged Carnes and their other top prospect, receiver Ace Sanders, to visit as many schools as possible.

"The biggest difference today is that they are recruiting as early as freshmen and getting commitments," Kinnan said. "It is a trend, and it's like a rising tide. You can't stop it.

"I don't think it's that good because there are a lot of kids who are late developers. I told Brion unless you know exactly where you want to go, don't commit and don't take it lightly."

http://www.heraldtribune.com/article/20090802/ARTICLE/908021052/2050/SPORTS?Title=Opportunities-pitfalls-abound-in-recruiting

• Content Count:  21,297
  • Days Won:  10

Why take a visit to another school if you are so committed.  I get it keep your options open, well he does have that right.

• Content Count:  8,044
  • Days Won:  9

Why take a visit to another school if you are so committed.  I get it keep your options open, well he does have that right.

These camps are a learning experience for the players not just recruiting tools.  PLayers can learn a lot of tips on moving up from high school to the college level, and get some critiques for their playstyle.

• Content Count:  18,470
  • Days Won:  44

Greg Reported today:

-- USF commitment Brion Carnes, the quarterback from Bradenton Manatee, stopped in to watch practice with a pair of teammates. Stopping for a picture, Carnes flashed the Bulls sign with his hand, a good sign for fans worried about his seemingly iffy commitment to USF.

August 08, 2009 | Permalink

Archived