• USF Bulls fans join us at The Bulls Pen

It's simple, free and connects you to other South Florida Bulls fans!

• Members do not see this ad, Register

The good, the bad, and the ugly...USF @ NC State

• Group:  Member
  • Topic Count:  0
  • Content Count:  10,369
  • Days Won:  7

The good - pretty much everything, complete team win

The bad - defense secondary looked weak a few times.  They got beat on some deep floaters that should have been easier to defend. 

The ugly - offensive play calling.  I understand we scored 41 points, but on a wet field with USF up by 3 or 4 touchdowns why is Matt still running the ball?  Also had some down right strange calls.  2nd and a foot around midfield I recall us running a QB dive.  Why run that on second down?  You can always run that on 3rd down. 

hahaha, really? we had bad play calling? We took what the defense gave us, when its raining, you're supposed to run the football and grind out yards...passing becomes way too risky. I agree that the 2nd and short qb was a bit hasty but it got us the first down. I guess the OC tried to catch them off guard....you did remember last week that we couldn't punch it in against FIU on their goal line right? I'm glad that we don't take those yards for granted....look at what happened to Teblow on 4th and short against a team who hadn't won an SEC game since 2006

Of course you run the ball, especially with a huge lead, but do yo have to use your starting QB?

I am actually a fan of Gregory.  I think most who complain about him were probably not fans during the Rod Smith era.  The play calling wasn't bad, just ugly.  I guess strange might be a better word to describe it.

• Content Count:  2,019
  • Days Won:  2

The Good: 1) OL's continued strength in blocking.  I noticed MG using the pocket more v. UCF.  Wasn't sure if that was  b/c of the OL or UCF DL was that bad.  Love seeing MG able to use the pocket more.  Good Job OL, keep it up!

2) Our depth @ DL and LB.  Way to step up in the absences of GS & BM.

3) Our WR.  Nice catches in wet conditions.  Always good to see.

The Bad:  NC State Scored and was able to make long Passes.

Ugly: Weather.

About MG not leaving the game:  We are a top 10 team now.  We currently only have 1 ranked team left on the season.  We cannot rely on a higher ranked team losing.  We must Run up the score.  Grant and BJ are good and could use experience, but MG should play 2.5-3 qtrs minimum.  Less sporting?  Yes.  Necessary?  Unfortunately, yes to help ranking.

• Content Count:  3,899
  • Days Won:  8

I also Liked the fact that MG scrambled out of trouble on a few occasions, but instead of running downfield, he lookd up and found the open player. He also seemed to be going through his progressions instead of just locking onto one guy. of course the O-line has a lot to do with all this but "Way to go MG"

Agreed. I don't remember when in the game it was, but there was one play where he was staring down his receiver, and he cocked back and looked as if he was about to try to squeeze one in, and then pulled it back in and hit the back on the checkdown

Archived