• USF Bulls fans join us at The Bulls Pen

It's simple, free and connects you to other South Florida Bulls fans!

• Members do not see this ad, Register

Star Struck

• Group:  Member
  • Topic Count:  0
  • Content Count:  18,470
  • Days Won:  44

• Content Count:  4,016
  • Days Won:  0

Mama, that was a darn good find of an article, and speaks volumes to Miami's pitfalls.  I loved Lugenbill's comment about some perceived analysts who couldn't tell you if the football was pumped or stuffed.  I am a very ardent follower of athletes in the Bay Area and West Coast of FL and can think of countless times I've seen people jump on a bandwagon so quick only to be distraught by the ultimate success of the player.  A great example to me was Torrey Davis at Armwood.  We're talking about a kid that played on an Armwood defense that was always stacked with speed, and an offense that usually got up on the talent so quick teams were forced to play catch-up.  Davis was this big ole DE that Coach Callahan let free-lance at end and tackle, but for the most part Davis was lazy and stuck to just using his gigantic frame to drive people back into the QB, and sometimes would absolutely mis-read plays. 

He was a five star type kid that went to UF and fizzled out.  I thought Davis was a stud in terms of a physical specimen, but his laziness, and attitude would be a liability especially since he was destined for DT.  He ends up at DT and spent three years of uninspired play at UF, showing rare flashes and now is transfering.  I get the feeling UF got swept up in his hype, and his physical size and not in his production.  He never beat any of Buie's sack records......those were destroyed by Ryne Giddins, who was the real deal and has real skills aside from his size.  Giddins can be lax at times too, but he had such speed, and quickness that he could turn it on in a dime and become unstoppable with real true skills, not just brute force.

Leavitt never offers a kid until he has personally evaluated film.  It has frustrated his staff in the past but he does not rely on hype, nor does he rely on highlight film.  He usually wants to see game film AND the player in person before an offer, which is why USF often does so well finding athletes like a Nate Allen, or a Jerrell Young because they may have come with limited fanfare but Leavitt and crew saw enough tape and live action that they were positive those players had the range, athleticism, and size to play and move to other positions if necessary.

If you rely to much on hype and internet sites you miss the intangibles, you miss a player's ranginess.  He may seem like a dominant tackle because he's 6-7 300lbs, but if you just see highlight tape you might miss lateral movement, and quickness quirks that more clearly illustrate that guy is say to slow to play tackle, and to big to be an effective interior guard.  One or two misses like that and teams are left playing guards at tackle position.  I would say if we've had any detriment is Leavitt evaluates so carefully that you see him pass on some guys, or wait to long to offer others that it drops us behind when it's time to recruit.  Generally if he offers a guy like Popek, or Savala then you know they can play tackle, not a 'think' or a 'maybe' which is good, but we've also been shallow at that position because Leavitt saw so few guys that could honestly give us a competitive advantage at that position or missed those guys a few years ago.  Now let's hope all the recent lands we're shored up there for sometime.

I remember when we recruited OT Frank Davis. He's a perfect illustration of a big time player who nobody ever heard of before Leavitt offered and who ended up playing in the NFL.

Of course, we've had some busts too, like the big OT from Germany, but we didn't keep him too long.

Overall though, I think Leavitt has had a very good eye for finding and developing "undervalued" talent. He's probably had more success doing that than just anybody else in the past ten years. 

• Content Count:  10,380
  • Days Won:  18

Of course, we've had some busts too, like the big OT from Germany, but we didn't keep him too long.

Towe, I remember that kid. He was huge, 6'7" if I recall. More than anything I think he was discovered by that annoying, local sports caster with the gravily voice. I can't recall his name, but his nickname is "The Coach." I think The Coach turned Leavitt onto the kid.

Towe, I remember that kid. He was huge, 6'7" if I recall. More than anything I think he was discovered by that annoying, local sports caster with the gravily voice. I can't recall his name, but his nickname is "The Coach." I think The Coach turned Leavitt onto the kid.

Yes, Rutgers old head coach discovered him in Europe and recommended him to Leavitt. the "Hamburg Hulk" Towe always wore a crumpled golf hat on the sidelines and just seemed out of place on the team. It was never explained why he left without ever playing. 

Archived