• USF Bulls fans join us at The Bulls Pen

It's simple, free and connects you to other South Florida Bulls fans!

• Members do not see this ad, Register

Bulls Get 15th Commit

• Group:  Member
  • Topic Count:  0
  • Content Count:  4,016
  • Days Won:  0

When they said they want to run the spread offense, they really meant it huh?  I can envision looking at the field with no offensive linemen and all WRs/RBs.

This is starting to remind me of my fraternity's flag football team...

Now if we only had a coach that could find productive routes for these guys.  There's no reason our offense shouldn't look like Arizona's (NFL)...BUT BETTER as we have a mobile QB...

Huh?  Look at the roster much?  Returning linemen include- Hermann, Sims, Warren (all three have seen significant time this year), Estenor, Popek, Edwards, Tolley, McCaskill, Garvin, McGowan, and expect Jatavious Jackson to eventually move over as well.  That's 12 scholarship OL returning plus Hines as a good looking walk-on.  Verbally committed OL- McGhin, Kamran Joyer, and Kendall Kelly. 

That's 17 offensive lineman at a minimum that will probably be rostered next year, and there is a good bet there is an OT JUCO soon to follow.  By most 1-A standards that's nearly to many scholarship OL on roster.  Most teams stop around 13-15 for fear of not giving everyone enough reps to all. 

Hmmmm.  I'll leave your receiver coach crack alone but the receiver production has picked up exponentially since Canales has arrived.

• Replies 35
  • Created
  • Last Reply

• Content Count:  573

When they said they want to run the spread offense, they really meant it huh?  I can envision looking at the field with no offensive linemen and all WRs/RBs.

Now if we only had a coach that could find productive routes for these guys.  There's no reason our offense shouldn't look like Arizona's (NFL)...BUT BETTER as we have a mobile QB...

Huh?  Look at the roster much?  Returning linemen include- Hermann, Sims, Warren (all three have seen significant time this year), Estenor, Popek, Edwards, Tolley, McCaskill, Garvin, McGowan, and expect Jatavious Jackson to eventually move over as well.  That's 12 scholarship OL returning plus Hines as a good looking walk-on.  Verbally committed OL- McGhin, Kamran Joyer, and Kendall Kelly. 

That's 17 offensive lineman at a minimum that will probably be rostered next year, and there is a good bet there is an OT JUCO soon to follow.  By most 1-A standards that's nearly to many scholarship OL on roster.  Most teams stop around 13-15 for fear of not giving everyone enough reps to all. 

Hmmmm.  I'll leave your receiver coach crack alone but the receiver production has picked up exponentially since Canales has arrived.

I agree that we will have a lot OL next year but your math is wrong.  I count 14 on scholarship (so far, including the 3 commits) and at least one walk on.  Although we could have someone transfer out, you never know.

The problem for me is the quality not the quantity.  Yes we will have 3 guys with experience but thats it.  I know that out of the others, 1 or 2 will emerge as solid replacements but the rest will probably not be very reliable due to their inexperience.  IMO we will have a really good group of starters but with thin depth behind them, like usual.

• Content Count:  2,523

I agree that we will have a lot OL next year but your math is wrong.  I count 14 on scholarship (so far, including the 3 commits) and at least one walk on.  Although we could have someone transfer out, you never know.

The problem for me is the quality not the quantity.  Yes we will have 3 guys with experience but thats it.  I know that out of the others, 1 or 2 will emerge as solid replacements but the rest will probably not be very reliable due to their inexperience.  IMO we will have a really good group of starters but with thin depth behind them, like usual.

Exactly KingBull. 

As for the WR Coach crack, it was more a jab at Gregory for not running a simple slant to counter all the friggin blitzing up the middle teams seem to do when they shut us down...

• Content Count:  4,016

You are right, but I expect as much as 17 as they're is a top notch JUCO leaning our way, and a solid in-state guy leaning our way.  Both are expected to cast their lots for the Bulls.

You can debate about quality, but I think there is sufficient quality on the roster they lack experience but they're quality.  Hermann is an excellent OL, and Warren is proving quite adept.  I've seen Kamran Joyer play and he's a mauler, quality OG of top flight caliber.  The coaches believe Estenor could be the best of the bunch one day, and oh Jatavious Jackson only signed with FSU.

The point is Ruger cracked that we're not signing any OL, and further that our staff only concentrates on skill position guys.  The point is USF only needs to worry about quality, and not quantity, at OL because as you pointed out they already have quantity which contradicted Ruger's point.  He can claim we don't have high quantity in quality but he doesn't know that, just guessing at it, since many have yet to see meaningful playing experience.

The stable of OL is looking very fine to me.  I remember years when USF struggled to have 10 on roster, and now they've got about 15-17 between walk-ons and frosh that are capable of giving reps.  The world has changed mightily for USF.

• Content Count:  2,523

Maybe bc I realize that a number of those will end up on defense and not the OL so it's not as "solid" as you may think.  Then when you add in graduation/injury, we're not exactly stocked for a LONG HAUL at OL.  Especially if you're bringing in JUCOs which are quick fixes.

Contrast that with WR's where we lose few and they GROW ON TREES IN THIS STATE!  And in this scheme, we don't utilize their talent to the max anyway for a number of reasons you've heard me harp on.

Don't look now, but the most glaring area may very well be LB.  We've got some guys for sure, but any true "studs" who are locks to do what we need which is be stout against the run?  QT is quite a prospect, but he's not going to be a run stopper like McKenzie.

• Content Count:  111

I agree with Ruger on the need for LB's with brouce and T-Mac both leaving. Kion only has one more year and I given CR's issues I don't want to be forced to count on him. SJ has looked good but not to the level of T'Mac who's I think the best linebacker we've had at USF the last two years. Did anyone notice that are run D stunk at the end of the Pitt game where CR was no where to be found.  Alonzo McQueen might be able to step up as well but even if that happens we have KW, AM and CR then nothing.

We really need another T-Mac to transfer in to give us someone until some of these young guys can fully develop, or at least another solid guy like Kion who is a top backup or possible starter.

• Content Count:  1,894

We have quality wr's for days. I'm looking for the big guys to establish this passing game. We have some decent young ol prospects but what about DL...DT..needs to be adressed for the future. We need some monsters up front there. We need another Josh Julmiste at DE...we need to stack the defensive side of ball as well. We need true depth.

I'm extremely happy that Theliard committed to us, along with Green, and I'm sure you all will too once you see what they can do.  They are true playmakers and give us the size that we currently lack.  They will be able to grab jump balls over most corners which is something we lack.  I knew that we would pick up at least 2 WRs this year because we only signed one last year, we lose 2 starters this year and some next year. This is a good thing. However, we really could use a another high quality OL signee this year.  Perhaps the JUCO that Bullpride is referring to?

Bullpride, I also like Joyer, but only if he keeps his weight down, which i think the coaches will be able to do.  At this point I like Kelly better, however, he is less committed than Joyer.  I really we keep em both.

I agree with Ruger on the need for LB's with brouce and T-Mac both leaving. Kion only has one more year and I given CR's issues I don't want to be forced to count on him. SJ has looked good but not to the level of T'Mac who's I think the best linebacker we've had at USF the last two years. Did anyone notice that are run D stunk at the end of the Pitt game where CR was no where to be found.  Alonzo McQueen might be able to step up as well but even if that happens we have KW, AM and CR then nothing.

We really need another T-Mac to transfer in to give us someone until some of these young guys can fully develop, or at least another solid guy like Kion who is a top backup or possible starter.

Regarding LBs, we have 2 darn good commits in T Williams and C Griffiths.  Griffiths is in the Moffit mold but faster and Williams is faster and hits really hard.  We also may grab Sam Barrington, which, IMO, is better than both of them.  We're also in the mix for a couple more big names but they're longer shots. 

Also keep in mind that we signed some LBs last year that are promising in Sanchez and Lanaris.  In the end we should have some decent depth especially with Burnham coaching them.

• Content Count:  1,797

One correction for this thread....Kion Wilson has two more seasons after this year as he transferred in as a soph.  So Kion and Sabbath Joseph have two years, C Rob 1 year, Q. Taylor, Lanaris and Sanchez have 4 years and we are recruiting several more LBs including Jacquain Williams who would be a juco transfer.  A little green there, yes, but there is some experience and hopefully some of the redshirts will be ready to play.

Normal

Archived