• USF Bulls fans join us at The Bulls Pen

It's simple, free and connects you to other South Florida Bulls fans!

• Members do not see this ad, Register

USF Total Defense: #8

E.T.

• Group:  TBP Subscriber III
  • Topic Count:  0
  • Content Count:  37,659
  • Days Won:  29

http://web1.ncaa.org/football/exec/rankingSummary?year=2008&org=651

And #4 Rushing Defense

Total Offense: Sweet 16  8)

5-0 Baby !!!

• Group:  Member
  • Content Count:  849
  • Days Won:  0

http://web1.ncaa.org/football/exec/rankingSummary?year=2008&org=651

And #4 Rushing Defense

Total Offense: Sweet 16  8)

5-0 Baby !!!

Really? Wow, I'm surprised. I thought our play-calling sucked on both sides of the ball thus far...[/sarcasm]

To all who have doubted our OC, when the players execute the plays called properly, we will be very hard to stop

• Content Count:  1,457

All in all the stats point to a top 8 ranking.

• Content Count:  2,484
  • Days Won:  1

amazing stat I heard the announcer say during the game...USF holds its opponents to "3 and out" on 53% of their drives....outstanding

• Content Count:  3,594
  • Days Won:  3

And if our safeties wouldn't have had multiple brain burps against NC State, we would have better looking numbers against the pass.

• Content Count:  667

We're also the #1 Offense and #1 Defense in the Big East!!!

thats not saying much about the big east.. but then again, we all knew that already

• Content Count:  7,993
  • Days Won:  21

Before we start a gregory-lovefest (an I have defended him myself), the substitution patterns and some playcalls are confusing.  However, the general game plans have been sound.

Of course, a lot of the offensive improvement can be attributed to Matt being more patient and staying in the pocket and finding the open man.

• Content Count:  849

Before we start a gregory-lovefest (an I have defended him myself), the substitution patterns and some playcalls are confusing.  However, the general game plans have been sound.

Of course, a lot of the offensive improvement can be attributed to Matt being more patient and staying in the pocket and finding the open man.

Exactly, the play-calling didn't change, it just so happens that the players are starting to execute better

• Content Count:  5,900
  • Days Won:  5

Exactly, the play-calling didn't change, it just so happens that the players are starting to execute better

Playcalling has been great all season, we're racking up all kinds of stats. Only complaints have been clock management/going into conservative mode way too early. Two plays that stick out in my mind are...

2nd and 6 @ UCF with 14 pt lead, we have Grothe throwing with no RB in the backfield to pick up the blitz. Sure, take the sack and punt later, but GG didn't put Matt in the best spot there knowing that they would likely be bringing the house if they wanted a shot.

3rd and 1 vs. KU with 14 point lead. Grothe is throwing with a 5 step drop and gets sacked. KU rallies after the punt. Again, OL can do a better job, but again, not the best situation when you have a 240 lb running back just waiting to punish someone for a yard.

Otherwise, I have been pretty happy with the offensive playcalling so far. Like someone else said in another thread, the offensive game plans have been excellent, just a couple of plays here and there that could have been better. It goes both ways, you can be a horrible OC and draw up bad plays, but technically, if the players execute, they will work. I think our offense is in a great rhythm right now, and I thing Grothe and Gregory are really building up a lot of confidence in each other. I think all of our issues last year were GG getting comfortable as the OC, Grothe getting comfortable with his calls, and GG getting comfortable with how Grothe is going to react in certain situations.

Top-20 offense, so I can't complain too much. Still a few drops along the way that could boost our numbers even more.

Archived