• USF Bulls fans join us at The Bulls Pen

It's simple, free and connects you to other South Florida Bulls fans!

• Members do not see this ad, Register

When will mediocrity finally be unacceptable-Fair Questions

• Group:  Member
  • Topic Count:  0
  • Content Count:  1,777
  • Days Won:  0

Mediocrity will continue until it becomes unacceptable to the majority. The results of mediocrity in college football translates into  less television spots, less advertisement, poorer recruitment and less attendance at games. All of these factor to lower revenues.  For now USF is okay but when the end of the attendance report comes out the numbers may be lower than last year. Will the same number of season tickets be sold next year?

Last year was an anomaly and USF got a taste of the "Big Time". Like most things desirable once you get a taste you will want it again and again with increasing portions

• Content Count:  959

USF = 9-4 EVERY YEAR ????

• Content Count:  8

I agree that head coaches have to take responsibility for every aspect of the team. However, CJL did build this entire program from scratch and provides the type of fire on which young college athletes thrive.

He has also produced far too much in a very small amount of time to be considered for firing for at least another two years... as long as Gregory is gone before the start of next season.

If CJL wastes the senior season of the best offensive player he's ever coached at USF — I liked Andre a lot, but I think Grothe has been even more important to the team than he was, but that's an argument for a different threat — by allowing the plays to be called by a man that seems unable (unwilling?) to adjust to defenses, than I believe even the untouchable Leavitt deserves the axe.

• Content Count:  13,697
  • Days Won:  45

My theory on this is that a portion of the fan base (It seems especially prevalent in those who attended USF before we had football) is still just thrilled that USF has a Div 1 football team that is in a BCS conference.  You know the just happy to be here type of attitude since they didn't even have a football team when they attended school and it was a pipe dream at best.  Most other BCS conference contenders (conference title contenders) fans bases don't look down on criticism especially when people actually back it up rather than just saying so and so sucks but for some reason a portion of our fan base who resides here thinks anyone associated with the program is above any criticism what so ever.  To adapt a quote from a person wiser than anyone here when it comes to big time football (which we are at this point):

"THIS IS DIVISION ONE FOOTBALL!!!! ITS THE BIG EAST!!!! IT AIN'T INTRAMURALS"

If you want this programs ascent to continue the scrutiny from the fan base, media, and other fan bases will only grow by the year.  Basically if you can't stand the heat get outta the kitchen.  Now don't gent me wrong im not for mindless bashing of the players or coaches but if someone is actually posting thought out arguments (if you agree with them or not) there is nothing wrong with that and if you can't take it maybe sports talk forums aren't a place for you.  I do however suggest the Little League World Series which comes around at the end of summer every year,Im sure there is a forum somewhere for that.    

Also anyone who is trying to call for Grothe to be benched or CJL to be fired is not thinking clearly because there is no feasible alternative that would provide better results at this point and time. 

• Content Count:  37

I understand the point, but there are many teams that would kill for that record.

• Content Count:  1,254

I'm thinking CJL will never bring us to a 10 win season (while in a BCS conference).

• Content Count:  4,738

I understand the point, but there are many teams that would kill for that record.

Nobody cares about those teams

• Content Count:  116

I'll give 2-3 more years. There are consistent "let-downs"  and playing down to the level of competition. I'm sorry, but I have to point the finger at the coaching staff. Not to mention "bonehead" penalties - (see holding penalty on a FG) and poor fundametants at times.

• Content Count:  6,348
  • Days Won:  8

Leavitt has built the team from scratch to national prominence.  He can stay as long as he chooses.  As young as the program is it is still a work in progress. However, he is getting a LOT of money to produce, he should held accountable and taken to task when we fall short of expectations.

How about starting with an offense that produces 8 total rushing yards and 6 sacks?  14 penalties. 

We are looking at a probable 7-5 season.  A collapse like that needs to be addressed.

Archived