• USF Bulls fans join us at The Bulls Pen

It's simple, free and connects you to other South Florida Bulls fans!

• Members do not see this ad, Register

Kansas/USF preview from Scouts Inc

• Group:  Member
  • Topic Count:  0
  • Content Count:  715
  • Days Won:  0

Kansas offense vs. South Florida defense

Kansas QB Todd Reesing has been nothing short of outstanding thus far, completing 76.7 percent of his passes for 668 yards and six touchdowns while throwing just one interception. In the process, he's spread the ball around to a deep and versatile receiving corps that features Kerry Meier, Dezmon Briscoe and Daymond Patterson. Meier has developed into a reliable possession receiver with excellent size, and he is a nice complement to playmakers Briscoe and Patterson. None of this bodes well for a South Florida secondary that has two first-year starting corners in Tyler Roberts and Jerome Murphy and lacks ideal depth. Needless to say, the Bulls' pass rush needs to keep Reesing off-balance.

On one hand, there's reason to be optimistic about South Florida's ability to get to Reesing. After all, DEs George Selvie, who is one of the most explosive defensive linemen in the nation, and Jarriett Buie will work against redshirt freshmen OTs Jeff Spikes and Jeremiah Hatch. The noise level at Raymond James Stadium will make that even more of an issue, as Reesing could find it difficult to change his cadence, and the offensive line could have problems communicating. On the other hand, Reesing's ability to read defenses and locate favorable matchups allows him to get the ball out of his hands quickly. In addition, as talented as the South Florida defensive line is, it has struggled to mount a consistent pass rush so far this season. That said, it's imperative that the Bulls' back seven wrap up and limit the production after the catch, which is easier said than done against players like Briscoe and Patterson.

Jayhawks RBs Jake Sharp, Jocques Crawford and Angus Quigley have shared the load thus far and give Kansas a talented and deep backfield. But the offensive line has struggled to create running room, and it's unlikely that will change this week. South Florida NT Sampson Genus is a former offensive lineman who is still learning the nuances of the defensive tackle position, but he has the size and strength to help clog up the middle. Genus is surrounded by three players who excel at disrupting plays in the backfield in Selvie, Buie and DT Aaron Harris. If the front four causes all kinds of problems, the Jayhawks will have a hard time getting blockers up to the second level. As a result, Bulls SLB Tyrone McKenzie and his fellow linebackers should have room to swarm to the ball.

South Florida offense vs. Kansas defense

South Florida is banged up at running back, as Mike Ford is questionable after missing the UCF game last week with an ankle injury and Ben Williams left that game with an ankle injury. At this point it's unclear whether either will play this week, but it might not matter. For starters, RBs Jamar Taylor and Mo Planchar have made the most of their opportunities, with Taylor averaging 5.0 yards per carry and Planchar averaging 6.8 yards. A big reason for their success has been an offensive line that has a good blend of experience, size and talent. This unit should again win the battle in the trenches and open seams for its backs, especially between the tackles, where Kansas lacks ideal depth and experience.

Making matters worse, a Kansas run defense that has surrendered 4.0 yards per carry this season also has to slow down mobile South Florida QB Matt Grothe. The Jayhawks must do this without getting caught out of position, and that's a formidable challenge considering the Bulls' use of misdirection. If Kansas LBs Joe Mortensen, James Holt and Mike Rivera get caught locking in on Grothe and collapsing on him at the snap of the ball, it will open up seams for the South Florida backs. However, Jayhawks SS Darrell Stuckey has a nose for the football and is relentless in pursuit, which should help the Jayhawks limit the Bulls' big plays in the running game.

South Florida offensive coordinator Greg Gregory's attack is run-heavy, but that doesn't mean there's no talent at receiver. Taurus Johnson is a playmaker coming off the best game of his career, and A.J. Love has flashed great potential. In addition, both Jessie Hester and TE Cedric Hill have shown a knack for getting into the end zone, combining for four touchdowns thus far. Meanwhile, Kansas CB Kendrick Harper left last week's game after sustaining a neck injury. He's expected to make a full recovery but may not be able to play this week, and he is by far the most experienced member of the cornerback unit. Making matters far worse, the Jayhawks have struggled to mount a consistent pass rush, and South Florida's offensive line is in better position to keep them at bay this week.

Grothe is a gunslinger who takes too many chances when he's forced to get rid of the ball quickly, but he also can locate the open man when he gets enough time. As a result, Kansas defensive coordinator Clint Bowen is in a bind. Blitzing often could result in turnovers, but he also risks that Grothe could beat his defense over the top as well. If Bowen stays too conservative and consistently drops into zone coverage, Grothe has the weapons and touch to pick the secondary apart. Bowen has to find the right mix of pressure packages and conservative coverage packages.

Special Teams

Key individual matchup

Kansas LOT Jeff Spikes vs. South Florida RDE George Selvie

Expectations are high for Spikes, a redshirt freshman with the size and athletic ability to be a four-year starter at left tackle. It's unlikely he will wilt under the bright lights come Friday, and he should have some success driving the much-smaller Selvie off the ball when Kansas runs behind him. However, the Kansas offense is best suited to move the ball through the air right now, and that plays into Selvie's hands. Though he has yet to record a sack this year, Selvie will be able to pin back his ears and explode up the field more often than he would against other teams, given the Jayhawks' pass-heavy attack. Considering his rare initial quickness and closing speed, he should be able to turn the corner unless Spikes takes it away with a wide kick step. The problem with taking this approach is that it opens up the inside gap, and Selvie is athletic enough to redirect if he sees Spikes trying to take away the outside. In addition, the Jayhawks could help Spikes by keeping in TE Bradley Dedeaux to help out in pass protection, but Dedeaux is a first-year starter who's still developing into an effective pass-blocker at this level. 

After missing the season opener because of an eligibility issue, Jacob Branstetter replaced Alsonso Rojas as Kansas' place-kicker last week and connected on all three of his field-goal attempts. In addition, Rojas connected on both of his field-goal attempts in the season opener, so the Jayhawks should have confidence in him if they need to bring him into the game. Branstetter is expected to handle the kickoffs, and he's averaging 62 yards per attempt. He will kick to South Florida KORs Taurus Johnson, Dontavia Bogan and Jerome Murphy. All three are capable of breaking long returns, so Kansas must continue to cover kickoffs well. Meanwhile, Rojas will handle the punting duties for the Jayhawks and has shown above-average range as well as adequate accuracy in that role, but Kansas did surrender a 74-yard punt return for a touchdown in the season opener. South Florida PR Marcus Edwards is averaging an impressive 15.4 yards per return, and although he left last week's game with a rib injury, his backup Pat Richardson has a long return of 29 yards this year. The Jayhawks can't afford a similar breakdown in punt coverage this week.

At this point, South Florida has more questions than answers when it comes to its kicking game, and it starts with the place-kicking. Delbert Alvarado has connected on just one of four field goal attempts, and one of those misses was a blocked 46-yard field attempt last week. Though he is listed as the starter on the depth chart, there's a chance that backup Justin Teachey could either start or replace Alvarado at some point during the game. Teachey is expected to handle the kickoffs and is averaging a respectable 65.1 yards per attempt. However, it's important that he gets excellent hang time on his kickoffs and that his cover team eliminates the mistakes it made when UCF KOR Joe Burnett returned a kickoff 91 yards for a touchdown against the Bulls last week. Kansas KOR Marcus Herford hasn't made a splash thus far, but he was one of the most dangerous kickoff-return men in the Big 12 last year and took two back for touchdowns. Alvarado also handles the punting duties for South Florida, and he's shown good range in that role. Again, though, getting good hang time on his punts is critical. Why? The Bulls' punt coverage also was leaky last week, and Jayhawks PR Daymond Patterson returned a punt 75 yards for a touchdown during Kansas' season opener against FIU.

Scouts' Edge

It would be easy to dismiss South Florida after watching the Bulls struggle against underdog UCF last week. Their special-teams problems the past two games cannot be ignored, either. Kansas likely will keep this game close because of its superior special teams and Reesing's play, but South Florida ultimately will win because of is its defensive front. This game shapes up as a shootout, as both offenses will move the ball well. However, unlike the Jayhawks, the Bulls have the pass-rushers up front to get to Reesing and disrupt his rhythm without blitzing. They will pressure Reesing into a few mistakes that will result in stalled drives and/or turnovers, and that will open the door for South Florida to eke out the win. On the flip side, Kansas' inability to get to Grothe with its front four greatly reduces the chances of his turning over the ball.

Prediction: Bulls 35, Jayhawks 34

• Replies 21
  • Created
  • Last Reply

• Content Count:  6,928

Prediction: Bulls 35, Jayhawks 34

I'll take that score.

• Content Count:  40

a Kansas run defense that has surrendered 4.0 yards per carry

If not for a 78 yard run on a trick play, KU would be giving up less than 3 ypc. But I wouldn't expect ESPN people to actually watch the games before writing their breakdowns.

As for pass rushing, KU averaged 2 per game last season, compared to the 2.3/gm for USF. Not a big difference. USF also gave up a few more sacks than KU, although we are breaking in two new OL (broke in three last year). Selvie is the only intimidating pass rusher on either team, but KU can definitely pressure the QB more than the writer makes you believe. Like USF, KU gets many tackles for loss (both teams were top 10 in that category) because both teams put a huge emphasis on stopping the run.

Both teams should put up points, but I don't think they'll be exchanging TD all night. The defenses are too good.

• Content Count:  5,900
  • Days Won:  5

a Kansas run defense that has surrendered 4.0 yards per carry

If not for a 78 yard run on a trick play, KU would be giving up less than 3 ypc. But I wouldn't expect ESPN people to actually watch the games before writing their breakdowns.

As for pass rushing, KU averaged 2 per game last season, compared to the 2.3/gm for USF. Not a big difference. USF also gave up a few more sacks than KU, although we are breaking in two new OL (broke in three last year). Selvie is the only intimidating pass rusher on either team, but KU can definitely pressure the QB more than the writer makes you believe. Like USF, KU gets many tackles for loss (both teams were top 10 in that category) because both teams put a huge emphasis on stopping the run.

Both teams should put up points, but I don't think they'll be exchanging TD all night. The defenses are too good.

...this is why I want to see Chris Robinson in the game. He is scary coming from the other side.

• Content Count:  2,461

+1 for Kansas (receivers)

+1 for Kansas, special teams

+1 for USF pass rush

+1 for USF running game (I think you'll see Ford a lot, your line will have trouble)

I think I just summed up the game.

Our receivers aren't as great as that article makes it sound... Grothe does make mistakes when he sits in the pocket too long, but he can really throw on the run.

I think it'll be high scoring.

• Content Count:  11

It wasn't really a trick play, it was a just an end around to a sub 4.4 reciever that fooled our defense. But the point remains that opposing running backs are not having much much success against this defense, and haven't had much success the last few years. I think KU has only given up 100 yards to a running back 4 times in the last 3 years. You are right, though, other than that one 78 yard run KU is giving up 2.6 ypc this year. Defending the run isn't something that KU fans have worried about in a long time and seems to be an odd point to suggest is a weakness. We have four big, active, talented DT's who do a very good job of clogging the middle and freeing up our Linebackers. KU has a lot of talent and depth at DT. Our DE's are very strong against the run as well, if not the greatest pass rushers. I will say that I'm concerned about Grothe scrambling because there have been some breakdowns vs LaTech and FIU where the QBs picked up some first downs on scramble plays. We can't afford to let Grothe loose on scrambles, because he will burn us.

• Content Count:  40

+1 for USF running game (I think you'll see Ford a lot, your line will have trouble)

Maybe, but nearly all teams have struggled to run against KU much the last three years. But I know that our terrible '06 pass defense contributed the low rushing totals.

The line play hasn't been great since '05, but the linebackers have been exceptional every year. They've made up for any deficiencies. We lost our best interior pass rusher to graduation, but we return a LB group that with at least five interchangeable players, and veteran ends that both excel at containing the outside run. This defense does whatever they can to force teams to pass. That's partly why KU has problems with pass-heavy teams like Missouri.

• Content Count:  637

I respect Reesing, and relent that he may even be better than Grothe overall. However, I'm getting tired of him being touted as rediculously good by KU fans because of his stats this year. Why did he play the entire game of a 29-0 blow out? Sure seems like a great opportunity to pad your stats against inferfior teams. CJL would pull Grothe out of both games that KU has played, and demonstrated that against UTM.

Reesing is good, but his stats are padded right now. He's not as good as he appears.

• Content Count:  2,461

Maybe, but nearly all teams have struggled to run against KU much the last three years. But I know that our terrible '06 pass defense contributed the low rushing totals.

The line play hasn't been great since '05, but the linebackers have been exceptional every year. They've made up for any deficiencies. We lost our best interior pass rusher to graduation, but we return a LB group that with at least five interchangeable players, and veteran ends that both excel at containing the outside run. This defense does whatever they can to force teams to pass. That's partly why KU has problems with pass-heavy teams like Missouri.

IF Ford gets to the secondary, you really have to watch out. He is a big, physical guy, who is also quite speedy. I think he is the #1 weapon on the ground against you guys, otherwise our running game might struggle. USF has had trouble establishing the run in the past couple seasons, but this is the season something might break. We have a lot of competition at RB and I honestly think it is time for one of them to come in big. I think that one is Ford, but wouldn't be surprised to see it be Plancher or Taylor. Williams could have a big game, but he's usually in for blocking or short yardage.

• Content Count:  127

I respect Reesing, and relent that he may even be better than Grothe overall. However, I'm getting tired of him being touted as rediculously good by KU fans because of his stats this year. Why did he play the entire game of a 29-0 blow out? Sure seems like a great opportunity to pad your stats against inferfior teams. CJL would pull Grothe out of both games that KU has played, and demonstrated that against UTM.

Reesing is good, but his stats are padded right now. He's not as good as he appears.

Your right, 14-1 as a starter, 42tds to 11 ints.  Orange Bowl victory, set about every KU Qb record possible.  Career QB rating of around 150, almost 5000 yrds in the air. 0, that's right 0 fumbles over his career.  Nah, he's not that good.  All padded stats.

Archived