• USF Bulls fans join us at The Bulls Pen

It's simple, free and connects you to other South Florida Bulls fans!

• Members do not see this ad, Register

UCF to remove GOL and hire UF's DC Charlie Strong as HC?

• Group:  Member
  • Topic Count:  0
  • Content Count:  637
  • Days Won:  0

move this thread if necessary

BREAKING NEWS: Sources not associated with the UCF program have told InsideKnights.com / Scout.com that UCF head football coach George O’Leary will be dismissed by as early as Friday, and the Knights are in discussions with University of Florida defensive coordinator Charlie Strong about their soon to be head coaching vacancy.

Strong has been with the Gators since the 2003 season, and was one of the only coaches retained when the school decided to part ways with Ron Zook in the 2004 season. Strong was technically the second African-American head coach in SEC history as he served as the Gators interim coach in the 2004 Peach Bowl, which resulted in a 27-10 loss to the Miami Hurricanes.

Strong attended the University of Central Arkansas from 1980-1983, then served as a graduate assistant at Florida in 1983. He later served as a graduate assistant at Texas A&M in 1985. His first full-time coaching job was at Southern Illinois in 1986, where he coached wide receivers. He later assumed defensive coaching duties at Florida and Notre Dame. Strong’s first big break came as defensive coordinator at the University of South Carolina, making him the first African-American coordinator in SEC history.

If Strong and the Knights eventually come to an agreement, UCF will have a dynamic recruiter and one of the best defensive minds in the country, as Strong’s Gators currently have the ninth-ranked defense in the nation and the fifth-best scoring defense in the country despite playing in the ultra-competitive SEC.

Strong is widely regarded as a recruiting expert, plucking no fewer than 15 current Gators out of the Central Florida area. With his contacts all over the southeast and some of the finest facilities in the nation, Strong could take the Knights football program to previously unseen heights. At the very least, Strong will add credibility to a program who is trying to recover from scandal stemming from the Ereck Plancher tragedy and the latest incident involving freshman running back Brandon Davis.

http://ucf.scout.com/2/820278.html

I don't normally care to discuss UCiF here, but this is a major move for a number of reasons. First off, looks like UF is getting gouged this offseason and secondly, looks like UCF may have gotten a great recruiter and an awesome defensive mind. This could have pretty bad implications for us with regards to recruiting.

UCF appears to be making strides with their poor personnel, will we do anything?

• Replies 26
  • Created
  • Last Reply

• Content Count:  667

I don't normally care to discuss UCiF here, but this is a major move for a number of reasons. First off, looks like UF is getting gouged this offseason and secondly, looks like UCF may have gotten a great recruiter and an awesome defensive mind. This could have pretty bad implications for us with regards to recruiting.

UCF appears to be making strides with their poor personnel, will we do anything?

Good move for them.  They saw where they were deficient and they addressed the situation.  I only hope we do the same.  Charlie Strong is a good fit for the program.  Good recruiting ties and a good defensive mind.

• Content Count:  879

I'd like to know how they could actually pay O'Liar his buyout AND a decent salary to Strong....I have my doubts about this.

• Content Count:  637

Allegedly they are negotiating to only have to pay him about half of his max buyout (i.e. ~2.6 million).

• Content Count:  3,692
  • Days Won:  2

Good for UCF if this is true.

But i would think Strong would wait for a BCS job to open up.  Why go to a school that can only acheive the Liberty Bowl each year?  Seems odd.

If he goes to UCF and has success, he will be gone quickly.  If he fails, then he screws himself out of a BCS gig.  I think he waits for a BCS gig like the OC Mullen got.

I could be wrong.

• Content Count:  6,557
  • Days Won:  3

Good for UCF if this is true.

But i would think Strong would wait for a BCS job to open up.  Why go to a school that can only acheive the Liberty Bowl each year?  Seems odd.

If he goes to UCF and has success, he will be gone quickly.  If he fails, then he screws himself out of a BCS gig.  I think he waits for a BCS gig like the OC Mullen got.

I could be wrong.

The problem is not with the coaching at UCF.  The problem is UCF.  You can dress a turd in a suit, but it is still a turd.  The administration of that school has issues.  You can only sweet talk yourself into so much, at some point there has to be performance.  The AA will soon be broke.   Charlie Strong would not do any better the O'liar.

• Content Count:  13,697
  • Days Won:  45

I would think he would look harder at a job like Auburn.  

• Content Count:  66,091
  • Days Won:  172

move this thread if necessary

BREAKING NEWS: Sources not associated with the UCF program have told InsideKnights.com / Scout.com that UCF head football coach George O’Leary will be dismissed by as early as Friday, and the Knights are in discussions with University of Florida defensive coordinator Charlie Strong about their soon to be head coaching vacancy.

Strong has been with the Gators since the 2003 season, and was one of the only coaches retained when the school decided to part ways with Ron Zook in the 2004 season. Strong was technically the second African-American head coach in SEC history as he served as the Gators interim coach in the 2004 Peach Bowl, which resulted in a 27-10 loss to the Miami Hurricanes.

Strong attended the University of Central Arkansas from 1980-1983, then served as a graduate assistant at Florida in 1983. He later served as a graduate assistant at Texas A&M in 1985. His first full-time coaching job was at Southern Illinois in 1986, where he coached wide receivers. He later assumed defensive coaching duties at Florida and Notre Dame. Strong’s first big break came as defensive coordinator at the University of South Carolina, making him the first African-American coordinator in SEC history.

If Strong and the Knights eventually come to an agreement, UCF will have a dynamic recruiter and one of the best defensive minds in the country, as Strong’s Gators currently have the ninth-ranked defense in the nation and the fifth-best scoring defense in the country despite playing in the ultra-competitive SEC.

Strong is widely regarded as a recruiting expert, plucking no fewer than 15 current Gators out of the Central Florida area. With his contacts all over the southeast and some of the finest facilities in the nation, Strong could take the Knights football program to previously unseen heights. At the very least, Strong will add credibility to a program who is trying to recover from scandal stemming from the Ereck Plancher tragedy and the latest incident involving freshman running back Brandon Davis.

strong could do better

what a bad decision on his part

• Content Count:  684

Hopefully our ties to the BCS will be a major point in recruiting, sure they might have a new great recruiter, but who wants to go UCF with slim chances of National title

Archived