• USF Bulls fans join us at The Bulls Pen

It's simple, free and connects you to other South Florida Bulls fans!

• Members do not see this ad, Register

Leavitt Makes Offer to Disch

• Group:  Member
  • Topic Count:  0
  • Content Count:  19,525
  • Days Won:  24

Per Greg, Leavitt has reportedly made an offer to Illiois' Co-DC Dan Disch.  On paper, I'd rather have Tresey, or maybe even Ekeler.  But life isn't played on paper.

http://blogs.tampabay.com/usf/2009/02/report-leavitt.html

• Replies 27
  • Created
  • Last Reply

• Content Count:  19,525
  • Days Won:  24

The most significant story in the coaching search so far, IMHO, is that BCS coaches are getting interviewed.  That wouldn't have happened even two years ago.  Our money is starting to catch up.

• Content Count:  7,993
  • Days Won:  21

He recruits jax which will be huge this season.  Also he recruited Barrington who although signing with us was very positive about Disch.

• Content Count:  2,478
  • Days Won:  0

Hope this dude pans out.

• Content Count:  919
  • Days Won:  0

It seems that a common thread running through all of CJL's candidates is that they are good recruiters.  Seems like he is placing an emphasis on that. 

I know nothing of Disch other than the stats for Illinois' defense, which doesn't impress me.  I'll trust in CJL.

• Content Count:  5,249
  • Days Won:  2

Top Notch Recruiter

i'd still rather have Tresey.

it seems that Leavitt's biggest focus is recruiting.  i can imagine his mentality is that he has built a strong program with good assistants and only needs to plug in top-tier BCS talent to make USF a contender.

i hope he's right...

but right now at this moment i'd prefer a guy that has coached top 10, BCS-conference winning defenses that have led the nation in takeaways and turnover margin over the past couple years...

not to mention he knows the conference, knows how to gameplan for the conference, and knows how to build a defense that can WIN the conference.

Disch may be a top notch recruiter with good pipelines in Jax, but i wouldn't consider Illinois any more impressive of a program than USF over the past 3 years, and i don't tend to associate Illinois with strong defenses...

the Big Televen hasn't impressed me much either, and i don't think coaching a 2nd-tier Big 10 team is the best credential for winning the Big East.  it's a different breed of football between the 2 conferences, plain and simple. 

Tresey knows it and has proven he can win.  what has Disch proven?

• Content Count:  18,470
  • Days Won:  44

He recruits jax which will be huge this season.  Also he recruited Barrington who although signing with us was very positive about Disch.

This year he signed three Florida players who USF offered: OL Andrew Carter, DT Akeem Spence and LB Eric Watts. Carter was one of our top prospects and was having second thoughts about Ill after they lost their OL coach. Who knows, he might not like it there and end up transferring to USF.

http://usf.rivals.com/commitlist.asp?sport=1&school=29&year=2009#page2

• Content Count:  66,091
  • Days Won:  172

illini doesnt have a good defense so i dont like this hire

• Content Count:  18,470
  • Days Won:  44

It seems that a common thread running through all of CJL's candidates is that they are good recruiters.  Seems like he is placing an emphasis on that. 

I know nothing of Disch other than the stats for Illinois' defense, which doesn't impress me.  I'll trust in CJL.

I am not so sure that Tresey was a good recruiter. Some Cincy fans were complaining that he didn't recruit well for them. Being able to recruit in Florida is an important aspect of the job and he may have been found lacking in that respect.

Archived