• USF Bulls fans join us at The Bulls Pen

It's simple, free and connects you to other South Florida Bulls fans!

• Members do not see this ad, Register

USF vs. BYU for the National Championship?

Guest BasketBull.

• Group:  Member
  • Topic Count:  0
  • Content Count:  10,251
  • Days Won:  14

Orlando,

It has nothing to do with that. It has to do with his board exploding into everyone crying about how we should be in the title game etc.

I think talking NC is getting eay ahead of ourselves now.

• Replies 31
  • Created
  • Last Reply

• Content Count:  19,229
  • Days Won:  1

I don't know if BYU would be able to make the NC game.  Maybe a BCS if they win out.  One loss teams would pass BYU for NC game.  As for USF, if we win out then I see us making it.  We climbed to #2 last year!!  It's a bit early and I feel like I'm jinxing the team.  (Knock on wood.)

I can't see anything but the NC State game in front of us.  We need to play solid football or there is no chance at BCS, much less the championship game, and it all starts Saturday.  If we play any more games like the FIU game, we are toast.

Yes, Boston fan.... I know that.  :)  I also mentioned it was too early to be talking NC.  Which is why this is the first and last time I will talk about it till football finishes.

LOL... ;D ;D

• Content Count:  5,900
  • Days Won:  5

Orlando,

It has nothing to do with that. It has to do with his board exploding into everyone crying about how we should be in the title game etc.

I think talking NC is getting eay ahead of ourselves now.

I gotcha, just a slow morning at work, so I had to throw some sarcasm out. I am trying to stay level headed, but it's hard not to dream. Just last year, we were there if we took care of business.

• Content Count:  5,249
  • Days Won:  2

let's not jump the shark/count our chickens before they hatch/prematurely ejaculate, as it were.

• Content Count:  7,993
  • Days Won:  21

Until the BE expands to more historically tough SOS teams we will get passed over time and time again for the NC.

Why don't we get passed over once before we go down that road.  We were #2 last year.  We would have gotten in had we been consistent and kept winning.  Maybe we can worry about winning our conference for once before we worry about the NC.

Until the BE expands to more historically tough SOS teams we will get passed over time and time again for the NC.

Why don't we get passed over once before we go down that road.  We were #2 last year.  We would have gotten in had we . . . kept winning.  Maybe we can worry about winning our conference for once before we worry about the NC.

EXACTLY.

If USF and BYU finish undefeated, and there are no other undefeate teams, then I think the chances are very good that would be the NC game.

Sure, the voters coaches and Harris pollsters tend to prefer more familiar names... but don't forget that BYU won a national championship in the 1980s... and USF was #2 and would not have been passed has we taken care of business last year. 

Don't discount the power of the computers... especially if voters split their votes among three or four teams.

Last year, when USF #2 in the BCS... the Bulls were #3 in the coaches poll with 3 first place votes AND #3 in the Harris poll with 2 first place votes.

Of course, USF was also one of six remaining undefeated teams in week 7...

Point being, if USF wins out, we have the chance to play for the NC.

And that is what I am expecting at this time.

• Content Count:  7,993
  • Days Won:  21

Winning the national title is not easy.  Penn State had the following seasons, under Paterno, without winning the national title:

1968   11-0 Behind an undefeated Ohio State team

1969   11-0 Behind undefeated Texas

1973   12-0 Ended the season at #5, behind 3 undefeated teams (ND, Oklahoma. Ohio State (with 1 tie)) and a 1-loss Bama

1994   12-0 Behind undefeated Nebraska

When they won it in 1982 Penn State was 11-1, and in 1986 was 12-0.

Penn State has also had seasons at 11-1 (1971, 1977, 1978, 1986 and 2005) where they did not win the national title.

That is 11 seasons with zero or 1 loss and only 2 national titles to show for it.  It's hard.  Just because we finish with a loss or undefeated does not mean that we get a share of the NC.  Fact of life.  Let's win the conference.

• Content Count:  5,900
  • Days Won:  5

Winning the national title is not easy.  Penn State had the following seasons, under Paterno, without winning the national title:

1968   11-0 Behind an undefeated Ohio State team

1969   11-0 Behind undefeated Texas

1973   12-0 Ended the season at #5, behind 3 undefeated teams (ND, Oklahoma. Ohio State (with 1 tie)) and a 1-loss Bama

1994   12-0 Behind undefeated Nebraska

Penn State has also had seasons at 11-1 (1971, 1977, 1978, 1986 and 2005) where they did not win the national title.

That is 11 seasons with zero or 1 loss and only 2 national titles to show for it.  It's hard.  Just because we finish with a loss or undefeated does not mean that we get a share of the NC.  Fact of life.  Let's win the conference.

All of those were before the BCS era though. You can't compare.

• Content Count:  2,118
  • Days Won:  0

one loss SEC team or one loss USC will get in ahead of us if we go undefeated.

Winning the national title is not easy.  Penn State had the following seasons, under Paterno, without winning the national title:

1968  11-0 Behind an undefeated Ohio State team

1969  11-0 Behind undefeated Texas

1973  12-0 Ended the season at #5, behind 3 undefeated teams (ND, Oklahoma. Ohio State (with 1 tie)) and a 1-loss Bama

1994  12-0 Behind undefeated Nebraska

That is 11 seasons with zero or 1 loss and only 2 national titles to show for it.  It's hard.  Just because we finish with a loss or undefeated does not mean that we get a share of the NC.  Fact of life.  Let's win the conference.

All of those were before the BCS era though. You can't compare.

Exactly... you have to look at who awarded national champions in those years.. mostly Associated Press and United Press International...

Consider the "split" championship in 1991 (Miami-AP; Washington-UPI & USA Today/CNN)

In 1994, Penn State was in the Big Ten and had to play in the Rose Bowl, also Nebraska played undefeated Florida State... so you have THREE undefeated teams and two winners... which happened to Auburn in 2004.

Archived