• USF Bulls fans join us at The Bulls Pen

It's simple, free and connects you to other South Florida Bulls fans!

• Members do not see this ad, Register

Rosetta Stone

Economics_Nerd82

• Group:  Member
  • Topic Count:  0
  • Content Count:  1,981
  • Days Won:  0

Rosetta Stone is a very comprehensive program. You can even perfect your pronunciation with the speech recognition feature. I "borrowed" a copy(don't have it anymore) with all levels for over 26 Languages, and I did a few lessons and now I can use random words in Portuguese, German, and Italian. You can also use the online demo to see how you like the program. The new version will set you back $549 for all three levels, or you can get a 6 month online subscription for $199.

Another great program that you can get for free from the library, at least in Hillsborough, is the Pimsleur language program. It sounds silly learning from CDs but it actually works. The French I knew before coming here came mostly from the 30 30min lessons (out of 90) I listened to. I did only 1/3 of the program and my base was solid, so if you can commit to the whole 90 lessons you would be more than able to hold your own in a conversation.

The key to all these programs is patience, and a high level of commitment.  Go with the free program first, and if you can stick it for at least a month, then spend the money on Rosetta.

• Replies 23
  • Created
  • Last Reply

• Content Count:  2,019
  • Days Won:  2

I have Rosetta Stone Italian, level 1,2,3

I'm part way through level 1 and it is worth every penny already.

I learned more in the first 3 or 4 hours of this software than 4 years of spanish in high school... seriously.

So you learned more Italian in 4 hours of Rosetta Stone than you did in 4 years of Spanish in high school?

;D

That is because HS foreign language classes are a joke.  Even college ones.  I had a rommie who took 4 years of Spanish in HS and was in his 2nd or 3rd semester of it in College and still couldnt understand a word of spanish people were speaking at WalMart because, like all languages they teach you the "proper" way of speaking it, not they way it is actually spoken.

• Content Count:  1,981

I learned more in the first 3 or 4 hours of this software than 4 years of spanish in high school... seriously.

So you learned more Italian in 4 hours of Rosetta Stone than you did in 4 years of Spanish in high school?

;D

That is because HS foreign language classes are a joke.  Even college ones.  I had a rommie who took 4 years of Spanish in HS and was in his 2nd or 3rd semester of it in College and still couldnt understand a word of spanish people were speaking at WalMart because, like all languages they teach you the "proper" way of speaking it, not they way it is actually spoken.

I think the main problem is that in the States foreign languages are taught in H.S., as opposed to elementary school. The more you wait to learn a language the harder it is. There was a kid in the train the other day that was speaking French, English, and was learning Spanish already, and both his parents were native French speakers. That kid wouldn't have stood a chance with our crappy Foreign Language education system.

• Content Count:  1,370

;D

I think the main problem is that in the States foreign languages are taught in H.S., as opposed to elementary school. The more you wait to learn a language the harder it is. There was a kid in the train the other day that was speaking French, English, and was learning Spanish already, and both his parents were native French speakers. That kid wouldn't have stood a chance with our crappy Foreign Language education system.

Couldn't have said it better myself. For some reason, our education dept. has never gotten the memo that 95% of one's linguistics is learned within the first 12 years. Since it is typically used for adults, that's why Rosetta Stone et al. is so comprehensive and expensive. Although there's much more of a necessity in Europe for multi-lingual citizens, they've gotten it right by teaching the various languages when the kids are ages 5 through 10.

Archived