• USF Bulls fans join us at The Bulls Pen

It's simple, free and connects you to other South Florida Bulls fans!

• Members do not see this ad, Register

University of South Florida building a linebacker legacy

• Group:  Member
  • Topic Count:  0
  • Content Count:  1,370
  • Days Won:  0

That's pretty cool, especially since their hometown UM is considered co-Linebacker U with Penn St.

• Content Count:  18,470
  • Days Won:  44

Another nice article about LB Kion Wilson, in Sarasota Herald Tribune, who is returning home to Miami this weekend.

Bulls' Wilson a real survivor

USF linebacker made the right move by changing his circle of friends

By ALAN DELL

CORRESPONDENT

Published: Wednesday, September 17, 2008 at 1:00 a.m.

Last Modified: Tuesday, September 16, 2008 at 9:56 p.m.

TAMPA -

About every two months, almost like clock work, Kion Wilson receives a phone call with the same news: A former friend or someone who traveled in his circle is dead or incarcerated.

He feels the pain of another senseless killing, but can't hide his relief. It could've been him. Growing up in Carol City, he was destined to be another statistic on a Miami police blotter.

Wilson was part of what he called an "alliance" where guys stuck together and watched each other's backs with little regard for the law.

He spent ninth grade at an alternative school in Miami, a place reserved for students who might be better off staying out of the main stream school system.

"I was getting in trouble and heading down the wrong path," the University of South Florida linebacker said. "I had the wrong friends and was hanging with people, who had to do things that are illegal to have fun."

Wilson's father had died and Kion was left to figure things out for himself. Something told him there had to be another way. His mother agreed and sent him to live with his father's parents in Jacksonville before his sophomore year of high school.

"It was one of the best things I ever did," Wilson said. "Jacksonville is not as fast as Miami and it enabled me to choose the right friends, which was the most important thing. I surrounded myself with athletes and guys who did the right thing and knew what it takes to be successful. I learned you can have more fun doing the right thing."

The 6-foot-2, 235-pound junior will return to Miami this weekend when the Bulls play Florida International University. He expects more than 50 family members to be in attendance. But there will be no former friends among the group.

"I don't have any more friends in Miami. Everyone is either incarcerated or passed on," the 22-year-old said. "What I learned from that experience is that peer pressure is tough, but you have to be able to stand up and know what is right. I don't have to be with people who are doing everything that would lead to not being successful."

Wilson realized success on the football field at Jacksonville Raines High where he was a four-star recruit and sought by a lot of major programs, including the University of Miami.

But he had not taken care of his academics and wound up at Pearl River Community College.

He shined at the Mississippi junior college, credited with 117 tackles, six sacks and two interceptions as a freshman and 98 tackles and seven tackles for losses in nine games as a junior.

Wilson was heavily recruited, but loved the coaching staff at USF and enrolled for second semester last winter.

Coming out of spring practice and heading into the season, he earned the starting job at middle linebacker, replacing the heralded Ben Moffitt.

Wilson struggled a bit in the first game and his playing has been limited the past two weeks against UCF and Kansas because both like to throw the ball and the Bulls were using a lot of nickel and dime (six defensive backs) packages.

"I am not getting as many reps as I would like, but I've been a team player and whatever duty calls I am willing to do," Wilson said.

"We are winning and I am not complaining, but I am looking forward to facing some running teams like Rutgers, Pittsburgh and Connecticut where we will use more linebackers."

USF defensive coordinator Wally Burnham is happy with Wilson and feels he just needs more game experience.

His playing time will increase against certain teams and he will likely be at middle linebacker when the Bulls use a three-linebacker set.

"Kion is athletic and quick and plays hard. He just needs to understand things better sometimes because that position is so important, but he has the talent," Burnham said.

The coaching staff feels the defense wasn't able to finish as strong as it would've liked the past two weeks because a lot of the starters were getting too many reps and fatigue was kicking in.

This week they want to sub more guys in to help and that should mean more work for Wilson.

He believes the mental part of the game at this level is just as important as the physical and believes that will come with time.

"Maintaining composure on the field is the most important thing I've learned since I've been here," Wilson said.

"It's all right to get excited and pumped up before a game, but you have to calm down and remember the basics and go back to fundamentals."

http://www.heraldtribune.com/article/20080917/ARTICLE/809170352/2050/SPORTS&title=Bulls__Wilson_a_real_survivor

Guest JulmisteForPrez

our linebackers this year are invisible and i have seen every game

I'll agree on that point with regard to Kion Wilson.  Most of the time, you wouldn't know he's even out there....not good for a middle backer!

Mompremier & McKenzie have been all over the place, though.........especially McKenzie.  Dude is a specimen!

• Content Count:  7,993
  • Days Won:  21

our linebackers this year are invisible and i have seen every game

I'll agree on that point with regard to Kion Wilson.  Most of the time, you wouldn't know he's even out there....not good for a middle backer!

Mompremier & McKenzie have been all over the place, though.........especially McKenzie.  Dude is a specimen!

In fairness I think we have been in a 3-LB set maybe on 10-15% of snaps.  We have been predominantly running McKenzie and Mompremier with William, Verpaele/Gachette and Allen all on the field.

• Group:  TBP Subscriber III
  • Content Count:  37,676
  • Days Won:  29

In such a short time, we've developed some very good talent at LB.

Love the press.

Go BULLS !!!

• Content Count:  12,293
  • Days Won:  0

kion will play a HUGE roll in the conference games...specially against Pitt and UConn

Archived