• USF Bulls fans join us at The Bulls Pen

It's simple, free and connects you to other South Florida Bulls fans!

• Members do not see this ad, Register

USF To Host AFC Champion for Super Bowl XLIII

BULLfreak

• Group:  Member
  • Topic Count:  0
  • Content Count:  7,890
  • Days Won:  0

USF To Host AFC Champion for Super Bowl XLIII 

Courtesy: USF

Release: 10/09/2008

TAMPA -- The University of South Florida Athletics Department and football practice facility will host the AFC Champion in Super Bowl XLIII.

The AFC team will use the practice fields, training room, locker room and weight room from Jan. 25-31, 2009.

The Super Bowl is returning to Tampa and Raymond James Stadium on Feb. 1. It is the fourth time that Tampa has served as the host city and the second time at Raymond James Stadium. It is also the second time that USF has served as a practice facility.

"This is great opportunity to showcase our university, our facilities and the USF brand," said USF Associate AD for Facilities and Event Management Scott Glaser.  "We take great pride in the fact that they are returning for a second time. Our department has built a new training center since the NFL utilized our campus in 2001. We believe they will be impressed with the first class amenities provided to the AFC Champion."

In May 2004, the USF athletic family moved into a sparkling new $15 million facility that provides student-athletes with an outstanding environment for improving the mind and body with impressive space for academic counseling, sports medicine and strength and conditioning, in addition to a home for the athletic department staff.

After Super Bowl XLIII, USF will be one of only six programs to play their home football games in a stadium that has hosted multiple Super Bowls while they have been a tenant.  The others are USC, UCLA, San Diego State, Miami and Tulane.

• Content Count:  1,991

The practice field I believe will get new grass again as it did the last time it hosted. I wonder if they will take this opportunity to move the practice field next to the facility (switching it with IM Fields) as it is one of the changes they are looking to make.

• Content Count:  7,890

it would be the time to do it

• Content Count:  8,044
  • Days Won:  9

Are the players staying in the hotel on campus?

• Content Count:  3,097
  • Days Won:  1

Are the players staying in the hotel on campus?

My guess is no.  If I remember correctly, the team hotels for the last Super Bowl in Tampa were the Hyatt by TIA and the Wyndham Westshore, across from Westshore Mall.

• Content Count:  3,307
  • Days Won:  1

Is the NFL going to contribute anything to the cause? I think the last time they were there, they installed new practice fields.

• Content Count:  684

where do the NFC champs practice?

• Content Count:  8,044
  • Days Won:  9

where do the NFC champs practice?

Most likely the Bucs practice facility.  They make the AFC go somewhere else in case the Bucs make the Super bowl.  That's my guess.

• Content Count:  1,911

As of this summer there were no plans for new fields but that could have changed.

• Content Count:  4,642

what kind of compensation does USF get from this if any?

Archived