• USF Bulls fans join us at The Bulls Pen

It's simple, free and connects you to other South Florida Bulls fans!

• Members do not see this ad, Register

Regarding USF's demeanor on offense

• Group:  Member
  • Topic Count:  0
  • Content Count:  2,661
  • Days Won:  0

Do you get the feeling Grothe's been told not to scramble so much? I can think of a couple plays last night where Grothe had acres to run, but stood there and stood there and stood there, waiting for a downfield throw that wasn't there.

Also, do you get the feeling is USF's offense is better when it's freelancing? Two plays I can think of were Grothe's highlight-reel 38-yard scramble, and a completion Grothe made to Hester on the slant after scrambling around a bit. The receiver didn't drop that ball, did he? I don't think that's a coincidence.

I was watching a piece on Brett Favre (with ESPN, it's impossible not to) and some coach in Green Bay made the brilliant observation that Brett's dumb plays and his genius plays looked exactly the same at the start. The Packers' coaches figured out that reining in Favre too much was counterproductive. I think we're going completely the other direction with that. An offense that looked loose and confident early in the season now looks over-scripted and unsure of itself.

Don't get me wrong, I agree with the decision to force the interior run game a bit with Williams and Samuels. You have to do that to an extent. But I think there's some over-coaching going with the offense.

• Group:  Bull Backers
  • Content Count:  2,527

Do you get the feeling Grothe's been told not to scramble so much? I can think of a couple plays last night where Grothe had acres to run, but stood there and stood there and stood there, waiting for a downfield throw that wasn't there.

Also, do you get the feeling is USF's offense is better when it's freelancing? Two plays I can think of were Grothe's highlight-reel 38-yard scramble, and a completion Grothe made to Hester on the slant after scrambling around a bit. The receiver didn't drop that ball, did he? I don't think that's a coincidence.

I was watching a piece on Brett Favre (with ESPN, it's impossible not to) and some coach in Green Bay made the brilliant observation that Brett's dumb plays and his genius plays looked exactly the same at the start. The Packers' coaches figured out that reining in Favre too much was counterproductive. I think we're going completely the other direction with that. [glow=red,2,300]An offense that looked loose and confident .[/glow]early in the season now looks over-scripted and unsure of tself

Don't get me wrong, I agree with the decision to force the interior run game a bit with Williams and Samuels. You have to do that to an extent. But I think there's some over-coaching going with the offense.

Other than the first half @ NCST & a weak Cuse team,. I haven't seen it?

• Content Count:  348

Absolutely 100%.  I used to complain about howmuch we Ran Grothe and that it made us 1 dimensional.  98% of the time anyone whos eve seen us knew the Grothe keep was coming.  Last night we needed him to run and he had all day to do it but he wasn't, it was over coaching.

Last night the Williams run wasn't working, but we did it over and over and over and over.

• Content Count:  720

Before the start of the cuse game the commentators talked about how Gregory said that he had gotten away from running Grothe and he was going to start giving Grothe 20 runs a game. Guess it worked too well so he decided to abandon that game plan...... :-\

• Content Count:  2,052

Gary, I think you are 100% correct in your assumption. It is the over coaching of the bad that is being taught. In a way, Grothe is like Favre, only with a much weaker arm. But when he scrambles and gets out of trouble, he seems to be more productive. Gregory I feel gets too excited or confused,(really to him what's the difference?) and loses perspective to adjust. Three running plays in a row down in the red zone while driving for a TD is stupidity. Where is the bootleg? Where is the pass to the tight end. It sure works for other teams. I guess Gregory feels that establishing something is better than scoring. But in concerns with Grothe, man you're right on.  Reaper

• Content Count:  2,661

Three running plays in a row down in the red zone while driving for a TD is stupidity. Where is the bootleg?

Where was the THREAT of the bootleg?

I'm struggling to think of one scripted run play for Grothe, other than the 3rd-and-15 QB draw that came up short. (Which, despite criticism here, wasn't that bad a call; it was four-down territory, and the play would have gotten at least 10 if a Cincy defender hadn't made an ankle tackle.)

After awhile, Cincinnati's defense stopped following Grothe after the handoff, since we never once called for him to keep the ball on that type of play. They ignored the QB draw fake and left Grothe uncovered. Imagine that.

• Content Count:  6,827
  • Days Won:  22

Gary

I said after the Pitt game and I saw it again during this game.

USF's offense looks passive. Our RBs most of the time get to the line too late or if there is no hole they just stop which makes it even easier to stop.

Our WRs give up on patterns, drop balls. We hardly ever throw deep balls

They take too long to call the plays when they are behind,no URGENCY even in 3rd or 4rth quarter.

After being stopped they show the sidelines and there you see Grothe, sitting by himself just looking bored.

Sorry but he is SUPPOSE to be the leader of the offense why is he not getting in people's faces, firing them on.

I look at them and it looks like they are just going thru the motion. If thats the case put freshmen in that want to play and show that they want to play.

• Content Count:  260

Gary

I said after the Pitt game and I saw it again during this game.

USF's offense looks passive. Our RBs most of the time get to the line too late or if there is no hole they just stop which makes it even easier to stop.

Our WRs give up on patterns, drop balls. We hardly ever throw deep balls

They take too long to call the plays when they are behind,no URGENCY even in 3rd or 4rth quarter.

After being stopped they show the sidelines and there you see Grothe, sitting by himself just looking bored.

Sorry but he is SUPPOSE to be the leader of the offense why is he not getting in people's faces, firing them on.

I look at them and it looks like they are just going thru the motion. If thats the case put freshmen in that want to play and show that they want to play.

Agree 100%

• Content Count:  1,113
  • Days Won:  1

I disagree on Grothe not caring he does for sure.  But..........when you are given a sow's ear and asked to make a "silk purse" what do you expect?  The change needs to come for the OC.  It's the play calling and lack of execution on everyone's part.  Mainly though the playcalling.  Start the change there and they will get a fire in their belly because they have someone to play for.  Not some guy sitting in a booth ( the ivory tower) that seems untouchable.  Look at CJL and the other coaches and some of the greats...Joe Pa (until this season due to hip) and Bowden, OSU, you see the coaches down with the team.  Gregory is too good to get down with the team. Start the change there and watch that killer instinct come back so they can finally get out from under that oppression.

Archived