• USF Bulls fans join us at The Bulls Pen

It's simple, free and connects you to other South Florida Bulls fans!

• Members do not see this ad, Register

Lack of African-American Coaches

Stier

• Group:  Member
  • Topic Count:  0
  • Content Count:  1,387
  • Days Won:  1

Anyone got a take on this topic? I am just curious as to what people think about this topic. Does the media make it a bigger deal than it is or should be?

• Replies 27
  • Created
  • Last Reply

• Content Count:  2,363
  • Days Won:  0

I think it's a problem, but I think it's like complaining about college's ability to educate while K-12 is messed up. If you don't have black assistants and coordinators, there's no pool to draw from for potential black head coaches.

I was actually going to say lack of black coaches instead of african-american coaches, but didn't want to ruffle any feathers.

• Content Count:  8,722
  • Days Won:  23

I think it's a problem, but I think it's like complaining about college's ability to educate while K-12 is messed up. If you don't have black assistants and coordinators, there's no pool to draw from for potential black head coaches.

there are plenty of assistants and coordinators and it is a problem. Tenn didn't even consider guys like charlie strong, etc.

WVU was blatant the way they handled our own Calvin Magee. Calvin called that OU Fiesta bowl win, not Stewart and yet they hired their good ole boy TE coach over the OC who ran their top 5 offense the previous 3 years. There was someone in their department that even told him to his face that he would never get the job because of his race.

• Content Count:  7,201
  • Days Won:  3

I was actually going to say lack of black coaches instead of african-american coaches, but didn't want to ruffle any feathers.

didn't want to ruffle feathers, but your sig has a picture of buckwheat?

• Group:  TBP Subscriber III
  • Content Count:  37,676
  • Days Won:  29

Since this subject will be moved to The Sports Board ... it will eventual end up being on the Mad Cow.

By the way, how many generations from Africa do you need to be to be considered African-American ? Or is it like other ___-Americans, just need to have history ?

didn't want to ruffle feathers, but your sig has a picture of buckwheat?

Why would a picture of Buckwheat ruffle feathers?

• Content Count:  2,363
  • Days Won:  0

Since this subject will be moved to The Sports Board ... it will eventual end up being on the Mad Cow.

By the way, how many generations from Africa do you need to be to be considered African-American ? Or is it like other ___-Americans, just need to have history ?

While typically synonymous with "black" in the US, African-American more specifically is usually used to refer specifically to black Americans who are descendents of African slaves and as such, have been here for generation. Ironically, many folks who are only a generation or two removed from Africa want no part of the "African American" title.

I typically use black because it's more all-encompassing (includes black Caribbean people, Africans, people of African descent who don't live in or aren't from America, etc.) but African American doesn't offend me in the slightest.

• Content Count:  5,982
  • Days Won:  2

there are plenty of assistants and coordinators and it is a problem. Tenn didn't even consider guys like charlie strong, etc.

I don't think that is an accurate statement. I think the thin pool of quality black assistants and coordinators is part of the reason why so few get a chance at a decent to good head coaching job. Another is college football is still run by the "Good Ole Boy" system if you know what I mean. A lot of the College Presidents and Big Money Boosters that run College FB just don't want to hire someone of color or even put them in a position to be hired for a head job at a quailty University. I'm not saying it is neccessary a racist situation, but you know if you don't act like me, look like me, or talk like me then...

It is more to being a Head FB Coach then just what we see happening on the field. There is a lot that goes on behind the scene that most just don't know about or only very little. Like I said money and the power that it brings decides the crowd that you hang with or want you hanging with them. There is a system in place and it ain't changing anytime soon. It doesn't matter have many times it gets mention or brought up by the media, as long as FB is being runned by powerful people that believe in the samething nothing will change.

• Group:  TBP Subscriber III
  • Content Count:  37,676
  • Days Won:  29

While typically synonymous with "black" in the US, African-American more specifically is usually used to refer specifically to black Americans who are descendents of African slaves and as such, have been here for generation. Ironically, many folks who are only a generation or two removed from Africa want no part of the "African American" title.

I typically use black because it's more all-encompassing (includes black Caribbean people, Africans, people of African descent who don't live in or aren't from America, etc.) but African American doesn't offend me in the slightest.

My daughter's great, great grandmother was an African slave . . .

Archived