• USF Bulls fans join us at The Bulls Pen

It's simple, free and connects you to other South Florida Bulls fans!

• Members do not see this ad, Register

A message from USF Athletic Director Doug Woolard

• Group:  Admin
  • Topic Count:  0
  • Content Count:  97,090
  • Days Won:  469

Click on small image below

• Replies 77
  • Created
  • Last Reply

• Group:  Member
  • Content Count:  1,261
  • Days Won:  0

Click on small image below

Thanks. ;D

• Content Count:  65

Just got an email from doug Woolard:

Dear Friends,

I hope this email finds you well.  On behalf of our student athletes, coaches and staff, please accept our best wishes for a joyous holiday season and a happy and healthy new year.

You are receiving this email because you are a supporter of USF Bulls Athletics, or have been in the recent past.   As you may know, we have been in the process of reviewing options for updating the USF Sun Dome Arena either through a major renovation or construction of a new facility.   At this point in our planning, we need to survey the thoughts and opinions of our stakeholders, and would like to ask for your help.    There are many directions we can go, and a variety of seating configurations and amenities from which to choose.   Your input is critical to our ability to set a direction that meets the needs and desires of our fan base.

Over the next few days, you will receive an email and a link to a web-based survey that poses several questions about new options for the Sun Dome.    It should take about ten minutes to complete, and your participation will mean a great deal.    I very much hope you will take a few minutes to give us the benefit of your thoughts.   

In addition to seeking your impressions about the Dome and various planning options, this survey also will ask questions relating to the financial feasibility of suites, club seats, loge boxes, and other premium seating options.   We realize this is a tough time to pose such questions, and ask that you consider them with a longer-term perspective, absent the concerns of our current economic challenges.

I also hope you’ll join us for Big East basketball this year, and help cheer on our men’s and women’s teams as they continue to build a foundation in one of the toughest leagues in America.

Thank you in advance for your assistance with this important planning process.  Go BULLS!

Best regards,

Doug Woolard

Director of Intercollegiate Athletics

University of South Florida

That's very cool of your AD.  As a huge UCF basketball fan let me offer a couple of suggestions that I know we would have liked to see incorporated into our arena.

1.  Student seating on the sidelines.  This should be a priority.  Students on the sideline make your TV games much more entertaining and add significantly to the atmosphere of the game and your appeal to recruits.  Whatever you do, get students in the first 5 to 6 rows on at least one sideline. 

2.  No Club seats in the lowest level.  These seats go unfilled a lot of the time and are a big detractor from game atmosphere.

Do those two things and you'll be set.

• Content Count:  1,390

That's very cool of your AD.  As a huge UCF basketball fan let me offer a couple of suggestions that I know we would have liked to see incorporated into our arena.

1.  Student seating on the sidelines.  This should be a priority.  Students on the sideline make your TV games much more entertaining and add significantly to the atmosphere of the game and your appeal to recruits.  Whatever you do, get students in the first 5 to 6 rows on at least one sideline. 

We've already got this. Students just have to show!

• Content Count:  937

I was there yesterday not much of a crowd but its expected since its during the break.

• Group:  Moderator
  • Content Count:  74,738
  • Days Won:  425

It would probably help sell some more tix too

FYI...USF can improve the atmosphere at USF Hoop Games 1,000% and USF would't have to sell one tix to do that.

All USF needs to do is somehow get 3,000 plus students to every hoop game...which would fill up sections and create a real home-court atmosphere ofr a majority of their games.

LOL .... Thank you, Captain Obvious.  :D

As much as you have been on this board over the years, you haven't seen this addressed time after time?? We are well aware of what it takes to improve the atmosphere because we HAVE had it in the past. It's the getting them there now that has been perplexing  ........but thank you, anyway, for your informed input.  ::)

• Content Count:  4,738

that rendering is nice.

just like any other sport, money is the key.

With this project the pull is in two directions.  One is that the facility needs upgrades to court the boosters with deep pockets, the other is that either an upgrade or building new will cost quite a bit of money. 

The Sun Dome is a sickly building to look at from the outside.  It is an eyesore on a campus that is improving all the time.  But it will be incredibly costly to tear it down and start new. 

Whatever USF decides, an improvement  on the court will help the process.

• Content Count:  4,738

i would bet over the long haul that "money saving" idea was anything but.

the best part was leaving the dome waiting for the doors and someone makes a break for the emergency doors.  it was like getting sucked out of there.

Archived