• USF Bulls fans join us at The Bulls Pen

It's simple, free and connects you to other South Florida Bulls fans!

• Members do not see this ad, Register

ESPN is to USF what Nino Brown was to Pookie

• Group:  Member
  • Topic Count:  0
  • Content Count:  2,213
  • Days Won:  3

ESPN/ABC pretty much owns USF.  They own the crappy bowls USF go to and they own the BE telly deal that gives us UConn v. USF on a sunday night in front of 30K.

I'm not an idiot, I know there is a benefit to being on TV.  And I also know there is a benefit to going to a bowl to scoop $1M.

However, I also believe that ESPN's upcoming "SEC on ESPN" (that is what they wish to have it called folks) megadeal means that BE football will be further relegated to odd times and days. . . . . since ESPN pretty much owns the BE.

As it stands, ESPN/ABC just bought the SEC and the rights to the BCS. . . . . . . . . . what don't they own?  How are those two aquisitions good for the BE given the hype ESPN spits out.  Why wouldn't ESPN, through the use of hype, rig the polls so they get the blue ribbon SEC, Big 12 programs in the BCS (which they own) and relegate their minor league holdings (BE and CUSA) to crappy bowls. . . . . . . THAT ESPN ALSO OWNS.

Assuming that another network would pick up BE football, and further assuming that an espn that controls all college TV rights pretty much can bias the polls (by overhyping an SEC that couldn't even qualify a team for the pizza bowl). . . . . . do you think the net effect espn has on USF (and the BE) is good or bad.

For now, I guess it is OK, but I fear a day that ESPN is behind a consolidation of power in college football that leaves USF (and the BE) out in the cold.  I also realize that a BE that is not within the ESPN suite of programming would get little or no coverage (like the NHL gets now that espn dumped hockey).

If I were BE commish I would at least be talking to FoxSports, Spike, BET and Vs (yeah BET and Spike are out of the Box).

pookie.gif

The friendly folks at ESPN owned New Jack . . . er magicjack St. Pete Bowl extend Pookie (USF) an invitation to participate.

• Content Count:  8,044
  • Days Won:  9

I'm guessing I'm either too young or too old for the pop culture reference or it just doesn't make any sense at all.

• Group:  TBP Subscriber III
  • Content Count:  17,499
  • Days Won:  13

??? ??? ??? ??? ???

• Content Count:  9,038
  • Days Won:  1

I'm only 26, and even I know New Jack City.  C'mon guys, that's a good movie!!!

• Content Count:  3,403
  • Days Won:  0

ESPN already helps rig the polls.  They tell us what the BCS is going to do despite the fact that 2/3rds of it is left to human votes.  Humans seem to watch too much ESPN.

But let's calm down a bit that ESPN is going to rig the BCS.  Most of ESPN wants a playoff at least.

• Content Count:  1,777

I'm guessing I'm either too young or too old for the pop culture reference or it just doesn't make any sense at all.

Dude how old are you? New Jack City is a classic. 

1) They don't own the BCS bowls - just the rights to broadcast them.

2) They don't control the Harris poll (set up by the Harris Corporation), the coaches poll (set up by the Football Coaches Association) or any of the computer bowls.

3) CBS actually gets to pick the first game every week for SEC football through 2023.  Although they only get 1 prime time slot for the SEC.

SEC CBS Deal: http://www.ajc.com/uga/content/sports/uga/stories/2008/08/14/sec_landmark_tv_contract_cbs.html

SEC ESPN Deal: http://www.ajc.com/news/content/sports/stories/2008/08/25/espn_sec_football_contract.html

Big East ESPN Deal: http://www.usatoday.com/sports/college/2006-08-29-big-east-espn_x.htm

Stop being paranoid...  it's not as bad as all that.

• Content Count:  2,213
  • Days Won:  3

1) They don't own the BCS bowls - just the rights to broadcast them.

2) They don't control the Harris poll (set up by the Harris Corporation), the coaches poll (set up by the Football Coaches Association) or any of the computer bowls.

3) CBS actually gets to pick the first game every week for SEC football through 2023.  Although they only get 1 prime time slot for the SEC.

SEC CBS Deal: http://www.ajc.com/uga/content/sports/uga/stories/2008/08/14/sec_landmark_tv_contract_cbs.html

SEC ESPN Deal: http://www.ajc.com/news/content/sports/stories/2008/08/25/espn_sec_football_contract.html

Big East ESPN Deal: http://www.usatoday.com/sports/college/2006-08-29-big-east-espn_x.htm

Stop being paranoid...  it's not as bad as all that.

thanks.  Checked out you link to the SEC deal w/ESPN.  Here's a blurb:

"Will there be more SEC football games on television? Decidedly more. In fact, every conference game will be televised either on CBS or one of the various ESPN platforms. Last season nine conference games and 41 games total did not make it on the air. Schools will get the opportunity to broadcast one non-conference home game per season on a pay-per-view basis."

After reading this, does anyone expect teh coverage of the conferernces to be fair.  Would ESPN prefer the BCS NC game to be 12-0 USF v. 12-0 LSU or 11-1 UF (who already lost to LSU) v. 12-0 LSU.  And if they opt for the all-SEC game, do you think that would affect their punditry.  To promote USF (or any BE team ifor that matter) would be agasinst ESPN's business interest. . . . . even though they only hold "the broadcast rights" (which means advertising $$$$) to BCS games.

BE either needs to be convinced ESPN is the best thing going or needs to be looking for a second option becuase the worldwide sports leader got in bed with the SEC.

• Content Count:  486

I tried to kick... but that **** just be callin' me man, it be callin' me, man... I just got to go to it!

pookie_new-jack-city.jpg

Archived