• USF Bulls fans join us at The Bulls Pen

It's simple, free and connects you to other South Florida Bulls fans!

• Members do not see this ad, Register

Phil Steele is counting down his top 40

• Group:  Member
  • Topic Count:  0
  • Content Count:  5,241
  • Days Won:  0

You can play a true freshman a small amount and still have them redshirted, so Leavitt throwing BJ in to clean up in 1 game wouldn't have affected his redshirt status

Actually, you can't.  If a player in any sport plays a single play, that counts against their eligibility.

Yes. ONE PLAY.

Im gonna have to look up the old rule book on this one, I was pretty sure a player had a small amount of plays they could be in...

• Replies 20
  • Created
  • Last Reply

• Content Count:  21,353
  • Days Won:  10

My favorite piece about the Steele write up

"USF has lost more games as a favorite than any other team in the NCAA in the last few years"

Now that is a team prearation and coaching issue I would think.

• Content Count:  4,501

My favorite piece about the Steele write up

"USF has lost more games as a favorite than any other team in the NCAA in the last few years"

Now that is a team prearation and coaching issue I would think.

Funny how we can look at things differently.  My first thought was we were a media darling for awhile and somewhat over ranked/estimated.

You can play a true freshman a small amount and still have them redshirted, so Leavitt throwing BJ in to clean up in 1 game wouldn't have affected his redshirt status

Actually, you can't.  If a player in any sport plays a single play, that counts against their eligibility.

Yes. ONE PLAY.

Im gonna have to look up the old rule book on this one, I was pretty sure a player had a small amount of plays they could be in...

No problem... here it is from the NCAA website itself: http://www.ncaa.org/wps/ncaa?ContentID=420

Redshirt Definition

The term "redshirt" is used to describe a student-athlete who does not participate in competition in a sport for an entire academic year. If you do not compete in a sport the entire academic year, you have not used a season of competition. For example, if you are a qualifier, and you attend a four-year college your freshman year, and you practice but do not compete against outside competition, you would still have the next four years to play four seasons of competition.

Each student is allowed no more than four seasons of competition per sport. If you were not a qualifier, you may have fewer seasons of competition available to you. You should know that NCAA rules indicate that any competition, regardless of time, during a season counts as one of your seasons of competition in that sport. It does not matter how long you were involved in a particular competition (for example, one play in a football game, one point in a volleyball match); you will be charged with one season of competition.

Hope this helps...

• Content Count:  254

BJ got the redshirt not because of limited playing time but because of injury before the start of the sixth game.  Word has it that he injured his wrist in the NC State game and since that was the 5th game,  they were able to apply for the med. redshirt.  I don't know if the injury was legit or not but I do know that he was running the scout team with a cast on his wrist after the NC State game.

• Content Count:  2,495
  • Days Won:  1

BJ got the redshirt not because of limited playing time but because of injury before the start of the sixth game.  Word has it that he injured his wrist in the NC State game and since that was the 5th game,  they were able to apply for the med. redshirt.  I don't know if the injury was legit or not but I do know that he was running the scout team with a cast on his wrist after the NC State game.

He was only in the game for the last 3 plays so I guess it is "possible" he injured his wrist there.  Funny, I didn't even remember him playing @ NC State. 

http://www.gousfbulls.com//pdf4/143553.pdf?SPSID=37331&SPID=2981&DB_OEM_ID=7700

• Content Count:  66,091
  • Days Won:  172

leavitt got lucky

it was bonehead to play bj and i said it at the time

• Group:  UCF Knights
  • Content Count:  2,276

Yes. ONE PLAY.

Correct...and the only way you can get that year of eligibility back is if you apply for a medical redshirt (i.e. show the player got injured).

In football, if you play in less than the first 3.5 games of the year (believe the ratio is 30% of a season) and get INJURED, and if you still have a redshirt year available, you can apply for one. (obviously not guaranteed one).

UCF's Top WR last year Rocky Ross broke his collar bone in the first half of I think in UCF's 4th game last year, hence his eligibility to apply for a medical redshirt, and since he played as a true Freshmen, NCAA approved his 5th year for 2009.

K_L ... the NCAA can also grant a 6th year medical redshirt...

and the player can't play after the 5th game... so a player who plays in the 9th and 10th games but gets hurt is not eligible for a medical redshirt...

• 2 weeks later...

• Content Count:  14,411
  • Days Won:  13

Phil has FSU at #34. I don't know if anyone here has bought one of his guides, he puts out a Big East/ACC guide that I picked up last year and it is full of info with several pages on each team in small print, crammed in, almost looks like some kind of coaches game card or Cliff's Notes.

http://philsteele.com/publications/regionals/regionalaccbigea.html

Archived