• USF Bulls fans join us at The Bulls Pen

It's simple, free and connects you to other South Florida Bulls fans!

• Members do not see this ad, Register

T & F updates on USF football signees

• Group:  Member
  • Topic Count:  0
  • Content Count:  18,470
  • Days Won:  44

As I thought, Lindsey Lamar strained his hamstring during the state meet and was unable to continue. Hopefuly, that will be healed by the time he gets here. In the meantime, he can continue to work on recruiting his cousin, Terence Mitchel, who is one of our top targets:   

Kamran Joyer of Wesley Chapel also made it to the top of the podium. And Hillsborough's Terrence Mitchell almost made it, taking second in the long and triple jumps. His team finished fifth, just four points out of second place.

Joyer got the day started right for the area, taking first place in the shot put with a lifetime best of 59 feet, 7.5 inches. Joyer, who is headed to the University of South Florida on a football scholarship, began the season as something of an unknown. But after rising to the top of the state honor roll by midseason, he was the man to beat in the shot put by Friday's championships.

"I knew I had that throw in me - I really thought I would throw 60 feet," said Joyer, who plans to compete in track for the Bulls next season. "Not everyone knew about me this season, but I hope they do now."

Mitchell scored big points for the Terriers, adding a fifth in the 300-meter hurdles to his second-place efforts in his two jumps. But Hillsborough's hope of taking the team title came unraveled when star sprinter Lindsey Lamar strained his hamstring in the 100 prelims. He wound up false starting in the 100 final and, after the hamstring worsened, was unable to run the 200 and 400.

Just last week at regional, Lamar won all three events. With him, the Terriers could have easily taken second place to eventual meet champion St. Thomas Aquinas.

http://www2.tbo.com/content/2009/may/09/sp-wharton-heads-track-medalists/sports-prepsports/

• 3 weeks later...
  • Replies 77
  • Created
  • Last Reply

It doesn't appear that Deerfield Beach is showing up to challenge our Pace boys in the 4 x 100 relay at the Golden South Classic this weekend. Kamran Joyer will be there, as well as USF track signee Mike Vani who is seeded #2 against the top pole vaulter in the nation.

Golden South Classic

May 30, 2009 at The First Academy, Orlando FL

Event 26  Men 4x100 Meter Relay Classic

===============================================================================

School                                                  Seed           

1  Monsignor Pace High School  'A'                        40.54

2  The Matrix  'A'                                        41.50

3  Flagler Palm Coast  'A'                                41.79

4  Belen jesuit  'A'                                      42.26

Event 19  Men Shot Put Classic

Name                        Year School            Seed Mark           

1  Kamran Joyer                  12 wesley chapel, F   59-07.50

2  Austin Gamble                 12 Weston, FL         55-05.50

3  De Andre Johnson              11 miami, FL          54-10.00

4  Chris Lickfield               12 Port Orange, FL    54-03.00

5  Andrew Mattox                 12 New Smyrna Beach   53-02.00

6  Auston Chen                   11 Tampa, FL          51-00.00

7  Dale Kerr                     12 Orlando, FL        50-04.00

8  Aaron Bennett                 11 hinesville, GA     50-00.00

9  Calinsky St. Hubert           11 Fort Lauderdale,   43-00.00

10  Xavier Mackey                 10 Fort Lauderdale,   38-00.00

Event 13  Men Pole Vault SH - Classic

Name                        Year School            Seed Mark           

1  Jack Whitt                    12 Norman, OK         18-00.25

2  Michael Vani                  12 Merritt Island,    16-08.00

3  John Kennedy                  12 Orlando, FL        15-00.00

4  SEAN ZUPPKE                   12 LAKE WORTH, FL     15-00.00

5  Anthony Amodio                11 Pembroke Pines,    14-07.00

6  Jordan Romecki                12 Englewood, FL      14-00.00

7  Chris Rideout                 11 St. Petersburg,    13-07.00

8  Donovan Erbe                  11 st.petersburg, F   13-06.00

9  Kenlee Critcher               11 Palm Coast, FL     13-06.00

10  Daniel Medrano                12 Venice, FL         13-06.00

11  Ashton Boston                 12 Oviedo, FL         12-06.00

http://fl.milesplit.us/articles/23857

You can follow results here:

http://www.dyestat.com/?pg=us2009-Outdoor-Golden-South#winners

Nice story on Mike Vani, FLORIDA TODAY Boys Track and Field Athlete of the Year.

http://www.floridatoday.com/article/20090529/SPORTS07/905290325/1006/NEWS01/Vani+sailed+over+record

Pace won the Boy's 4 x 100 relay  40.65 seconds

Kamran Joyer won the Shot Put  56-02.00

Mike Vani finished 2nd in Pole Vault 16-06.00           

http://www.dyestat.com/?pg=us2009-Outdoor-Golden-South-Results

• Content Count:  7,201
  • Days Won:  3

hope they can play football at d1a level

Too bad you cannot think or post at a grade 1 level.

usf seems like we have a good track team

wow, are you really that dense?  You must know nothing about college football.  Had you of known that, you'd know that Spurrier was recruiting T/F athletes back in the 90's for his football team, many of whom never played football, because he said he could make a great football player out of a great athlete.

These guys are both T/F and Football players.  And weightlifters, and wrestlers, etc...  So if you can play multiple sports in high school, don't you think they may be pretty good for football too if that is what their first sport is?

What is that, I think it is the phone ringing.  Who is it, it's USF calling Smazza asking for their degree back.  It has been rescinded.

Touche!

BTW, this past week Miami-Dade County gave out their post season awards.

Kayvon Webster was voted BEST DEFENSIVE PLAYER, and was runner up to Derrick Hopkins as BEST MALE ATHLETE of the year.

Hopkins left little doubt as to why he was selected the Class 4A-1A Male Athlete of the Year. After excelling on the football field as a dual threat for a Pace team that advanced to the state semifinals, Hopkins returned to the track after an injury to win two state championships, in the 100 and 200 meters.

He also ran on the fastest 400-meter relay team in the nation, which set a state record en route to the Class 2A state title -- a first for Pace's boys' track program. Hopkins, who also won the Boys' Track Athlete of the Year, joins DeMarcus Van Dyke and Lovon Ponder as the only others to win the Overall Athlete of the Year from Pace.

http://www.miamiherald.com/sports/high-schools/broward/story/1071987.html

Class 3A-1A Male Athlete of the Year: Derrick Hopkins, Monsignor Pace (football, track)

Finalists: Kayvon Webster, Monsignor Pace (football, track); Pablo Alvarez, Belen (football, track); Sam Miller, La Salle (basketball, football); Eddie Odio, Miami Christian (basketball, volleyball).

3A-1B Defensive Player of the Year: Kayvon Webster, Pace

http://www.miamiherald.com/sports/high-schools/story/1072071.html

Touche!

BTW, this past week Miami-Dade County gave out their post season awards.

Kayvon Webster was voted BEST DEFENSIVE PLAYER, and was runner up to Derrick Hopkins as BEST MALE ATHLETE of the year.

Hopkins left little doubt as to why he was selected the Class 4A-1A Male Athlete of the Year. After excelling on the football field as a dual threat for a Pace team that advanced to the state semifinals, Hopkins returned to the track after an injury to win two state championships, in the 100 and 200 meters.

He also ran on the fastest 400-meter relay team in the nation, which set a state record en route to the Class 2A state title -- a first for Pace's boys' track program. Hopkins, who also won the Boys' Track Athlete of the Year, joins DeMarcus Van Dyke and Lovon Ponder as the only others to win the Overall Athlete of the Year from Pace.

http://www.miamiherald.com/sports/high-schools/broward/story/1071987.html

Class 3A-1A Male Athlete of the Year: Derrick Hopkins, Monsignor Pace (football, track)

Finalists: Kayvon Webster, Monsignor Pace (football, track); Pablo Alvarez, Belen (football, track); Sam Miller, La Salle (basketball, football); Eddie Odio, Miami Christian (basketball, volleyball).

3A-1B Defensive Player of the Year: Kayvon Webster, Pace

http://www.miamiherald.com/sports/high-schools/story/1072071.html

Great update Mama.

According to smazza, the probably cannot play football though.  LMAO.

Another USF football verbal, Tiger Powell, participates in many other sports and also had a good track season, was just named Lake City Reporter Male Athlete of the Year.

Reporter’ names athletes of the year

doc4a21c74b1fcc2509767893.jpg

Tiger Powell, who also played on the Columbia High basketball team and qualified for region in track, was named Outstanding Offensive Player for the Tigers football team after rushing for 839 yards, receiving for 183 yards and scoring 92 points. JASON MATTHEW WALKER/Lake City Reporter

Tiger Powell adds to star football player resume.

By TIM KIRBY

tkirby@lakecityreporter.com

Published: Sunday, May 31, 2009 6:12 AM EDT

The modern mentality for athletes is stick with one sport and try to be a star. With Columbia High’s Tiger Powell, you have an established star who is willing to try other sports.

Powell’s prowess in football, plus putting himself on the line in other sports combined to make him Lake City Reporter Male Athlete of the Year.

Powell, a junior at CHS, started on the football team for the third year. He also branched out into basketball and participated in four track events at district and qualified for region in the discus.

Powell’s bona fides in football are known throughout the land.

In earning his third Outstanding Offensive Player Award in 2008, Powell rushed for 839 yards on 197 carries. He caught 15 passes for 183 yards and scored 92 points. Powell also completed all three halfback passes he attempted, including one for a 94-yard touchdown.

That followed an all-state sophomore season where Powell rushed for 1,270 yards on 192 carries. As a freshman, Powell rushed for 842 yards on 102 carries.

In three years, Powell has scored 40 touchdowns and 242 points for the Tigers.

Powell’s performance in the spring jamboree may signal an even better season as a senior.

In the first half against Wolfson High, Powell rushed for 150 yards on five carries and had touchdown runs of 71 and 53 yards.

In the second half against 6A Mandarin High, Powell played the workhorse role with

103 yards on 17 carries.

“Last year we were still learning,†Powell said. “This year we know what we are doing. From running to catching, it felt good in all phases of the game. With our senior leadership and the underclassmen picking up what we are doing, we were ready.â€

Powell even tried his hand at punting in the spring.

“Anything I can do to help the team win,†he said.

Powell has a verbal commitment to South Florida, that he says “stands,†but he added he is “still open-minded.â€

“I am proud of both athletes,†CHS head football coach Craig Howard said. “Multi-sport athletes are special these days. Tiger is not only a great athlete, he is a caring, loving person.â€

Howard said Powell’s performance in the jamboree may mean he is hitting his stride.

“Having coached him, it is not all about Tiger,†Howard said. “It is about Columbia High and his teammates. That is what’s awesome to me. He hasn’t reached his pinnacle yet. There are big things in his future.â€

At the end of the season, Powell packed up his football star and showed up for basketball tryouts.

Powell had not played the sport in school since Richardson Middle School.

“I went to the tryouts and I was surprised I made it,†Powell said. “It was like roses in my eye when Coach (Trey) Hosford told me I made it.â€

Powell not only improved, but worked himself into the starting lineup for the Tigers in what was one of the toughest districts in the state.

“I decided to do something new,†Powell said.

“Why not try something fun and different? Coach Hosford is cool. At the Christmas tournament,

we went bowling and played football on the beach.â€

Hosford was equally impressed.

“Coming from a sport where he was ‘the man,’ Tiger was humble enough to come out and be a role player and not the focal point of our team,†Hosford said. “There was no ego, he just wanted to be part of a team. It was the first time I got to coach a player who was a star in another sport and we had a great relationship. He wanted to learn and would ask questions about every little detail.

“He played an important role and there were games where he was a big contributor.â€

Powell spent the spring of 2008 in the weight room as a member of the CHS weightlifting team. He dabbled in track, but this spring the Columbia coaches wanted him to concentrate on track and keep taking off weight he was losing in basketball.

A football running back would be expected to run the sprints, but not Powell. He was a member of the 4x100 relay team, but he also competed in the discus, shot put and hurdles for the first time.

On his first attempt, Powell threw the discus 135 feet. He went on to place third at district and sixth at region.

“You have got to have the technique and it is hard work,†Powell said. “The guys beating me were all seniors and I get another shot next year. I have got to train harder and get into it.â€

Powell entered the shot put at district for the only time during the season. He placed ninth. He was seventh in the 110 meter high hurdles and 14th in the 300 meter low hurdles at district. He ran both events during the season for the first time.

“The hurdles are fun and there is a lot of competition,†Powell said. “The explosiveness it takes should help me in football.â€

Powell plans to continue his sports experimentations, as well as improve on his football skills. It will be a mantra for his class.

“There is never anything wrong with trying something new,†Powell said.

“All my teammates, we grew up together, and we have been waiting for this our senior year. We hope to set an example for the younger guys. The whole school will work hard and it doesn’t matter is it is sports or academics. We are gaining that respect back.â€

Powell praised the play of his teammates in the spring jamboree, and always gives credit to his offensive line. There are others to whom he gives thanks.

“First I say thank the Lord, then my family,†Powell said. “They are behind me whatever I do and they tell me don’t be afraid to try stuff.â€

Powell attended Columbia’s baseball game on Senior Night to show his support for the team. Asked about all the sports he was playing Powell nodded toward the diamond and said, “I’m going to be out there next year.â€

Maybe it was just a joke.

http://www.lakecityreporter.com/articles/2009/05/31/sports/doc4a21c74b1fcc2509767893.txt

Archived