• USF Bulls fans join us at The Bulls Pen

It's simple, free and connects you to other South Florida Bulls fans!

• Members do not see this ad, Register

Daniels, Landi shine at Bull Bowl

• Group:  Member
  • Topic Count:  0
  • Content Count:  738
  • Days Won:  1

I believe BJ can take less than 20% of nonconference snaps and no conference snaps and apply for a redshirt.

• Replies 47
  • Created
  • Last Reply

• Content Count:  1,241
  • Days Won:  0

You guys honestly dont think you know the redshirt rules better than leavett do you? Come on.

Theres 2 things he could be referring to.

First he could mean getting him a medical redshirt. Not sure why he would of announced it if that was his plan though

Second, he means red shirting him NEXT year if we are unable to sign Eugene Smith.

Or it could be what this guy above me is saying.

• Content Count:  1,387
  • Days Won:  1

Link to NCAA Division 1 Manual 2008-09. 14.2.3.1: Criteria for Determining Season of Competition (pg. 136). 14.2.4: Hardship Waiver (pg. 138)

http://www.ncaapublications.com/Uploads/PDF/Division_1_Manual_2008-09e9e568a1-c269-4423-9ca5-16d6827c16bc.pdf

• Content Count:  3,403

You guys honestly dont think you know the redshirt rules better than leavett do you? Come on.

First he could mean getting him a medical redshirt. Not sure why he would of announced it if that was his plan though

Second, he means red shirting him NEXT year if we are unable to sign Eugene Smith.

I don't know what Leavitt knows, but we all should freaking know the rule by now!  HERE IT IS AGAIN.

14.2.3 Criteria for Determining Season of Competition.

14.2.3.1 Minimum Amount of Competition. Any competition, regardless of time, during a season in

an intercollegiate sport shall be counted as a season of competition in that sport, except as provided in Bylaws

14.2.3.1.1, 14.2.3.1.2 and 14.2.3.1.3. This provision is applicable to intercollegiate athletics competition

conducted by a two-year or four-year collegiate institution at the varsity or subvarsity level. (Revised: 1/11/94,

4/28/05 effective 8/1/05, 5/9/06)

He can't get a medical redshirt because HE'S NOT INJURED AND JUST PLAYED A FEW DAYS AGO.  Half the season is over.  There will be no redshirt this year.

As for next year, as you suggest...that would certainly be interesting considering he'd be our backup QB next year unless Gregory gets a waiver for another year.  I think Daniels is a lot better than Gregory, though.

BULL:  I'm not sure why you posted the page for the hardship waiver, because that's only for injuries (in other words, medical redshirt).  But thank you for the eligibility rule which I quoted above (for the millionth time on this website).  It's right above that rule.

• Content Count:  6,850
  • Days Won:  22

All this talk is pointless.

BJ did not want to RS, as we have seen if Grothe went down I think we would see BJ play. While I like Greogory's toughness there is no doubt that BJ would be a better QB.

Also since we are recruiting QBs it would be better for them to come in and RS next year leaving a two year gap betwen BJ and the next QB.

• Content Count:  3,809
  • Days Won:  4

I don't know what Leavitt knows, but we all should freaking know the rule by now!  HERE IT IS AGAIN.

an intercollegiate sport shall be counted as a season of competition in that sport, except as provided in Bylaws

He can't get a medical redshirt because HE'S NOT INJURED AND JUST PLAYED A FEW DAYS AGO.  Half the season is over.  There will be no redshirt this year.

As for next year, as you suggest...that would certainly be interesting considering he'd be our backup QB next year unless Gregory gets a waiver for another year.  I think Daniels is a lot better than Gregory, though.

BULL:  I'm not sure why you posted the page for the hardship waiver, because that's only for injuries (in other words, medical redshirt).  But thank you for the eligibility rule which I quoted above (for the millionth time on this website).  It's right above that rule.

Did you miss the highlighted portion?

• Content Count:  4,016

I guess we'll see.

Call me the voice of reason, but BJ is going to be redshirted.  USF and every school for that matter, has done it countless times.  That FAQ page is wrong.  There is an actual formula by the NCAA to determine how many a player played in their first half of their redshirt season.  If they exceed that then they are not eligible for it, if they do not then they are eligible.

My goodness, all of you 'genius' fans don't seem to watch your team much.  About 10-15 USF players over the past 5 years have fallen into this category.

• Content Count:  4,016

BTW, for all the jerk-offs questioning Leavitt, our athletic department has on-staff legal counsel that Leavitt consults CONSTANTLY about NCAA rules and issues- to include the redshirt year.

Psst, and he's just as sharp or sharper than smazza too, but maybe smazza is a touch richer.

I just think it's hilarious that USF employs full-time legal counsel, the same guy that gets all these 'waivers approved', so clearly he knows something about the NCAA and their rules, and yet there a bunch of jerk-offs on this board that don't know sheezzttt about the NCAA, it's rules, or college football rules for that matter, questioning the head coach and calling him stupid.  Yet all the while USF is making these comments and decisions based in part, by their in-house counsel's recommendations, and these jerk-offs are taking five minutes on a google search to question their HC who's been doing it for 30 years, and their in-house counsel.

Hilarious, just hilarious.  Now I know why many athletes and coaches come to these sites for comic relief.  Not that LEavitt needed in-house counsel on this one since the loopholes in the RS rules are pretty well known to all coaches in the NCAA.

Archived