• USF Bulls fans join us at The Bulls Pen

It's simple, free and connects you to other South Florida Bulls fans!

• Members do not see this ad, Register

University of South Florida building a linebacker legacy

• Group:  Member
  • Topic Count:  0
  • Content Count:  18,470
  • Days Won:  44

Nice to a see a great story like this writen in the Miami Herald.

University of South Florida building a linebacker legacy

The University of South Florida has quietly put together a legacy of linebacker standouts, helping lift the young team to a No. 12 ranking.

Posted on Wed, Sep. 17, 2008

BY JEFF SHAIN

jshain@MiamiHerald.com

TAMPA -- Developing a legacy of consistent excellence at any one position is no short-term project.

It takes more than one good crop of players, or a couple who make NFL rosters. Those guys eventually have to be replaced by candidates of similar distinction. Then, keep repeating the cycle as others begin to take note of your handiwork.

At USF, attention often zeros in on its linebackers.

Playing just its 12th year of college football, the Bulls already have sent three linebackers to the NFL. Another spent three seasons in the Canadian Football League, and an all-Big East performer was among this year's final NFL cuts.

Though that may not be enough to challenge the ''Linebacker U'' status of Penn State or Miami, it's enough to make this year's crop aware there's a legacy building.

''It's a great thing,'' said Brouce Mompremier, a two-year starter who returns to his hometown Saturday as the No. 12 Bulls help FIU rechristen its home field. ``I'm just hoping to be able to keep that tradition up.''

Mompremier (Miami Edison) is joined by fellow senior Tyrone McKenzie and newcomer Kion Wilson in a unit ranked as high as No. 9 in the nation by various preseason publications.

The two-deep also features sophomore Sabbath Joseph (Miami Central), who backs up Mompremier on the weak side and shared the team lead in tackles during USF's opening win over Tennessee-Martin.

''I've come a long way with those guys,'' Joseph said. ``Every day we watch film and they help me break it down. . . . Their leadership takes you a long way.''

It's the same type of leadership McKenzie and Mompremier were shown by Ben Moffitt, who learned from Stephen Nicholas and Pat St. Louis. The lineage extends back through such standouts as Kawika Mitchell, Maurice Jones and Demetrius Woods.

Mitchell last season earned a Super Bowl ring, making eight tackles in the New York Giants' stunning victory over New England. He now plays for Buffalo after cashing in during free agency.

Nicholas, meantime, is in his second season with Atlanta after being taken as a second-round draft pick. Jones spent one season with Green Bay, and Moffitt was among last month's final cuts by Houston.

For a program not even in its teen years, that's a pretty good track record.

''You really need to have people that have that kind of intensity and focus,'' USF coach Jim Leavitt said. ``Put that together with one of the best linebacker coaches in America in Wally Burnham, and that's probably what you're going to get.''

Burnham is the thread running nearly throughout the lineage. USF's defensive coordinator arrived eight years ago after establishing a linebacker legacy at Florida State that included Derrick Brooks, Marvin Jones and Jesse Solomon.

''When a linebacker knows he can come in here and be coached by the guy who coached Ben Moffitt, Stephen Nicholas, Marvin Jones, Derrick Brooks -- that's not bad,'' Leavitt said.

McKenzie, for one, doesn't deny it played a role in bringing him back to his home state.

''[burnham] was one of the major reasons why I wanted to be here,'' the Riverview native told USF's student newspaper. ``I wanted to go to a program where they excel at a certain position, and that's the case with linebackers here at USF.''

McKenzie came to the Bulls (3-0) on a hardship transfer from Iowa State, where as a sophomore he was a Big 12 second-team performer whose 129 tackles ranked eighth in the nation.

This year, McKenzie leads USF with four tackles for losses and is second with 19 total tackles. Mompremier stands fifth with nine stops.

''We really feel like we've got to have great play from them, or we're not going to be strong defensively,'' Leavitt said.

USF's former stars also have been active in passing along the tradition. Nicholas makes a point to talk to current crop whenever he's in town, and St. Louis is now an assistant strength coach.

''He's like a father figure to all of us now,'' Joseph said.

After all, there's now a lineage to uphold.

http://www.miamiherald.com/sports/colleges/um/story/689619.html 

• Group:  TBP Subscriber III
  • Content Count:  22,669
  • Days Won:  108

Since Linebacker U is taken and I don't think we want we want to be Linebacker U South, just what kind of name is out there for USF regarding linebackers?

• Content Count:  5,240
  • Days Won:  2

great article.

T-Mac really is a special talent.  the guy is nothing less than a monster backing up the line.  a brick wall.

i would be shocked if he doesn't go on the 1st day of the draft.

• Content Count:  18,470
  • Days Won:  44

great article.

T-Mac really is a special talent.  the guy is nothing less than a monster backing up the line.  a brick wall.

i would be shocked if he doesn't go on the 1st day of the draft.

It sure looks that way.

Right now he is projected to go in the 2nd round and #39 player overall. With another great season he could make it into the first round.

http://www.nfldraftscout.com/ratings/top64.php?draftyear=2009

• Content Count:  849
  • Days Won:  0

Nicholas was a 4th rounder not a 2nd rounder but otherwise, it was a solid article

• Content Count:  8,044
  • Days Won:  9

Nicholas was a 4th rounder not a 2nd rounder but otherwise, it was a solid article

You only point out errors when they make you look bad.  That's like complaining to a professor that s/he accidentally gave you an A instead of a C.

• Content Count:  66,072
  • Days Won:  172

we are hardly linebacker u

our linebackers this year are invisible and i have seen every game

• Content Count:  13
  • Days Won:  0

Was happy to see an article about the Bulls in the Herald that wasn't after a big win, seems to me that that's the only time they ever talk about them.

Archived