• USF Bulls fans join us at The Bulls Pen

It's simple, free and connects you to other South Florida Bulls fans!

• Members do not see this ad, Register

Rutgirls announces Football Schedule. 1 line sticks out

• Group:  Member
  • Topic Count:  0
  • Content Count:  6,928
  • Days Won:  0

Post: #1RU sets up future schedules with Penn st Miami and Tulane

2nd DIAA game is also official and I am not happy about it but I am glad Pernetti got some good games in the future albeit distant future.

PISCATAWAY, N.J. – Rutgers has finalized its 2009 football schedule in addition to securing future home-and-home series with Penn State and Miami, Director of Intercollegiate Athletics Tim Pernetti announced.

Rutgers will play host to Football Championship Subdivision member Texas Southern October 3 at Rutgers Stadium.

The BIG EAST announced the Rutgers-Cincinnati game will be played on Labor Day to kickoff the 2009 season. The Scarlet Knights and Bearcats are scheduled to meet Monday, September 7 at 4 p.m. on ESPN. The conference also announced the Rutgers-Louisville contest originally scheduled for Saturday, November 28 has been moved to Friday, November 27 with national television coverage on ABC, ESPN or ESPN2.

“We have worked diligently for months to complete our 2009 schedule with a Football Bowl Subdivision team,†said Pernetti. “We were unable to convince any of the institutions with openings to come to Rutgers, including numerous BCS conference opponents. It is vital to our growth, development, and fan experience that we have seven home games in each season.â€

Rutgers also announced a two-game series with Penn State, starting at Rutgers Stadium in 2014. The Scarlet Knights will make the return trip to Penn State in 2015. Rutgers has played Penn State 24 times in school history, with the last meeting in 1995 at Giants Stadium.

A three-game series vs. Tulane has been finalized as Rutgers hosts the Green Wave in 2010 and 2014 at Rutgers Stadium. The Scarlet Knights visit the Green Wave in the Louisiana Superdome in 2012.

Rutgers and Miami have a preliminary agreement for a two-game series beginning in 2018 at Rutgers Stadium. The Scarlet Knights will make the return visit to Dolphins Stadium vs. the Hurricanes in 2019.

Rutgers is also in negotiations for future series with institutions in several Bowl Championship Subdivision conferences. 

• Replies 24
  • Created
  • Last Reply

• Content Count:  6,928

Did you catch that "darkened" line?

Should USF have that same scheduling theory?

seven home games is > six.

• Content Count:  624

We have 7 home games in the 2010 season, thank God because our road schedule is brutal (Florida, Miami, Cincy, WVU, Louisville)

7 Home games also means that season ticket prices will be increased.

• Content Count:  7,993
  • Days Won:  21

I understood when USF took a second 1-AA so we cold get to 6 home games because that's the minimum for most programs to be able to work the finances.  If we already had 6 home games and took another 1-AA to get 7 then I would be pissed.  If we have 6 home games then take a road game with a future return.  Both Clemson and Ole Miss had openings and would have agreed to a 1-1 but it would have had to been on the road this year.

• Content Count:  2,363

<i>Rutgers also announced a two-game series with Penn State, starting at Rutgers Stadium in 2014. The Scarlet Knights will make the return trip to Penn State in 2015.</i>

But which sideline will Schiano be on?

Also, Rutgers' love jones for south Florida is sickening.

• Content Count:  3,307
  • Days Won:  1

Rutgers has hundreds of millions of dollars in debt to pay off to expand their stadium, which only has like 40,000 seats at the moment. They need seven home games right now, but they're going to get some real crappy opponents because Schiano is a wuss and because the conference will only give them three home games every other year.

• Content Count:  209

Rutgers has hundreds of millions of dollars in debt to pay off to expand their stadium, which only has like 40,000 seats at the moment. They need seven home games right now, but they're going to get some real crappy opponents because Schiano is a wuss and because the conference will only give them three home games every other year.

Schiano is not a wuss.  Rutgers contacted several BCS/FBS team about playing this year at Rutgers Stadium, but all said no for different reasons.  Some wanted their own home game or didn't want to travel to NJ.  The list of teams Rutgers approached were UNC (move the game up a year earlier), NC State, Indiana, Iowa, Kansas St., Minnesota, Colorado, Ole Miss (who still talking to RU for future games), UCLA (who also is still talking for future games), ND, UVA., Idaho, Wyoming, and BC.  The BC deal fell through even with the help of ESPN because of the timing for BC.  ND wanted a 6 for 3 deal (similar to Uconn) with no home games at Rutgers.  All Rutgers home games were to be played at Giant Stadium with a 50% gate split... that's not a home game.  RU still has to pay NJSEA fees for use of the Meadowlands (Giant Stadium), so that cuts in to profits.  Also, had not for Navy and Buffalo backing out of the deals with Rutgers this past summer/fall Rutgers would not have been in this position to begin.  Going foward the new Rutgers AD has made it clear that RU will not face such a problem as he is agressively attempting to change the make-up of the future schedule.  Army and Navy both have made it clear they might go in a different direction for future opponent and Rutgers is looking to beat them to the punch.  RU has signed deals with PSU (1 for 1 with the first game at RU) and Miami (1 for 1 with first the game at RU) and a 2 for 1 deal (RU w/ 2 home games) with Tulane.  Look for maybe Ole Miss or UCLA or an ACC to replace Army/Navy on the schedule by '11/'12.  Rutgers is close to deals with them for future games. 

Rutgers futrue FBS games: 

Maryland

UNC

PSU

Miami

Fresno St.

Tulane

Kent St.

FIU

Ohio

Deals close to be finalized (word on the street):

Ole Miss

ACC School (NC State)

UCLA

BC (RU wants deals with all of the old eastern independents)

• Content Count:  3,307
  • Days Won:  1

Thanks for filling me in. Ole Miss would be a good game if that one gets signed. If they schedule BC, that could be a wild card since they fired Jagodzinski but it has potential.

But I'm still convinced that when they're scheduling games, Schiano is more concerned with opening up new recruiting contacts than he is with getting a real quality opponent. FIU? Ohio? Tulane? UCLA, who's been average at best for years? I think the cities and areas those teams play in are more valuable than anything else.

• Content Count:  209

Thanks for filling me in. Ole Miss would be a good game if that one gets signed. If they schedule BC, that could be a wild card since they fired Jagodzinski but it has potential.

But I'm still convinced that when they're scheduling games, Schiano is more concerned with opening up new recruiting contacts than he is with getting a real quality opponent. FIU? Ohio? Tulane? UCLA, who's been average at best for years? I think the cities and areas those teams play in are more valuable than anything else.

There is a method to Schiano's madness, but he still seeks quality opponents.  It just has to fit into he overall plan.  Florida has been a very important recruiting area and that is why FIU and Miami deals were signed.  PSU deal is because Rutgers has been getting several Pa. players of late and about old eastern independent ties.  It was kind of like what Texas did back in 2000 for Chris Sims by playing at Rutgers during his senior year.  I agree with you UCLA has been average at best, but the name on the front of the jersey has history and respect, so goes creditability for playing them.  You could put Miami and FSU in the same boat as UCLA right now.  The BC game is about re-establishing old eastern independent ties.

The way I see teams (most) scheduling for now and the future is to get 1 solid BCS team, a suspect BCS team, one 1AA team, a solid non BCS team and/or an average non BCS team.

• Content Count:  66,077
  • Days Won:  172

nonsense

you need to beat top teams on the road and build a reputation and a program

Archived