• USF Bulls fans join us at The Bulls Pen

It's simple, free and connects you to other South Florida Bulls fans!

• Members do not see this ad, Register

Shutting down Reesing and the spread

Sunil

• Group:  Member
  • Topic Count:  0
  • Content Count:  11
  • Days Won:  0

Gotcha. VT was more than decent last year on defense, though. They were top 5 defense across the board... scoring, pass efficiency, rushing, total... they were the best defense I've seen in a few years and had several players drafted from it. While Missouri wasn't his best performance, Reesing still passed for 349 yards and 2tds... I'll take that for a bad performance.

Who knows. We may go with a heavy ground game at USF, but we'll see how much the coaches open things up. As I mentioned, they have played things close to the vest on the road before. Some times Mangino seems perfectly content to play a field position, grind it out type of strategy on the road, and may just do that at USF.

• Replies 46
  • Created
  • Last Reply

• Content Count:  13,697
  • Days Won:  45

Is it just me or am I the only that doesn't really fear KU's offense and Reesing?  I think the guy is a good game manager and a decent QB...

If the only game you are basing this on is VT then you really haven't really seen KU's offense. KU's passing game is a true spread attack, it's NOT based on a short passing attack (that would be KSU, not KU). KU is just as likely to pass to the flat, as they are to pass to a crossing pattern, as they are to throw 20 yards down the field, as they are to run between the tackles. KU truely "spreads" the field and attacks all parts of it. I will say that on the road last year, against teams like aTm and Colorado, we played things closer to the vest than usual. Both games we went with much more of a rush heavy, ball control type of offense. Against other teams on the road, they opened things up more. I think it depends on how they decide to attack a defense. The offense last year was very versatile and could shift gears from a high flying passing attack to a grind it out, power running game. Often mixing the two.

Reesing is a lot of things, elusive, accurate, competitive, strong armed, but calling him a "game manager" is a first to me. There are plenty of clips on youtube of him showing how accurate he is throwing down field; Reesing didn't have one of the top QB ratings in the nation by throwing nothing but short passes. And one thing you might notice on a lot of his highlights... he is incredibly accurate on the move. Flush him from the pocket, and he doesn't dump down to his safety valve- he guns it down the field. Top that off with the fact he rarely makes bad decisions (33TD, 7INT last year) and he often seems more dangerous when the pressure it on.

Understandably this is going to come off as a homer post on your board. I think, though, if you look at the numbers Reesing put up last year, it's justified. As a sophomore, he practically broke every single QB record at KU... not that we've had a lot of "great" QB's, but we do have over a 100 years worth to compare to. It's probably not far off to say Reesing is the best QB ever at KU (older KU fans will argue with me there- Nolan Cromwell, Bobby Douglass, John Hadl, etc...). Judging by the tone of some of the posts here, there will likely be some surprised USF fans when Reesing shows up on Friday. Reesing is a playmaker, not a game manager.

Didn't relaize KU was the 85 bears and that Reesing was a hybrid of Peyton Manning and Mike Vick  ;)

Didn't relaize KU was the 85 bears and that Reesing was a hybrid of Peyton Manning and Mike Vick  ;)

lol. Like I said, it was probably going to sound homerish. My only real point was to argue against the general idea that seemed to be floating around that Reesing is a game manager who thrived on nothing but short passes and would panic when pressured. When the reality is Reesing is a playmaker who steps up and often performs best under pressure. No, he's not Mike Vick or Peyton Manning, and there is a minuscule chance of him ever playing a down in the NFL, or even seeing an NFL roster... he's just too small. That doesn't mean he isn't a very good college QB.

• Content Count:  8,044
  • Days Won:  9

lol. Like I said, it was probably going to sound homerish. My only real point was to argue against the general idea that seemed to be floating around that Reesing is a game manager who thrived on nothing but short passes and would panic when pressured. When the reality is Reesing is a playmaker who steps up and often performs best under pressure. No, he's not Mike Vick or Peyton Manning, and there is a minuscule chance of him ever playing a down in the NFL, or even seeing an NFL roster... he's just too small. That doesn't mean he isn't a very good college QB.

Reesing and Grothe sound like twins.  This game will be interesting.  I really have no idea how this game will turn out, but I give the bulls the advantage because we play at home.  This should be one hell of a game.

• Content Count:  2,726

Reesing won't be as elusive against us because our front 7 is much much faster and athletic than your used to seeing.  If he runs around like he did in that OSU clip you put up expect some forced fumbles and big losses on sacks. Selvie's motor NEVER stops and the longer Reesing holds the ball the more likely hes going to spend some quality time with George.  There is a reason why we give WVU and Pat White fits and thats because he can't use his speed to get the corner or big scrambles,, or even be elusive in the pocket if we can run down Pat White we can definitely run down Reesing. 

BINGO!!!

I was thinking the same thing.  These guys think they are as fast as WVU was last year.  EVEN WITH SLATON, and DEVINE.

They are delirious.

Reesing is good.  But I still like our chances in Tampa this Friday. 

If we bring the A-game, it should be a great night for USF. 

Kansas is a great team, but USF is better.

GO BULLS!!!

• Content Count:  2,726

Is it just me or am I the only that doesn't really fear KU's offense and Reesing?  I think the guy is a good game manager and a decent QB...

If the only game you are basing this on is VT then you really haven't really seen KU's offense. KU's passing game is a true spread attack, it's NOT based on a short passing attack (that would be KSU, not KU). KU is just as likely to pass to the flat, as they are to pass to a crossing pattern, as they are to throw 20 yards down the field, as they are to run between the tackles. KU truely "spreads" the field and attacks all parts of it. I will say that on the road last year, against teams like aTm and Colorado, we played things closer to the vest than usual. Both games we went with much more of a rush heavy, ball control type of offense. Against other teams on the road, they opened things up more. I think it depends on how they decide to attack a defense. The offense last year was very versatile and could shift gears from a high flying passing attack to a grind it out, power running game. Often mixing the two.

Reesing is a lot of things, elusive, accurate, competitive, strong armed, but calling him a "game manager" is a first to me. There are plenty of clips on youtube of him showing how accurate he is throwing down field; Reesing didn't have one of the top QB ratings in the nation by throwing nothing but short passes. And one thing you might notice on a lot of his highlights... he is incredibly accurate on the move. Flush him from the pocket, and he doesn't dump down to his safety valve- he guns it down the field. Top that off with the fact he rarely makes bad decisions (33TD, 7INT last year) and he often seems more dangerous when the pressure it on.

Understandably this is going to come off as a homer post on your board. I think, though, if you look at the numbers Reesing put up last year, it's justified. As a sophomore, he practically broke every single QB record at KU... not that we've had a lot of "great" QB's, but we do have over a 100 years worth to compare to. It's probably not far off to say Reesing is the best QB ever at KU (older KU fans will argue with me there- Nolan Cromwell, Bobby Douglass, John Hadl, etc...). Judging by the tone of some of the posts here, there will likely be some surprised USF fans when Reesing shows up on Friday. Reesing is a playmaker, not a game manager.

I completely agree with you, Jayhawk9. 

You know who else is a playmaker?  Matt Grothe (our QB)

This will be a good game. 

GO BULLS!!!

Reesing won't be as elusive against us because our front 7 is much much faster and athletic than your used to seeing.  If he runs around like he did in that OSU clip you put up expect some forced fumbles and big losses on sacks. Selvie's motor NEVER stops and the longer Reesing holds the ball the more likely hes going to spend some quality time with George.  There is a reason why we give WVU and Pat White fits and thats because he can't use his speed to get the corner or big scrambles,, or even be elusive in the pocket if we can run down Pat White we can definitely run down Reesing. 

BINGO!!!

I was thinking the same thing.  These guys think they are as fast as WVU was last year.  EVEN WITH SLATON, and DEVINE.

Reesing is elusive, not fast. No one has ever accused Reesing of being a running QB, but he is mobile. He is hard to track down and tackle, he has very good pocket awareness and is generally very good about slithering out of trouble. He's completely different than Pat White, or Grothe, or even our Kerry Meier and other running, mobile QB's. When Reesing scrambles he does so while staying behind the line of scrimmage and looking for recievers downfield. He won't often break off on long QB scrambles unless he has pretty much gone through every progression, and then gives his recievers a chance to come back to him. He is very good about buying time, not that he is a huge running threat.

Archived