• USF Bulls fans join us at The Bulls Pen

It's simple, free and connects you to other South Florida Bulls fans!

• Members do not see this ad, Register

Shutting down Reesing and the spread

Sunil

• Group:  Member
  • Topic Count:  0
  • Content Count:  1,260
  • Days Won:  0

In this part of the country, other than diehards...we just don't watch too much Big 12. The Jayhawk offense is extremely potent and capable of putting up big numbers. Their version of the spread seems to key on high percentage passes with short quick routes. Their QB Todd Reesing is a 3rd year starter with some impressive stats. So far this year (vs. FIU and La Tech) he's thrown for 668 yards, 6TD's and completed 76% of his passes.

Facing that type of offense, our pressure and coverage has to show up this week. I noticed that Verpaele and the safeties played alot of corner last week (our backup cb's were on the bench)...those younger guys better be prepared to see alot of playing time this week.

• Replies 46
  • Created
  • Last Reply

• Content Count:  919

The safeties play the nickel position.  I noticed Q came in when Murph got hurt last week.  Butler is banged up and might not play.  Hope Theo is ready to go to add depth back there, because you are right, we will need it versus Kansas.

• Content Count:  13,697
  • Days Won:  45

The defensive tackles need to move the inside of the pocket and force Reesing to move his feet so he won't be as effective on the short routes.  I would also like to see some press coverage to throw off the timing of the offense.  With the type of offense the KU runs timing is everything and we need to do as much as possible to throw that timing off or it could be a long night. 

• Content Count:  5,900
  • Days Won:  5

The defensive tackles need to move the inside of the pocket and force Reesing to move his feet so he won't be as effective on the short routes.  I would also like to see some press coverage to throw off the timing of the offense.  With the type of offense the KU runs timing is everything and we need to do as much as possible to throw that timing off or it could be a long night. 

I agree, our Murph and Roberts are going to need to be physical. We should probably end up with 2-3 pass interference calls if we are covering like we need to. Not that I want to see penalties, but like you said, they run quick timing routes, and I'd rather our guys mis-time the contact than not be there and let a quick slant turn into a big play.

Still think Robinson needs to see some time in this one. Guy is a playmaker.

I agree, our Murph and Roberts are going to need to be physical. We should probably end up with 2-3 pass interference calls if we are covering like we need to. Not that I want to see penalties, but like you said, they run quick timing routes, and I'd rather our guys mis-time the contact than not be there and let a quick slant turn into a big play.

Still think Robinson needs to see some time in this one. Guy is a playmaker.

I agree.  I would love to see Selvie and C-Rob on the ends in every 3rd and long or obvious passing situation.  They keyword for our team this game should be pressure, pressure on the qb, pressure on the WRs, pressure on their LB's with alot of misdirection, and pressure that secondary with deep shots down the field. 

• Content Count:  8,044
  • Days Won:  9

KU has two RS Freshman offensive tackles.  From what I've seen Kansas fans say they could block trains.  So, our best bet will be to confuse them with blitz packages.  There have been few blitzes this year so Kansas wont have much film for the young guys to see.  I think this could be what tips the scales for USF.

• Content Count:  23,185
  • Days Won:  65

Of course Kansas fans are going to say that.  I don't think they've seen anything like our DEs from FIU or LaTech yet.

Of course Kansas fans are going to say that.  I don't think they've seen anything like our DEs from FIU or LaTech yet.

If they don't double Selvie he is going to be very disruptive.  Mangino is  good coach so im sure they are going to give the Freshman some help against George which means our DT's need to really move the inside of the pocket. 

• Content Count:  23,185
  • Days Won:  65

To shut down Reesing, we need to contain.  Our DEs can't take a straight line to him.

• Content Count:  1,260

Crowd noise could also make a huge difference in the game. With young tackles and multiple receivers split wide, we need to make it as hard as possible for Reesing to make adjustments at the line.

Archived