• USF Bulls fans join us at The Bulls Pen

It's simple, free and connects you to other South Florida Bulls fans!

• Members do not see this ad, Register

Who will be our next verbal?

• Group:  Member
  • Topic Count:  0
  • Content Count:  4,016
  • Days Won:  0

True, Sam looks good too.  But Atkins seems to be a really good athlete.  I don't know if he's having grade issues but I like his measurables, 6-5/225/4.70..

The one guy i'm not in love with is Nicholas.  I think the staff might be doing Stephen a favor on him. 

Atkins is a might fine athlete, he's got better hands than Cedric Hill does that is for sure.  He catches a real nice end zone fade route as he plays more of a flex TE in HS.  Very skilled young man, I'd bet he's more like 210 or so right now, no way is he 225lbs, but he's got good shoulders and plenty of room to add 40lbs.  Him, like Shields, will be a completely different player in 2 years once they add to their body and dimensions.

Ivan Nicholas is a **** good athlete, and will probably end up being a SS instead of LB.  He made 1st team all First Coast (which is a three county area).  See their comments on him below.

Linebacker Ivan Nicholas Lee Sr.

Comment: Finished with 84 tackles and made huge plays (three sacks, two punt blocks, two fumble recoveries and 12 tackles for a loss).

• Replies 48
  • Created
  • Last Reply

• Content Count:  18,470
  • Days Won:  44

I agree, Atkins in underrated.

I'd like to see Jaquez Jenkins given a shot to play QB and add Mike Marry. Mike Lang and Juarez Wynn would also be good if we had room for them. Pinellas is fast becoming BULLS country.

All-Pinellas County football teams

Bob Putnam and Bryan Burns, Times Staff Writers

In Print: Friday, December 19, 2008

Offensive Player of the Year

JaQuez Jenkins, Sr., Lakewood

What Jenkins does with the ball in his hands goes beyond scrambling. The quarterback runs like a gifted running back, throws like Peyton Manning and has the winning instincts of Joe Montana. Jenkins put all of his physical gifts together this season, throwing for 1,873 yards and 22 touchdowns and running for 585 and six more TDs. His best performance came against Largo. Trailing 24-6 in the final seven minutes of regulation, Jenkins engineered the county's greatest comeback this season with three scores to help the Spartans win 32-24. It is the only time Largo has lost a regular-season game in the past two seasons.

Fun fact: One of Jenkins' idols is former Boca Ciega star and Times player of the year Terrell Skinner.

What's next: Jenkins is rehabbing after tearing the medial collateral ligament in his knee in the season finale. He has already committed to USF.

Defensive Player of the Year

Mike Marry, Sr., Largo

Whenever the Packers needed a key stop, they counted on Marry. Rated one of the top linebackers in the nation, Marry is blessed with unprecedented range and versatility. More than just a rugged run stopper, he can drop back deep into the secondary on passing downs. He also was at the nerve center of the county's top defense, which posted four shutouts. Using his cat-like quickness, Marry registered 100 tackles, seven sacks and an interception.

Fun fact: This is the second straight year Marry has been voted the Times' defensive player of the year. Last season he had 122 tackles, four sacks and an interception.

What's next: Marry has more than 30 offers and plans to take recruiting trips to Ole Miss and Duke in January.

First team

Offense

RB Darius Bellamy, Sr., Dunedin: Electrifying back had nearly 1,000 yards rushing.

WR Mike Lang, Sr., Largo: More than 900 yards receiving and nine touchdowns.

Second team

Offense

TE: Gerard Atkins, Sr., Dixie Hollins

Second team

Defense

DL Julius Forte, Sr., Boca Ciega: County's top prospect anchored the line.

DB Juarez Wynn, Sr., Northeast: His skills are coveted by several Division I schools.

http://www.tampabay.com/sports/footballpreps/article942807.ece

Mama you don't want Jacquez playing any QB.  I've seen him back their enough and he is no college QB, not at any level.  Just a tremendous athlete that needs to see the field.  He played some WR too, and ran more than he passed so the offensive side of the ball isn't completely out of the question.  I was shocked when I saw those passing yards in the times, I had heard it was closer to 1100...but he didn't even throw for 46% completion percentage.

With that being said Jacquez Jenkins could equate to one of our most underrated recruits.  He's highly respected but his skill sets are out of this world.

Mama you don't want Jacquez playing any QB.  I've seen him back their enough and he is no college QB, not at any level.  Just a tremendous athlete that needs to see the field.  He played some WR too, and ran more than he passed so the offensive side of the ball isn't completely out of the question.  I was shocked when I saw those passing yards in the times, I had heard it was closer to 1100...but he didn't even throw for 46% completion percentage.

With that being said Jacquez Jenkins could equate to one of our most underrated recruits.  He's highly respected but his skill sets are out of this world.

Well, we don't really know WHO will be our QB coach this coming year. Right now it's Gregory. I'm just concerned about who will be our #3 and am willing to give him a chance. I know he wasn't brought in as a QB and neither was Landi for that matter, but he seems to be our #3 at the moment. Virgin will get his chance to try out for a QB spot, but he's not a dual threat guy like we prefer using in our system. Anyway, it's nice to get players who can be utilized at many different positions.

we do know who are #3 is, and that's BJ Daniels...Landi is and will be ahead of him after the spring until BJ gets enough time under center.  BTW not such a bad thing because Landi has looked very good thus far.

And one piece you typed isn't entirely accurate, Landi was brought in for QB, but with the understanding IF he didn't stick there he would be moved.

Jacquez Jenkins is coming to USF with NO plans to even see, sniff, touch, look, or try at QB.  You do not want this kid throwing the ball, he shovels it like a shot put.  He's a tremendous athlete, 6-2, he runs a 4.4, but can't throw the ball real well.  He did fine in HS, when aside from 2-3 teams everyone is beatable in Pinellas, but that's it.  I think jenkins ends up at FS, or corner.

• Content Count:  1,894

Landi and Daniels have opened everyones eyes, Landi especially, Ive heard nothing but good things from players about him.

we do know who are #3 is, and that's BJ Daniels...Landi is and will be ahead of him after the spring until BJ gets enough time under center.  BTW not such a bad thing because Landi has looked very good thus far.

And one piece you typed isn't entirely accurate, Landi was brought in for QB, but with the understanding IF he didn't stick there he would be moved.

Jacquez Jenkins is coming to USF with NO plans to even see, sniff, touch, look, or try at QB.  You do not want this kid throwing the ball, he shovels it like a shot put.  He's a tremendous athlete, 6-2, he runs a 4.4, but can't throw the ball real well.  He did fine in HS, when aside from 2-3 teams everyone is beatable in Pinellas, but that's it.  I think jenkins ends up at FS, or corner.

When Landi signed VOSS was here. I don't think it was our intention at the time that Landi would end up playing QB at USF. I believe we expected to move him to some other position like we did Gachette.

I know that Landi has proven better than expected as a QB. I'm happy for him and hope he works out. 

• Content Count:  622

When Landi signed VOSS was here. I don't think it was our intention at the time that Landi would end up playing QB at USF. I believe we expected to move him to some other position like we did Gachette.

I know that Landi has proven better than expected as a QB. I'm happy for him and hope he works out. 

I don't think Voss had an impact on any QB decisions. And Leavitt made it clear what he expected out of him - not much.

That is why he left. BJ should still be the future but who knows. Have not seen much of Landi but hopefully sometime during those first 3 cupcakes we will get a chance to see both of them play.

Another player off the board.

Mike Lang commits to UConn.

• Content Count:  1,037

Well, we don't really know WHO will be our QB coach this coming year. Right now it's Gregory. I'm just concerned about who will be our #3 and am willing to give him a chance. I know he wasn't brought in as a QB and neither was Landi for that matter, but he seems to be our #3 at the moment. Virgin will get his chance to try out for a QB spot, but he's not a dual threat guy like we prefer using in our system. Anyway, it's nice to get players who can be utilized at many different positions.

I thought Virgin was offered by FSU as a tight end?  ??? I'm pretty sure he runs in the 4.7 range. That's not very fast but he could improve it and be a legit dual threat. However, I don't think he ends up at QB anyway.

Archived