• USF Bulls fans join us at The Bulls Pen

It's simple, free and connects you to other South Florida Bulls fans!

• Members do not see this ad, Register

Kansas/USF preview from Scouts Inc

• Group:  Member
  • Topic Count:  0
  • Content Count:  637
  • Days Won:  0

I respect Reesing, and relent that he may even be better than Grothe overall. However, I'm getting tired of him being touted as rediculously good by KU fans because of his stats this year. Why did he play the entire game of a 29-0 blow out? Sure seems like a great opportunity to pad your stats against inferfior teams. CJL would pull Grothe out of both games that KU has played, and demonstrated that against UTM.

Reesing is good, but his stats are padded right now. He's not as good as he appears.

Your right, 14-1 as a starter, 42tds to 11 ints.  Orange Bowl victory, set about every KU Qb record possible.  Career QB rating of around 150, almost 5000 yrds in the air. 0, that's right 0 fumbles over his career.  Nah, he's not that good.  All padded stats.

Because, I just said his entire career is padded stats? Thanks for reading everything, or reading accurately, I said this year his stats are padded because for some dumb reason he played the entire game in blowout situations. Can you offer an explanation? Does the coach not care if he gets injured?

BTW - We'll just ignore last year where he played nobody good OOC and managed to dodge almost all of the Big 12's best teams.

Like I said though, I respect him. I think he's probably a better college player than Grothe, and will certainly be the better pro if Grothe even magically makes it. Reesing certainly will (assuming the tougher SOS doesn't make him much worse).

So why did he play the entire games in blowout victories? Does Reesing need extra reps? LOL

• Replies 21
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Here's an example of the stuff I'm sick of hearing:

Reesing has thrown for 668 yards and six touchdowns with an interception in his first two games

Those are obviously great numbers, but they should be half of that for no other reason than he should've been pulled out at halftime or so. His stats right now are padded this year.

I simply cannot comprehend why Mangino would risk keeping him in when they were clear blowouts. Is his backup a 2nd string DE or something that Reesing cannot exit the field?

Perhaps Mangino is practicing with stats what he does with the OOC schedule. His remark about nobody will remember your OOC in December is true but hilarious. Well, nobody will remember when Reesing padded his stats this year either.

Grothe would probably have more yards than Reesing this year if he played a complete game against UTM, but he didn't.

• Content Count:  4,016

a Kansas run defense that has surrendered 4.0 yards per carry

If not for a 78 yard run on a trick play, KU would be giving up less than 3 ypc. But I wouldn't expect ESPN people to actually watch the games before writing their breakdowns.

As for pass rushing, KU averaged 2 per game last season, compared to the 2.3/gm for USF. Not a big difference. USF also gave up a few more sacks than KU, although we are breaking in two new OL (broke in three last year). Selvie is the only intimidating pass rusher on either team, but KU can definitely pressure the QB more than the writer makes you believe. Like USF, KU gets many tackles for loss (both teams were top 10 in that category) because both teams put a huge emphasis on stopping the run.

Both teams should put up points, but I don't think they'll be exchanging TD all night. The defenses are too good.

...this is why I want to see Chris Robinson in the game. He is scary coming from the other side.

Huh?...Chris Robinson was in a ton on passing situations against UCF playing opposite Selvie.  In fact on a few occasions they gave Selvie a breather they moved Buie to his spot and Robinson to Buie's.  I like Chris at DE, but I've found him to be far more dangerous in space, then rushing a passer.  I'd rather him at OLB, where he's good at tracking down ball carries, dropping into coverage, and occasionally rushing the passer.

• Content Count:  127

I respect Reesing, and relent that he may even be better than Grothe overall. However, I'm getting tired of him being touted as rediculously good by KU fans because of his stats this year. Why did he play the entire game of a 29-0 blow out? Sure seems like a great opportunity to pad your stats against inferfior teams. CJL would pull Grothe out of both games that KU has played, and demonstrated that against UTM.

Reesing is good, but his stats are padded right now. He's not as good as he appears.

Your right, 14-1 as a starter, 42tds to 11 ints.  Orange Bowl victory, set about every KU Qb record possible.  Career QB rating of around 150, almost 5000 yrds in the air. 0, that's right 0 fumbles over his career.  Nah, he's not that good.  All padded stats.

Because, I just said his entire career is padded stats? Thanks for reading everything, or reading accurately, I said this year his stats are padded because for some dumb reason he played the entire game in blowout situations. Can you offer an explanation? Does the coach not care if he gets injured?

BTW - We'll just ignore last year where he played nobody good OOC and managed to dodge almost all of the Big 12's best teams.

Like I said though, I respect him. I think he's probably a better college player than Grothe, and will certainly be the better pro if Grothe even magically makes it. Reesing certainly will (assuming the tougher SOS doesn't make him much worse).

So why did he play the entire games in blowout victories? Does Reesing need extra reps? LOL

I don't know why he played the whole game, could be trying to break in the freshmen on the OL, could be our #2 QB needed more work at the WR position.  who knows and who cares.  could be just Mangino padding his stats.  i love how people put him down because of the SoS last year but yet USC should have played in a NC game even though their SoS was lower than KU's.  with that easy schedule we were still picked to finish 5-7, also wasn't it USF that played 3, i repeat 3 divison 2 or lower teams last year.  Against D1 schools you guys were 6-4, while KU was 11-1.  But that's right, you guys played 3 ranked teams while KU only played, oh, 3 also.  Lost to #4 and then turned around and beat #3.  The more telling stat is not really what Reesing did to an average of 92 D but what our D did against the high powerd O's they faced.

• Content Count:  11

I hear what you are saying, and I'm not entirely sure why Mangino has left in Todd this year. Last year we saw Kerry Meier in the fourth quarter, and I don't really ever remember Mangino leaving in the starters all game in a blowout. I will say that Todd has mostly managed the running game in the fourth quarters, and has almost exclusively passed to convert third down situations. It's not that we are running up the score, or throwing all over the field... we haven't scored a point in the fourth quarter this year. All we are doing is milking the clock for all it's worth. You'd think we could do that with Kerry Meier managing the hand offs, but I'll give Mangino the benefit of the doubt. If Kerry Meier gets injured we lose a very vital part of our offense as well. The fourth quarters haven't been about padding stats, from what I've seen, it's been about closing out the game with a ball control offense. Perhaps the coaching staff feels our guys need work in that area. This has been a topic of discussion among KU fans, and no one really knows the answer.

• Content Count:  5,900
  • Days Won:  5

I don't know why he played the whole game, could be trying to break in the freshmen on the OL, could be our #2 QB needed more work at the WR position.  who knows and who cares.  could be just Mangino padding his stats.  i love how people put him down because of the SoS last year but yet USC should have played in a NC game even though their SoS was lower than KU's.  with that easy schedule we were still picked to finish 5-7, also wasn't it USF that played 3, i repeat 3 divison 2 or lower teams last year.  Against D1 schools you guys were 6-4, while KU was 11-1.  But that's right, you guys played 3 ranked teams while KU only played, oh, 3 also.  Lost to #4 and then turned around and beat #3.  The more telling stat is not really what Reesing did to an average of 92 D but what our D did against the high powerd O's they faced.

...To answer your question, NO. Get your facts straight.

• Content Count:  4,016

You are right on the mark.  The past isn't indicative of the future.  Why did Reesing throw the ball 52 times against FIU, and 32-38 against Latech?  He's played the entire games.  You want a prime example, Reesing threw a 3 yard TD against FIU with 4minutes left in the third, and they were up 33-10 at that point.

I think the reason the stats are padded is because technically his back-up is still Keier Meyers, and he's a solid possession receiver for KU now, but it seems a bit extreme for KU to be throwing it so much against those two opponents.  It definitely led to Reesing's stats being a bit skewed.  By comparison Grothe only played most of the 1st half against UT-Martin (sat for two full series in the 2nd quarter), and only threw 8 passes completing 6.  

You want to both really compare numbers in the passing game?  This will give you something to consider.  Reesing has thrown 69 competions for 684 yards, with his a 9.9ypc, Grothe has throw 29 completions against 454 passing yards, that means he's throwing for 15.7ypc.  That's nearly a full 6 yard differential.  USF has run for 469 yards in two games, on 96 carries which is nearly 4.9 ypc, KU has run 69 carries for 254 yards or 3.7ypc.  Using sagarin, and the dunkle power index, our schedule of UCF and UT-Martin is generally considered a slightly better schedule than Latech, and FIU.  Check it out KU fans, FIU is worse than about 1/3 of the 1-AA programs right now, and would easily get beaten by UT-Martin who had more BCS recruits on their roster than FIU has, and at worst most would agree UCF and Latech are a push...but simply put let's just say the schedules are equal for argument sake.

Those stats reflect a very interesting situation or rather comparison.  First, it illustrates that thus far USF's OL has been generally dominant on the LOS, giving more time, and more holes for our teams to exploit.  Secondly, it means so far everytime a bull touches the ball they average 10.3ypt, whereas KU is at 6.8ypt, clearly that's an average, but it means more bigger plays for USF, and larger chunks of yards being grabbed.  This is important, because thus far we've both played inferior opponents, but two teams, against two good defenses it's going to be about controlling the line of scrimmage and big play opportunity.  Neither of our defenses is going to get dink and dunked against all night, so the team that can grab yards and advantages quickly will hold the key.

• Content Count:  1,387
  • Days Won:  1

Who cares?!

Who cares?!

Apparently the Bulls fan above your post does. And, apparently KU fans have wondered as well.

It's hard to gauge exactly how good Reesing is this year when he's thrown so many times against bad teams, in blowout victories. His stats are skewed for this year, right now. So, perhaps KU fans are talking too much about Reesing when it comes to him tearing up our defense and/or being a legit Heisman candidate.

• Content Count:  1,387
  • Days Won:  1

Who cares?!

Apparently the Bulls fan above your post does. And, apparently KU fans have wondered as well.

It's hard to gauge exactly how good Reesing is this year when he's thrown so many times against bad teams, in blowout victories. His stats are skewed for this year, right now. So, perhaps KU fans are talking too much about Reesing when it comes to him tearing up our defense and/or being a legit Heisman candidate.

We'll all find out tomorrow night just how good Reesing is!  ;)

Archived