• USF Bulls fans join us at The Bulls Pen

It's simple, free and connects you to other South Florida Bulls fans!

• Members do not see this ad, Register

It's time for Gachette

• Group:  Member
  • Topic Count:  151
  • Content Count:  2,719
  • Days Won:  0

Pat is doing fine for a sophomore.  We can't expect miracles.  Some bad throws, yeah.  But he needs to settle down a little bit on the slants.  throws them a little high instead of on the numbers.  He will be fine.  

• Replies 56
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

• Group:  TBP Subscriber III
  • Topic Count:  687
  • Content Count:  7,660
  • Days Won:  6

Why don't we throw the out toward the sidelines once in a while?  USM was killing us with that the whole first half.  We always throw it to the middle in loads of coverage and tonight PJ was throwing at everyone's feet.

• Topic Count:  287
  • Content Count:  3,078

honestly i dont know that PJ has the arm strength to throw the outs, i dont know that he can zing it out there.  

• Topic Count:  433
  • Content Count:  2,657
  • Days Won:  1

honestly i dont know that PJ has the arm strength to throw the outs, i dont know that he can zing it out there.  

He has plenty of arm strength, probably the best arm the program has ever had. The problem is when you don't read coverages or throw into triple coverage you are not going to be a good college QB.

PJ has tools but he just makes too many mistakes.

He'll get better as the season goes along....I hope.

Guest S.  Bien

I sat with some pretty astute football folks, and all agreed that PJ has a ton of potential, but unfortunately for USF we need to ride him out.  Not that its a bad thing and he's a bad player, but the fact he's the type of QB that needed to spend 3 years on the bench riding behind a good QB to learn the ropes, and watch audibles, and play calling.  PJ makes mistakes, but he's also still developing.  He had some beautiful passes tonight to go with some really ugly ones.

It's part of the ropes folks, we are the tree right now because we must wait it out for PJ to develop.  He's got the potential, and ability, but he's young, still developing, and immature so the mistakes will follow.  He'll have his good games and his bad, but that's part of the fact we didn't recruit the QB position well at all the past four years.  You can't fault PJ, you can only hope he develops fast, and takes games like tonight and learns.  Tonight he made a lot of mistakes, but he was also a wisker away from having a great game.  That's the difference, and we just must wait for the maturation to occur.

My real disappointment tonight was with the LB position.  There was countless times they had to make plays and they simply screwed up, and didn't make the plays.  If I had to count the times I saw Nicholas, Davis, St. Louis, or even McCollough in position to make a tackle but ended up missing the tackle or letting the ball carrier take them for a ride I was going to puke.  They need to hit the holes with authority, use their hands better to shed blockers, and when a ball carrier is in their sites they need to wrap up, and take him down.  Everyone seemed like they were trying to make highlight tackles, and the ball carrier simply shoocked them off andwhat seemed like a 2 yard carry went for 6-9 yards, and set them up for 2nd and short and made us susceptible to play action.  MAKE TACKLES, and make plays LB.  Screw the highlight film.

I don't, and couldn't find much fault with play calling tonight on both sides of the ball our players just didn't make plays when the opportunities were there, and when the potential was there.  We're a very gifted team athletically speaking, but we won't beat many sound ball clubs like USM if we wait until the fourth quarter to make plays!

• Topic Count:  160
  • Content Count:  1,378

Tonight he was throwing at peoples feet?  He has always done that.  I dont get it.  Throw it high for crying out loud.

• Topic Count:  89
  • Content Count:  1,267

Carlton Hill is the future, so lets hope he signs with us, but I think Pat did some good things tonight.  Even with the four interceptions we still had a chance to win the game, largely due to his ability to drive us down the field under pressure at the end of the game.  He seems to play better under a hurry up offense, maybe we should work this into the game more, play with more urgency from the start, not in the 4th when we are behind, this seems to be his strong point.

As for Gachette, maybe we will open up on Army and he can get in some playing time, it would be nice to see him get some snaps, but no way does he become the starter.

• Topic Count:  433
  • Content Count:  2,657

I'm no QB guru, but I've played and watched enough football to know that you can't throw the ball accurately (unless you are Brett Favre) w/o setting your feet.

our OL did a decent job tonight of giving him time to throw but while he in the pocket he woud be hopping up and down with his legs going everywhere.  His mechanics are still a mess. Combine that with some questionable decisions and you wind up with 4 interceptions which could of easily been 6 or 7.

Do we tip our hats to SoPiss playing good defence or chalk it up to a safety playing QB? PJ would make a great safety.

• Topic Count:  89
  • Content Count:  1,267

As for the play calling S Bien, my only problem was near the end of the game when we didnt preserve the clock.  

There was about 5 minutes left on the clock and the offense was taking its time getting the play call, as well as making it to the line.  Finally we get to the line and dont score, so we go through this again.  Then the FG and now there is just over 3 minutes on the clock.  

By the time we get the ball back and score again, there is just over a minute left and the game comes down to wheather or not we can convert an onside kick.  Now if we had conserved the clock better we could have possibly had close to two minutes left in that situation and a chance to get the ball back.  Also mostly because of mental mistakes we consistantly waste time outs game after game, and dont have them available when we need them in this type of scenario.  I cannot remember the last time we got to 5 minutes left in the 4th quarter and still had all of our time outs.  

We had similar problems last year with clock management against UAB, which possibly lost us the chance to go to OT there, and possibly a win.

I know hindsight is 20/20, but I dont think this falls under that category.  This falls under bad coaching moves.  And I know I am not the only one, my entire section was screaming about the clock management when there was 5 minutes left, and precious seconds were ticking off the clock.  This is uncalled for.

• Group:  TBP Subscriber III
  • Topic Count:  4,751
  • Content Count:  37,675
  • Days Won:  29

Obviously Gachette isn't ready or we would've seen him by now, I just hope with the bye-week, we try to work a little more on I-formation with PJ under center with a FullBack.

Go BULLS !!!