• USF Bulls fans join us at The Bulls Pen

It's simple, free and connects you to other South Florida Bulls fans!

• Members do not see this ad, Register

Leavitt

• Group:  Member
  • Topic Count:  0
  • Content Count:  10,251
  • Days Won:  14

I can't believe what I'm hearing...We lost to a solid Pitt team.

We just got beat. Getting rid or exploring the idea of getting rid of Leavitt would be very stupid.

• Replies 31
  • Created
  • Last Reply

• Content Count:  1,254
  • Days Won:  0

I just don't want to hear him say he'll take the blame for this loss. To me this was all on poor execution by the players. Defense absolutely flopped on Pitt's last score. Roberts played as bad as I've seen any USF corner in the past. Offense didn't seem alive.

Hats off to Selvie. That kid plays hard every down. He'll be gone after this year and I will surely miss him.

• Content Count:  6,574
  • Days Won:  2

How about this for a coaching idea..

HIRE A G-D SPECIAL TEAMS COACH!!!!!!!

I'm about tired of watching **** poor special teams play, week in and week out...

Yeah, they blocked a punt for a td today, that was outstanding but how about the previous possession where the dood plowed the punter?

Blocked field goals, missed field goals, shanked punts, kickoffs out of bounds, a complete lack of return games......

It is getting old.

Very well said.  Kick off coverage is poor, how many times have they stopped opponents behind the 20 and our return game, well?

What coach would you like to replace?

Most NCAA teams don't have a single ST coach. It usually is a position coach or in some cases the head (Beamer, Meyer)

PS - its because of coaching number restrictions

Guest mleeth

USF needs to be throwing money at the program. In that, I mean a special teams coach (make another skills coach handle it, not Leavitt), and increased recruiting funding. I think Gregory did a good job last night, as good he could have. Plays were pretty dynamic and for one of the first times that I've noticed, when they find something that works (Ford running in the 4th), they stuck with it.

To the coaches' discredit though, even the announcers were saying how Roberts was having a terrible night, and this was only after the 2nd pass interference call. These aren't professionals, I'm sure he was doing his best. But, if the kid is not performing, you have to set an example (and not screw over the team) by putting in the backup.

Unfortunately, too, our o-line was terrible. There was a house blitz in the 4th that ran all over our o-line. Made them look childish. I guess that's what happens when Pitt has a more talented D-line (compared to our O-line) and the bulls are riddled with injuries at the o-line unit.

I would like to think we'd have won if we had a by-week before this game. After kansas the team looked progressively worse, and NC State didn't give them the confidence they needed to get through the injuries and tiredness.

• Content Count:  997
  • Days Won:  1

Saying that Leavitt is a poor motivator is crazy, its his stock and trade. He gets them fired up and they play on talent and emotion THAT is his strength. Saying that he does not prepare them to play every game is the truth. We have serious defensive issues, most of which are not a surprise. The surprise is the fact that they seem to be lost out there, like not know what coverage they are in for some plays. I called our defense butter and was blasted for it, but to tell the truth we are lucky we are not 2-3. Not playing Ford more last year and this year is unconscionable. I'm sure they have their issues with the kid and the injury may have slowed him some but he is the real deal and not playing him, OR solving the problems you have with him is hurting the team. We were out coached again. It happens and will happen again. Bad clock management, blown T.O.'s, sloppy special teams play, undisciplined play and penalties are all USF traditions. CJL and staff recruit like gangbusters especially considering their budget. Overachieving in evaluating talent and bringing it to USF has allowed us to grow exponentially over the last 10 years. Talent has never been a problem. Coaching . . . well its been a slow learning curve. I figure CJL has 10 years of losing years built up and he has only had 2 so far. I am all for being loyal to him, but that comes at a price. We can win a lot games with him at the helm, but we are never going to win the big game. Hell we may never win a conference championship. He built this program from the foundation up, but just because a guy pours your foundation doesn't mean he is the right guy to design the interior. Two totally separate jobs with different skill sets. CJL COULD learn how to do it. He could be humble and re-evaluate his hiring processes, his practice structure and methodology but I doubt that will ever happen. We have a young defense and an offense that helps wears them out. We have an overly complicated offense that wastes its biggest talents and sputters at times. We have a coach that leads with his heart and coaches through emotion. Go Bulls! 2018, its our year!!

• Content Count:  667
  • Days Won:  0

there's no reason why we shouldnt be DOMINATING this conference.  from a geographical standpoint, we should be collecting FL recruits that our Northern BE counterparts can't even sniff.  and, unlike, UF/UM/FSU, we have NO OTHER school in our conference that is geographically close to us that can compete for recruits from that geographic standpoint.

however, our coaching staff needs to step up its recruiting and start landing some of the big fish-- some of the big gamers who could have hung with PITT (a team that's been getting better recruits than us as of late).  i agree, that its more than just recruiting, its coaching-- but sometimes, talent wins over coaching and tonight was one of those times.  unless we start recruiting better, there will always been a personnel mismatch with us and teams that are 'bigger' than us.  we may win the SPEED battle, but when it comes to the war in the trenches, teams know how to beat us now.. especially Big East teams.

this is why MIAMI dominated our conference-- SUPERIOR ATHLETES.  even days when they would be tied with Temple (who was in the Big East) going into halftime, TALENT always wins in the 2nd half and they would always pull away.

we can still applaud Leavitt and the coaching staff on "finding gems" like Selvie and Grothe, who were barely recruiting, but we still gotta go after the game-changer highly-touted recruits like McCOY and even Mike FORD.  imagine if we had a mike ford-caliber player on every level of our defense-- one at safety, one at linebacker, one at d-line.  believe it or not, WE CAN.  WE HAVE THE RESOURCES AND THE LOCATION TO GET THOSE TYPE OF ATHLETES.  we just need to do so...

• Content Count:  3,084
  • Days Won:  2

HIRE A G-D SPECIAL TEAMS COACH!!!!!!!

I'm about tired of watching **** poor special teams play, week in and week out...

It is getting old.

AMEN!  Ive never seen a team so badly coached on special teams its unbelieveable. 

I'll take the position, i cant do any worse.

• Content Count:  997
  • Days Won:  1

there's no reason why we shouldn't be DOMINATING this conference. 

Oye. I think dominating may be a little too much to ask, but how about winning one (1) conference championship with the athletes that we have had? I wrote too much before but I think that the gist of it is: This is as good as its gonna get for the next 10 years. Recruits will not continue to come here to finish third and no BCS games. After 10 years of mediocrity in BCS conference (THE weakest BCS conference) play then we can START to expect more I guess.

Archived