• USF Bulls fans join us at The Bulls Pen

It's simple, free and connects you to other South Florida Bulls fans!

• Members do not see this ad, Register

Bulls Get 15th Commit

• Group:  Member
  • Topic Count:  0
  • Content Count:  111
  • Days Won:  0

Kion is not a Soph he's a Jr, you're thinking of Bedford or Marshall who are both sophs.  I do think those LB's named will be solid players but I don't think any of this will be ready for next year, I know BM was a 4 year starter but generally we have a guy start 2 years at LB because it takes some time to physically mature at that position. A doubt a true frosh LB or a redshirt LB see's the field much on defenses, unless they're unbelievable.

• Replies 35
  • Created
  • Last Reply

• Content Count:  18,470
  • Days Won:  44

We have quality wr's for days. I'm looking for the big guys to establish this passing game. We have some decent young ol prospects but what about DL...DT..needs to be adressed for the future. We need some monsters up front there. We need another Josh Julmiste at DE...we need to stack the defensive side of ball as well. We need true depth.

Leslie Stirrups supposedly will be here in the spring and he could help right away.

http://rivals100.rivals.com/viewprospect.asp?pr_key=35905&Sport=1

Anthony Hill will also be here for spring practice.

http://usf.rivals.com/viewprospect.asp?Sport=1&pr_key=62579

By next summer we should have more depth than we do now.

• Content Count:  1,894

I LOVE our team and love that we can win with the players we have. I wouldnt trade them either but for the future I'd like to see some size in the right places. We see these LSU,FLORIDA,ALABAMA...oline and dline and I get jealous.

• Content Count:  3,403

Kion is not a Soph he's a Jr, you're thinking of Bedford or Marshall who are both sophs.  I do think those LB's named will be solid players but I don't think any of this will be ready for next year, I know BM was a 4 year starter but generally we have a guy start 2 years at LB because it takes some time to physically mature at that position. A doubt a true frosh LB or a redshirt LB see's the field much on defenses, unless they're unbelievable.

Sabbath Joseph competed for a starting spot in the spring, and McQueen and Chris Robinson could step in alongside Kion Wilson.

The spot I've been most worried about is OL, but we've gotten some recruits and have 2 guys coming back that have started this year, at least, since Sims got time with the injury.  Hermann, right, and Huners missed time last year?  I get those 2 confused lately.  He should be coming back soon, too...

• Content Count:  4,016

Maybe bc I realize that a number of those will end up on defense and not the OL so it's not as "solid" as you may think.  Then when you add in graduation/injury, we're not exactly stocked for a LONG HAUL at OL.  Especially if you're bringing in JUCOs which are quick fixes.

Contrast that with WR's where we lose few and they GROW ON TREES IN THIS STATE!  And in this scheme, we don't utilize their talent to the max anyway for a number of reasons you've heard me harp on.

Don't look now, but the most glaring area may very well be LB.  We've got some guys for sure, but any true "studs" who are locks to do what we need which is be stout against the run?  QT is quite a prospect, but he's not going to be a run stopper like McKenzie.

Again, what guys move from the OL to DL?  Genus is the only guy that's come to mind.  Recently Estenor moved from DL to OT and has played in three games since the move, I also expect Jatavious Jackson to make the move.  We are stocked FINALLY for the long-haul for OL....no one can look at the numbers and talent and deny such a thing.  In fact, any long-term bulls fan knows that this upcoming off-season could be the first time ever they've seen so many scholarship OL (with at least one year with the program) around.  OL is a funny position because it's about time and maturation.  Physically few are prepared to play right away and this is one of the two issues that has plagued USF in the past on recruiting OL.  First, they never had sufficient depth so they were always recruiting guys to step-in within a year, and that hurts, secondly the athleticism is something USF has too look for in an OL because of our zone blocking schemes and pulling.  No fat boys need apply.  Given those factors it's been tough sledding for USF recruiting in FL where the quality jumbo athletes are a bit rarer.  What happens is you force OL onto the field earlier, and before they were ready or skilled enough to contribute.  Along OL you can bring a two star guy along slowly, build up his strength, knowledge and technique and in 3 years he can be a very quality OL.  I look at the four seniors on our OL, all highly skilled OL, athletic, but few had the luxury of spending sufficient time mentoring- all were called to duty by their soph years- and all were signed recruited 4-5 years ago before we were BE.

I look at the OL talent now in Hermann, Warren, Popek, Estenor, Jackson, McCaskill...and i see very good athletes that are capable of being very good OL.

As for LB, the concern is not next year it is 2010.  Next year's LB crew will have Sabbath Joseph, he's the 2007 Mompremier a guy that is ready to start now, Kion Wilson, Chris Robinson, and McQueen, but Wilson and Robinson will be seniors in 2009, so 2010 is McQueen and Joseph...we need 1-2 more studs to be ready by then...I think Quavon Taylor will be, and personally there is a phenom JC that is probably coming who would be ready too.

• Content Count:  18,470
  • Days Won:  44

Detailed story on Theliar by Alan Dell in the Herald Tribune:

Former Hurricane getting back on track

By ALAN DELL

CORRESPONDENT

Published: Thursday, October 23, 2008 at 1:00 a.m.

Last Modified: Wednesday, October 22, 2008 at 10:51 p.m.

TAMPA - Edgard Theliar was a dream receiver at Manatee High. He was quick, tall athletic and had a soft pair of hands that could latch onto any football thrown in his vicinity.

bilde?Site=SH&Date=20081023&Category=ARTICLE&ArtNo=810230406&Ref=AR&Profile=2050&MaxW=250&border=0

FILE PHOTO / 2006 Former Manatee High star Edgard Theliar, shown making a catch against Dunedin in 2006, is currently at Butler (Kansas) CC.

When he was a junior for the Hurricanes, Theliar was putting up big numbers and on his way to becoming a top college prospect.

"He had a great upside. He was a great talent. He was rangy, had a nice a vertical and was very athletic," Manatee High receivers coach Chuck Sandberg said.

What he didn't have was stability in his life. Things were caving in around him, and it all came crashing down after a big game he had against archrival Southeast to open the 2006 season.

His teammate and best friend Jerome Miller was in a serious dirt bike accident a few days later that left him in a coma. The accident dramatically changed both their lives.

Theliar's anguish was mental and emotional, and he was eventually able to recover and turn things around. Miller, a promising college prospect, has never played football again and still has a trachea tube in his throat in his recovery that is going into its third year.

In that Southeast game, Theliar caught five passes for 74 yards, including a 31-yard TD reception. The rest of the season, he caught only 12 passes for 141 yards in 13 games. As a junior, he led the 'Canes with 27 receptions for 394 yards.

"After Jerome's accident, Edgard went into a funk. He wasn't the same kid and didn't maximize his potential," Sandberg said. "We knew he could play at the next level, but weren't sure if he had the discipline to do what it takes. He was his own worse enemy that senior year."

Theliar also let his grades slip and wasn't qualified to play Division I-A, though most colleges had turned away. The one school that stayed with him was the University of South Florida.

USF receivers coach Mike Canales never gave up on Theliar and stayed in contact with him during his two year junior college journey that took him across the country.

Theliar said his thanks to Canales when he recently made a verbal commitment to USF. He plans to join the program in May with two years of eligibility remaining. He has offers from Oregon, San Diego State, Hawaii, FIU and Louisiana-Lafayette.

"Ever since high school, the coaches at USF stayed with me, and now they are a top twenty-five program," Theliar said. "Everything is falling into place there. I am trying to get to the NFL, and they have great coaches, who can coach you up."

In 2007 when he walked through the graduation line at Manatee High, the last thing on his mind was the NFL. There weren't any offers from colleges, and Theliar had to pay his own way to College of The Desert, a junior college in California.

With the help of his mother, Sheila Evans, a nurse, he was able to pay the costs. On the field, he was also able to recapture his talent and earned All-American honors.

But the costs were getting heavy, and with his ailing grandmother in need of medical attention, Theliar transferred to Butler Community College in Kansas because the defending junior college national champions were able to give him a full scholarship,.

Now 6-foot-3, 200 pounds, Theliar has not disappointed the coaching staff there. He leads the Grizzlies in reception yardage with 385 and his 21 catches are tied for the team lead. Last week in a 68-0 victory Independence CC, Theliar returned a punt 72 yards for a TD and is averaging 15.1 yards per punt return.

"I had a lot going through my head in those days at Manatee, and I just couldn't handle it," Theliar said. "Me and Jerome were like brothers, and when his accident happened my grandmother was also real sick. It seemed like so many things were happening at once. Now, I understand adversity is everywhere in your life and you've got to handle it. Now, I don't let adversity get in-between me and the things I have to do."

Theliar credits Deputy Ralph Bryant of the Manatee County Police Athletic League for helping him get this life straightened out.

"I call him dad," Theliar said. "He kept me out of trouble and showed me the right way to do things. He showed me the value of life and the value of talent and not to let it go to waste."

Theliar, who turns 20 on November 5th, has stayed in touch with USF receiver and Southeast High graduate A.J. Love. Theliar said Canales told him he would replace Taurus Johnson next year and play opposite Love.

"A.J. just told me to get ready for the next level and to help USF win a national championship and have the best receiving corps in the nation," Theliar said. "Coach (Jim) Leavitt said the same thing when I told him I was coming. He went crazy on the phone and said he was glad to have me and to be ready."

http://www.heraldtribune.com/article/20081023/ARTICLE/810230406/2050/SPORTS?Title=Former_Hurricane_getting_back_on_track

Archived